Enemies that ruin games

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
Enemies in certain missions on Jak 2. I have just completed this on the vita and hands down it was one of the most frustrating and poorly designed games I have ever had the misfortune to play and some of the enemies made it worse. The ones that always get me is the crimson guard bad guys on the mission where you collect the amulet from the waterfront area. Give the enemies auto lock on? make them spawn indefinitely from all directions? make it so the ships they spawn on can kill you as well if you get too close? make it so you have to go down a narrow set of pathways and if you miss one of those infinitely spawning enemies they can knock you in the water making you start the whole mission again with LESS ammo? bloody checkeroo on all those.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Enemies with nova attacks in Borderlands 2. I guess they don't ruin the game because it's only on the super tough optional bosses that it's actually that bad.

They were introduced to fuck with people who were abusing the Bee shield since that plus pretty much anything was ridiculously overpowered. I'm not saying they were wrong to do it, but anything that you can't dodge seems like bullshit to me. I'd rather they have just reworked the mechanics of the Bee instead of giving everyone a headache. To this day, I still haven't beaten Voracidous :(

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Neonsilver said:
I give some enemies from Borderlands 2.

-first badass pyre threshers
They have a powerful nova attack that seems to be impossible to dodge (maybe I just haven't found the right method to dodge it).
The nova is extremely powerful, it doesn't onehit you but you are left with very little health.
Fun fact: you only survive those because Borderlands 2 has health gating, prevents one-shotting as long as you're above 50% of your max health.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
I will go with anything small. I can take down striders in HL2 without a problem, but headcrabs will kick my ass. Small enemies are always the bane of existence.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
IceForce said:
- Enemies that stun-lock you.
- Enemies that have the ability to insta-kill you.
- Enemies that fully heal themselves right when you've almost killed them.
A slight variation of this.

- Final Dungeon Random Enemies who are stronger/worse/more dangerous than the final boss.

This tends to be a JRPG staple, but I've seen it elsewhere as well, even when the final boss itself is a challenge.

The one that particularly leaps to mind is Grandia III. There's this one kind of enemy in the final dungeon who always get initiative on you, can instantly kill your entire party with a single move (which they always try first), and are very very difficult to avoid (they can charge you from literally across a massive chamber so you don't even see them before they've agro-ed on you).

I hate this because I like to take my time and explore/grind a little in a final dungeon so I can enjoy using all my awesome late-game abilities on difficult enemies. However, when they're this pointlessly unfair, there's no actual chance to USE my abilities on them.

Oh, and the Grandia III example is particularly annoying since there are three of these fuckers between the last save point and the final boss. And if you manage to kill two of them, then backtrack to save, they RESPAWN even though other enemies do not. This means that unless you want to fight three very difficult and resource intensive battles before the final boss fight - without saving - you have to run through the final chamber while zig-zagging around these enemies while they chase you and sprint to the final room.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Angelowl said:
Auron225 said:
The f*cking Legion in Fallout New Vegas.

I pissed them off very early on and for a long time (just after Ring-A-Ding-Ding) they despised me. I would get jumped in the Wasteland at least once every 20 minutes by no fewer than 4 of them. It'd take 4-5 grenades to kill them, assuming they clutter together. Otherwise 9-10 shotgun shells to the HEAD. EACH. It works out worse for me that they have no concept of cover - cus they charge right into my face and unload a submachine gun into it. Constantly. In unison!

I almost always see them coming and so I save it so that I can reload when (not 'if') I die. It usually takes about 6 attempts to survive the fight. No other enemy I've encountered is anywhere near this f*cking OP.

I'm scared to advance the story until I level up a shit load cus I know they'll hate me again if I go much further.
This, I started to play the game a few days ago and the same thing happened to me. Only reason I survived was because I got the NCR emergency frequency minutes earlier. It is easier now when I got Veronica, her power fist can actually kill things.
I once had an encounter with legion while being at level 2. I was gonig against a legion Centurion(lots of armor) using Thermic lance/Super Sledgehammer along 3 others.
I survived by sprinting away from them and pelted them with a silenced varmint rifle with a scope for a while until they all died.
then I found these mods and proceeded to never have that problem again.
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45303/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43030/?
these are mods I will never play new Vegas with out

Der_Ami

Mar 2, 2011
Helghast.
I tend to play a sneaky, stealthy sniper whenever possible, and this made me rage quit the first Killzone due to their blatant aimbots. I could be at the maximum range of my sniper, with them just barely visible through my scope, and they would headshot me with their automatic rifles. This was across every single attempt, so not just a case of a lucky shot. Thus I add to the list: enemies with hitscan weapons and aimbots.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Cerebrawl said:
Neonsilver said:
I give some enemies from Borderlands 2.

-first badass pyre threshers
They have a powerful nova attack that seems to be impossible to dodge (maybe I just haven't found the right method to dodge it).
The nova is extremely powerful, it doesn't onehit you but you are left with very little health.
Fun fact: you only survive those because Borderlands 2 has health gating, prevents one-shotting as long as you're above 50% of your max health.
I read about it somewhere before, but wasn't sure about it. It certainly makes sense, thanks for verifying it.
I can understand the idea behind health gating, but it shouldn't even be necessary. It also loses it's purpose if the enemy can quickly follow up with a second attack to kill you.
No enemy, not even a boss should be able to do that if you are properly equipped and have the proper level for the enemy. An obviously telegraphed and avoidable instant kill attack would be the lesser moodkiller.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
phoenixlink said:
To top all of the New Vegas.

Cazadores

Those nasty little stinging insects that would follow you to to ends of the earth and were more nimble than a acrobat.

the wetness running down my leg always started when i heard the buzzing of the wings
It's kind of sad how easy cazadores become with LR installed (snakebite tourniquets are OP against all poisons), or with OWB completed keeping the Heartless perk.

My addition to the thread, those goddamned demon babies from Drakengard. They take forever and a day for you to kill and there's always a shitton of them in the area and they tend to do half your health in one or two shots.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
phoenixlink said:

Cazadores

Those nasty little stinging insects that would follow you to to ends of the earth and were more nimble than a acrobat.

the wetness running down my leg always started when i heard the buzzing of the wings
this a thousand times over. eventually i got so frustrated i'd turn on god mode, kill them, and turn it off again. they're just too much of a hassle.

also, bomb rush enemies of any sort. i can put up with them in FPS like serious sam (although i still dislike them) but i hate them everywhere else. the only way to usually kill them is shooting them, and it relies on an autolock system which is usually a pain in the ass to get right, especially at fast speeds. fuck those guys

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Enemies who inconsistently ignore hit-stun.

If their attacks are always interrupted, great. If they are never interrupted, I can at least adapt.

If it's random, or there's some unseen "balance" meter, I have to guess whether or not to commit, and that kills some combo systems for me.

TKhanman

Mar 15, 2014
Auron225 said:
The f*cking Legion in Fallout New Vegas.

I pissed them off very early on and for a long time (just after Ring-A-Ding-Ding) they despised me. I would get jumped in the Wasteland at least once every 20 minutes by no fewer than 4 of them. It'd take 4-5 grenades to kill them, assuming they clutter together. Otherwise 9-10 shotgun shells to the HEAD. EACH. It works out worse for me that they have no concept of cover - cus they charge right into my face and unload a submachine gun into it. Constantly. In unison!

I almost always see them coming and so I save it so that I can reload when (not 'if') I die. It usually takes about 6 attempts to survive the fight. No other enemy I've encountered is anywhere near this f*cking OP.

I'm scared to advance the story until I level up a shit load cus I know they'll hate me again if I go much further.
Have you tried wearing a Legion uniform while you travel? Wearing faction armour puts you into a disguise and it seems like Legion assassins don't spawn while you travel with a disguise. Don't forget to take it off though because in disguise you will be recognized as an enemy by the opposing faction.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Meriatressia said:
Tunnelers ar'nt fun to fight and are bad enemies. They are interesting and fun, as a enemy. But they are far too hard and it get's boring. It's no fun fighting them, and that is wrong.
tunnelers are not that hard.
their biggest weakness is having no armor(0 DT and 0 DR); so all one needs is a good gun with hollow point bullets. I have no clue what the best way to deal with them for energy users due never playing courier who focused on using energy weapons. guns just seemed more practical but I will try playing a courier that uses energy weapon for my next playthough.

by the time your at recommended level to enter the divide you should have good gear. along with the flare gun and flash bangs being a way to stop them from attacking you. the only though part about fighting is though is they do lots of damage if they hit you.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Those goddamn boars in Gothic 3. Before all the patches, getting hit ONCE meant certain death - they throw you to the ground when they hit you, and they attack at a rate slightly faster than you could stand up, effectively stunlocking you into death.
ARGHGHGHGHG.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
IceForce said:
- Enemies that stun-lock you.
- Enemies that have the ability to insta-kill you.
- Enemies that fully heal themselves right when you've almost killed them.

Applicable to a lot of games.
so pretty much most MGS bosses. Vamp takes the prize for no.3 on your list especially when he shows up in MGS4

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
phoenixlink said:

Cazadores

For me it's the poison, they hit you once and you keep taking damage as you run for your life. They're the cliff racers of New Vegas. Also deathclaws, if you meet one early on you get murdered horribly while you shoot it with 9mm bullets.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
otakon17 said:
The twin archers of Anor Londo. Fuck them, fuck them, fuck them, fuck them, fuck them, FUCK THEM! I spent four hours grinding to make a build capable of using either the silence or stealth spell while I wore the complimenting ring(I had a Ring of Favor and Protection on the other hand). Biggest roadblock in the game if you ask me, especially since at least Sen's Fortress was a challenge because traps and all. But those assholes, those rat bastards.

In general though, snipers/archers are the bane of my existence in videogames.
I've heard soo many people complain about this part of the game, but I've actually never found them very difficult. I played the game pretty late in comparison to everyone else, and already knew about this part when I got to it, just from hearing about how terrible it was from everyone. First time I got through it in 2 tries. On subsequent playthroughs I don't think it's taken me more than 5 tries, and the one time it took 5 tries was on a build where I wasn't using a shield.

Seriously, it's pretty easy to exploit their AI. Just run up the flying buttress, ignore the archer on the left, run straight at the archer on the right with your shield up (the archer on the left will probably still hit you in the back once, but it won't make you fall off the ledge, just fall forward on your face), then once you get close enough that the archer on the right pulls his sword out the archer on the left with lose aggro and ignore you. From there either just parry the silver knight to death, or if you aren't confident in your parries just hold your shield up and push against the silver knight until he falls off the edge (could take anywhere from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes to do).

I mean, it's definitely not a well designed section, and it's a section I really REALLY dislike, just based on the fact that dark soul's movement controls aren't precise enough for sections were you're forced to walk on tiny ledges (same reason I hate the room with all the painted guardians where you have to walk along the ceiling struts), but it's not the fault of the enemies that the section is so terrible, but the fault of the level design. Personally I'd say that the worst enemies in Dark Souls have to be the toxic blow dart guys in blighttown, because they always make you toxic in one hit, regardless of your resistances, and they are absolutely impossible to see.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
Saltyk said:
You know those enemies in FFXIII that had 20 times too much health? That you basically had to Stagger multiple times to kill. And they were just random enemies. Those fuckers!

On that note, nothing sucks more than getting hit by a Malboro's Bad Breath when you had nothing to prevent the negative status effects. You really just have to reload as you're basically lost and won't be able to kill it at that point, especially in FF8. Honestly, I always hated negative status using enemies as negative status effects never seemed to work on enemies, but could be devastating to you.

Not really an enemy that ruins a game, but not having the ability to focus on an enemy to track and attack him in action oriented games is a pain that can really ruin the experience.

Enemies that can one shot kill are annoying. More so if they are really fast and evasive or hard to target or evade. Those annoying Snipers in Uncharted 3, for example (they one shot you on Normal difficulty, made me wonder if they needed to test that a little more). They killed me more than any other enemy, partly as they always seemed to accompany shotgun wielding enemies and then you had to prioritize which one you killed first, and I usually went for the shotgun guys as they were more imminent and potentially could knock me out of cover making me an easy target for a sniper (it happened more than once).
This! Particularly FF10's Chimera and Seymour's left and right hand guado's with the fucking confusion spells, and extra turns. I 'oooohed' with burning rage more than Elmer Fudd. Hell, I imagined myself as the Doomguy going in beserk mode, and beating them all into blood-chunky gibs with a pinky ring punch.