Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Our very smart and stable free speech advocate has decided that "cis" and "cisgender" is a slur and has begun using code to automatically regulate it...the code for regulating nazi hate speech in Germany

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Our very smart and stable free speech advocate has decided that "cis" and "cisgender" is a slur and has begun using code to automatically regulate it...
Firstly, fascinating decision for a "free speech advocate". Secondly, fascinating sense of priority given all the shit that goes down on that platform.

If this is really even true, what do you reckon the chances are it gets reverted within 48h?

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Firstly, fascinating decision for a "free speech advocate". Secondly, fascinating sense of priority given all the shit that goes down on that platform.

If this is really even true, what do you reckon the chances are it gets reverted within 48h?
It seems to be true, as per Elon Musk himself, unless this is a fake.

1687361729882.png

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA

I mean, I can sort of see it if I squint hard enough. I've certainly seen "cishet" being pronounced as "cis-shit", and even defined by the speaker as "a shitty het", but that was probably a good dozen years ago when people weren't used to seeing the term and were treating it as slang rather than proper categorization. Even then, the prevalence of that bastardization was questionable at best.

Never mind that even a quick jaunt to wikipedia would show that trying to make an algorithm around the word "cis" would be stupid. You've got at least three cities by that name, a mathematical function, a beetle, a chemisty concept (from which the terminology is derived), a genetic concept, a musical note (C#), and a slew of acronyms. "Sorry, CIS National Football Team! You're not welcome on Twitter!"

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Never mind that even a quick jaunt to wikipedia would show that trying to make an algorithm around the word "cis" would be stupid. You've got at least three cities by that name, a mathematical function, a beetle, a chemisty concept (from which the terminology is derived), a genetic concept, a musical note (C#), and a slew of acronyms. "Sorry, CIS National Football Team! You're not welcome on Twitter!"
Not to mention the Separatist organisation in Star Wars (Confederacy of Independent Systems), and the Eurasian defence alliance (Commonwealth of Independent States).

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Was it? Cisalpine Gaul and Transalpine Gaul were terms used millennia ago.
Perhaps it would have been more accurate of me to say that they have a common etymology.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
"cis" is just latin for "here on this side (of X)" and "trans" is latin for "there on the other side (of X)". That is why both are in countless compound words, proper names, texts, etc.

Ok, trans is in more words ( transport, transfer, transission, Transsilvania, Transoxania, ...) because there is more demand to describe interaction with the other place instead of your own. But Cis is still pretty widespread.

Last edited:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Welp. Whenever I visit Twitter now, it requests that I log in in order to actually see any content.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Whatever the rules, I just love the fact that they change three times a day.

Reactions: BrawlMan