Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Also relevant:

One billionaire capitalist can single-handedly end a country offensive action at his personal whim. I'm not sure this would even be a good thing were that billionaire a well-intentioned defender of peace and justice, which Musk emphatically is not. We likewise need to be concerned what such people can do with the "public forum" they control.

hamishduke

Nov 27, 2022
Country
United States
On a related note, Facebook/Meta's new Twitter competitor 'Threads' will not launch in the EU alongside the US/UK, I'm guessing because of EU data protection compliance, since the new app is designed to piggyback off Instagram data. Good.
why Elon Musk's change the name after purchasing twitter?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Few months old. (How did I miss this?) Thoroughly nails pretty much every major internet firm.

As this thread's about Twitter, I'm just going to point out this delicious put-down from that article:

"As I said at the start of this essay, enshittification exerts a nearly irresistible gravity on platform capitalism. It's just too easy to turn the enshittification dial up to eleven. Twitter was able to fire the majority of its skilled staff and still crank the dial all the way over, even with a skeleton crew of desperate, demoralized H1B workers who are shackled to Twitter's sinking ship by the threat of deportation."

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hey, speaking of, X is removing the ability to easily see stats on quote retweets after Elon got tired of being rationed to oblivion by claiming all the monkeys that died during the nurallink thing were already terminally ill

Reactions: CM156

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hey, speaking of, X is removing the ability to easily see stats on quote retweets after Elon got tired of being rationed to oblivion by claiming all the monkeys that died during the nurallink thing were already terminally ill
Well, duh. He didn't spend all that money to give people the ability to voice their opinions; he spent it for the ability to voice his!

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
What's he going to do next, threaten to pay my gas bill for me?
"Stamp out bots", Musk says, as if the real issue wasn't that Twitter has a massive revenue problem. Although I can't see any way that Musk could empty Twitter faster than by demanding money from its users.

Also, I can't help but point out that if it's the digital "public square", I'm not billed for walking through the plazas of my city.