Electronic Arts Signs Exclusive Star Wars Game Deal With Disney

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Seriously people wait for the flippin games to be released before you put on your drama queen dress.

Isn't everyone always bitching for a new Star Wars Battlefront? And the guys who make Battlefield are gonna be making Star Wars games?
That just makes it worse. Battlefront is inspired by battlefield, its not battlefield.TOR is enough reason to start digging the grave. EA is the worst company and I will never buy from them again.

Nurb said:
Stop! Stop! Star Wars is already dead!

My thoughts exactly.

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
That's it. If anyone can put Star Wars even more in the ground it's EA. I had some hope that there will be a good star wars game in the future (Battlefront 3 anyone?)but here goes all hope

captcha: usual suspects
^It's like EA to mess up any thing good.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
I saw the headline and as pretty much most people here have posted ... "Nooooo ... anyone but EA!"

Why Disney couldn't have left LucasArts alone (and alive) and just directed them to build some new SW games?

Even if EA does a new Tie Fighter game, I won't touch Origin again to try it.

why oh why EA?!?!?

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Also Andy, don't ever use that picture again.
Am I the only one who didn't mind that edit?

Like the new movies or not, they are part of the canon, and it makes sense for Anakins ghost to...well look like anakin.

OT: Well, those are good devs, but how bad is EA gonna fuck those games up with micro transactions?
I dunno, I always thought it was meant to be how Luke saw them, so it would make more sense for it to be older Anakin rather than young one.

Honestly, got no clue. But on topic, yeah I think I'm in agreement with the stop stop its already dead thing.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
And henceforth, all Star Wars games were cheap cash-grabs published as Origin exclusives, and soon the Star Wars brand name was slathered with more ignominy than that of the repeatedly disgraced Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010

Okay.

EA, you're a company populated by massive idiots, but you're not immune from making good games.
Battlefield 3 had a crap single player mode, but it's multiplayer was a hell lot of fun, and it's obvious Battlefront series was based on your series in the first place.
Sim City had an absolutely disastrous release due to its DRM and its buggy A.I; elements that EVERYONE has warned you about beforehand. The idea showed promise, and the idea of connected cities isn't a bad idea so long as it. but you had to ruin a good concept with bad mechanics and execution for the purpose of internet connectivity.
Mass Effect's last installment was horrid, but even so the entirety of the series is one of the best science fiction RPGs in recent times. It's just a shame that your meddling caused the series to end on such a bad note.
The problem with you, EA, is that you sabotage your own efforts to make good games by adding unnecessary features that supposedly benefit the game experience, and you ignore the input of fans despite the fact that their advice could save your games from exploding in front of your faces.

But considering the output of Lucasarts before its demise was arguably worse than even your company's lineup, transferring rights of future Star Wars games to you isn't going to do much damage already. Possibly it could diminish the chances of a good Star Wars even further, but then again you're the company who made Battlefield. What better company to publish a Star Wars Battlefront game than the publisher of the very game that inspired it? Hell, according to the deal you're going to get DICE working on a Star Wars game; that alone is exciting already.
Bioware already made Star Wars: The Old Republic and KOTOR. The latter's gameplay was meh but still had a good story, and the former contributed so much to the Star Wars mythos while being a great RPG at the same time.
And then there's Visceral. Dead Space 3 completely dropped the horror aspect of the series by making it into a bland multiplayer shooter. I've yet to see a good game that can convey horror by giving it a multiplayer mode, but the co-op elements alone were decent. Who knows, we could actually have a Han Solo-related game coming from them if they aren't pushed into aiming for as many audiences as possible (which is unfortunately not likely).
They're good developers who can at least make a game that the late Lucasarts wasn't able to produce in the past five years, and they really show promise. The only thing that can hinder them is EA's incredibly moronic corporate practices that hinder any chance for innovation or interesting deviation from other games.

But so long as there's still a teaspoon potential, EA, I'm going to do this:

I'm going to take a look at the next three Star Wars games coming out of your developers. Not play, look. I'll only bother to purchase one of your games if it's either exceptionally good or if it's Battlefront 3. If at least TWO of them grade above average in my books, I will consider your deal to Disney as "okay", at least until the next three games come around; in which case I will judge them with the same formula.

Aside from resisting the urge to detonate a thought bomb [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thought_bomb] within your headquarters, it's the very least I can do.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Part of me wants to post the ol' Darth Vader "Noooooooo" scream. But the other part wants to hold out to see what this brings (Battlefront 3 come on already!) and I trust the developers. My main concern is and I hope someone here can give me some insight on this is, If I want these games for PC, do you think we'll have to go through Origin to get them? Because that would make me sad.

captcha: never mind. No Captcha, I really need to know!

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
it must be done...

I for one am going to wait and see what they come up with before making a judgement call, from everything I've been reading it has the potential to go either way.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Akalabeth said:
thehorror2 said:
That's EXACTLY WHY WE'RE WORRIED! We don't want the guys who turned Battlefield 3 into CoD 4 to do the same thing to Battlefront!
Eh, I dunno what COD4 is like but I played both MW3 and BF3 and the games don't play the same.

RicoADF said:
That just makes it worse. Battlefront is inspired by battlefield, its not battlefield.TOR is enough reason to start digging the grave. EA is the worst company and I will never buy from them again.
What's the problem with TOR? That it wasn't single player? My understanding of TOR's problems is that it simply didn't have enough content, so players burned it through it too quickly, and since the content is of a higher quality than say other MMOs then it makes sense.

I only played half of KOTOR1 and then got bored. Bioware games in general I haven't been able to play at any length so when people get up in arms about alleged declining quality of ME or DA or whatever doesn't mean much.

If EA puts out a Star Wars game that looks good I'll buy it. If they don't, I wont buy it. Simple as that.

So far nearly everyone in the thread is complaining about EA getting the games, but they're not suggesting who would have been a better choice.
I dont get where you got not SP as the issue. TOR is shit because it feels like a reskin, of WoW, there's no real space combat, jedi are boring as he just keeps waving his stick at the enemy like its a fly swatter not fighting as jedi do, see jedi academy for a reference of it done right. Basically it doesn't feel like star wars. Which is a bloody massive issue and one I don't want to see in other star wars games.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Irridium said:
So I assume this means Obsidian's proposed Star Wars game isn't happening.

Damn...
That was my first thought as well.

Whatever, Star Wars' ship has sailed for me anyway. That franchise has been abused beyond repair.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
My main problem with this is that it'll mean that pretty much any future Star Wars game will be an Origin exclusive...

Plus, all the old awesome SW games might end up on Origin now as well - instead of steam

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Ldude893 said:

Okay.

EA, you're a company populated by massive idiots, but you're not immune from making good games.
Battlefield 3 had a crap single player mode, but it's multiplayer was a hell lot of fun, and it's obvious Battlefront series was based on your series in the first place.
Battlefront was based on Battlefield, but it was all DICE back then. EA began courting DICE and buying controlling stock back in 05 or 04, when Battlefield 2 was already far into production and they finalized the purchase the year it shipped, iirc. Now, whether you prefer 1942, BF2 or 2142 to the newer releases is up to personal taste, but there's been a visible shift in the direction of the series since EA brought DICE into the fold. DICE proved to me they could make great games, EA/DICE has yet to do so.
My problem is with the exclusive nature of the deal. We have a great example of what EA does without competition with Madden and NCAA Football. They pump out a new title every year which iterates on the previous games just enough to avoid being only a roster update. They'll have no competition with Star Wars games. If Battlefront 3 is CoD with lasers (and this does not appeal to you), who else can you turn to for a Star Wars fix? Another EA dev.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Suppose we should have seen this coming when Lucas arts got the chop, how the hell didn't we? I'm guessing the cart load of money EA gave Disney for this "multi-year" "exclusive deal" was a good incentive to P45 all those in house guys.

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
You know, as someone whose main experience of the Star Wars universe is through the games (never seen the films)
STAY AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAKKK!!!

But seriously, I'd really hoped Obsidian/Chris Avellone could make another Star Wars.
KOTOR II with Restored Content is one of the best SW experiences ever.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
ALERT: Your lightsaber is out of power. You can wait for it to recharge in 24 hours, or you can purchase a 50% refill for 99 cents or a 100% refill for $1.99.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Yeah, I suppose this is more of a Zynga thing; EA will just charge you for the ending.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
*pauses and thinks to self*

Something weird is happening... I'm... not breaking out into a rage.

My gosh... I finally did it... I LET GO OF BEING A STAR WARS NERD! I'M MERELY HOPEFUL THAT VISCERAL AND DICE PRODUCE FUN GAMES! It's finally happened! I AM SO HAPPY!

*glances at everyone raging while he frankly doesn't give a crap at this point*

...*sigh* that lasted a long time now didn't it?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Hmm. I was willing to give Disney a shot at making Star Wars an interesting franchise again, then they go and hand the keys of their newly acquired vintage car to the village idiots. Needless to say I won't be buying any Star Wars games ever again unless it is of the Lego flavour, although we have plenty of those already.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Thank god you snatched up Pandemic when you overpaid for Bioware, eh EA?

Oh. Right then.