Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Wait... so now you need to log in to see tweets on twitter, except (as this thread shows) this doesn't stop you just seeing the tweets if they're embedded off-site.

...so he's literally created a situation where his own site's content is more easily available, with fewer restrictions, outside of his own platform.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Wait... so now you need to log in to see tweets on twitter, except (as this thread shows) this doesn't stop you just seeing the tweets if they're embedded off-site.

...so he's literally created a situation where his own site's content is more easily available, with fewer restrictions, outside of his own platform.
Correct. Add vx infront of whatever shared link you want to see, like https://vxtwitter.com/whatever and you're good to go

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Who were these "many" who expected that and why should we take them seriously?
When you see the word 'many', it actually means someone has an opinion and they are making up imaginary friends that agree with them to make it look like it's agreeable

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You have to give Elon Musk credit*; he's not being biased about whom Twitter stiffs.

* This is a figure of speech. Do not give Elon Musk actual credit; he will probably stiff you.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

On a related note, Facebook/Meta's new Twitter competitor 'Threads' will not launch in the EU alongside the US/UK, I'm guessing because of EU data protection compliance, since the new app is designed to piggyback off Instagram data. Good.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
On a related note, Facebook/Meta's new Twitter competitor 'Threads' will not launch in the EU alongside the US/UK, I'm guessing because of EU data protection compliance, since the new app is designed to piggyback off Instagram data. Good.
Yes, this is very interesting.

One of the side-effects of Musk grievously wounding his own property, currently dominant in its environmental niche, is that he has made that niche extraordinarily attractive to competition. As we may note, even the once-dominant can fall very quickly when an effective competitor arrives.

What's even more worrying for Musk is that if competitor services do make large inroads, Twitter has got to be pretty fucked. After all, it's already losing money whilst on a skeleton staff that struggles to keep current functionality running smoothly. I wouldn't like to be a business owner having to react to falling market share with already overstretched staff and even fewer resources coming in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, this is very interesting.

One of the side-effects of Musk grievously wounding his own property, currently dominant in its environmental niche, is that he has made that niche extraordinarily attractive to competition. As we may note, even the once-dominant can fall very quickly when an effective competitor arrives.

What's even more worrying for Musk is that if competitor services do make large inroads, Twitter has got to be pretty fucked. After all, it's already losing money whilst on a skeleton staff that struggles to keep current functionality running smoothly. I wouldn't like to be a business owner having to react to falling market share with already overstretched staff and even fewer resources coming in.
Whatever it takes for Twitter to fully die, and so be it. Musk and those selling the social media site in the first place brought it on themselves. I do feel bad for those working there, and wish they find some place better whenever they leave.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Whatever it takes for Twitter to fully die, and so be it.
Oh, the experts say that Twiter is going to turn evil and they need to stop it, but Musk doesn't listen because money and ego, and then it eats him and his rich friends at a big event?

I mean, there's any number of movies with that basic premise, so, presumably that's a thing that happens, right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, the experts say that Twiter is going to turn evil and they need to stop it, but Musk doesn't listen because money and ego, and then it eats him and his rich friends at a big event?
Twitter was already bad news from the start. I never liked it in the beginning, because stupid people do stupid things on what is a glorified chat room everyone (could once) can see. I know there's good and sensible people on there, but Twitter always has a problem with enabling assholes, or trying to remain "neutral". Don't get me started on the whole Trump supporters, Proud Boys, Klan, etc. We already know the results and they doing anything, along with YouTube, Facebook, and other social media sites, until after the fact, because of their fucking bottom line. Even though they all know they would not lose that much money to begin with.

but Musk doesn't listen because money and ego, and then it eats him and his rich friends at a big event?

I mean, there's any number of movies with that basic premise, so, presumably that's a thing that happens, right?
It would be funny if Twitter gained sentience and somehow disposed of Musk and his pawn sycophants. It would be a great view.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Smells like Musk's Free Speech to me

Punishing everyone for the system's problems always endears those systems to everyone.

An actual question - is it even possible to stop scraping from even happening? That seems impossible

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
70 million people have joined Zuck's threads. So the lesson in US capitalism is if you're angry with one billionaire, join another billionaire's platform.

That said if they ever fight I hope they both get brain damage.