Epic Games Unveils Fortnite

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B
Woah woah woah, you're assuming a lot of things there from a 1 minute teaser trailer.

I'd hold onto your pants and wait for some more information to come out.
If a teaser makes me go "meh zombies" then everything else won't change the fact that it has zombies which are over done in gaming. Plus the fact it's castle defense which is also overused doesn't help'em either. Until proven otherwise Epic is just shining shit so they won't get called out for making another brown game.
Well, you just went out and said "it doesn't do anything new" when we really, really have no clue what the game is about. Trailers like these mean absolutely nothing about the title in progress, they just garner interest.

Remember Dead Islands first trailer? You know, the one that made it look like a sombre, edgy story with little girls falling out of windows? How was that for a misleading trailer!

Seems to be like you've just got an itch in your ass against Epic Games. Also, Castle Defense hasn't been done too much afaik. Minecraft's pseudo survival mode? Call of Duty's nazi zombies?

Hardly castle defense. If you've played some Warcraft 3 mods, you'd know what castle defense actually is. Hopefully Epic Games will get it right.

They've got good resources and a talented team, I'm excited to see what they do with this title. Dismissing it just because it has zombies in it is really unfair, and quite frankly, sort of funny.
It's unfair that its another meh zombie game on the market when they have like you said they have the resources and the talented team. So they can do WAY better the zombies and castle / tower defense. Overall it still gets dismissed because it's nothing really worth getting hyped about. Epic is a one trick pony and they barely did that right.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I don't think the cartoon-ish graphics really fit a zombie game very well. If the game is supposed to be sillier than what the trailer shows then it would make sense, but they are trying to go for a somewhat serious approach which I don't think will work very well.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Little late to say but cue all the whining about zombie games. Sure, nobody complains about the 90,000 generic war shooters copying off of CoD and Battlefield, or 20,000 Generic Fantasy Games, or 10,000 peggle rip offs, or the 1,000 Tower Defense rip offs this year. All anybody ever complains about is the un-dead. Sure I'm exaggerating numbers here but thats the whole market at the minute. Seriously, whenever this comes up I always say the same thing, there are not all the games that are strictly DEDICATED to zombies, but have zombie MODES in them.

A big example is Call of Duties Zombie mode, its not a game in and of itself, its a mini game. Or the Saints Row Zombie game, its a mini game, not a game. The only big Zombie release I remember from this year is Dead Island, which sucked major balls to the PC audience.

If we want to get down to it, there are plenty of games that have zombies or variants, such as the Dragur from Skyrim, those are technically zombies.

Main point, there aren't as many Zombie Dedicated Games out there as there are Zombies IN a game.

Heres a list of games that have zombies / Zombie dedicated games, its missing some, but its worth a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_video_games

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
BoredDragon said:
I don't think the cartoon-ish graphics really fit a zombie game very well. If the game is supposed to be sillier than what the trailer shows then it would make sense, but they are trying to go for a somewhat serious approach which I don't think will work very well.
I welcome the idea of a more light-hearted zombie romp. I'm kinda sick of the over the top gore and grittiness. There's enough of that ilk already.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Me and a friend of mine came up with this idea two years ago but didnt imagine so cartoony. At the time i thought it would be the best game ever, and in the hands of EPIC :D it could be!

The Urban Moose

Nov 9, 2010
I really have no idea why people are comparing it to Minecraft. I guess I can see similarities, but Minecraft doesn't have a copyright on the gameplay mechanic "build stuff".

Also, I'm guessing that the point of this game is survival. There is certainly survival in Minecraft, but it's more about being creative, not staying alive.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Sure Fortnite's premiss looks silly but there's nothing that's 2 week to turn me off.
And those guys are really careless with their recording equipment.
This is me. Looking at you. And seeing the act which was perpetrated by your hand.

OT: Hopefully they will focus more on the survival aspect. The scrounging and getting by aspect is often neglected in zombie games. I'm looking at you, L4d with your infinite ammo piles and military grade weaponry

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Holy shit, this is the EXACT game I have been waiting for!!! For years now I have wanted a game like this, where you spend your days reinforcing your base and scavenging to take on the hordes at night (flash games don't count) color me excited

Edit: How is this in any way like minecraft, here's a quick tip to surviving the nighttime hordes of minecraft, build a small wall with a top that juts outward to stop spiders, done

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B
Woah woah woah, you're assuming a lot of things there from a 1 minute teaser trailer.

If a teaser makes me go "meh zombies" then everything else won't change the fact that it has zombies which are over done in gaming. Plus the fact it's castle defense which is also overused doesn't help'em either. Until proven otherwise Epic is just shining shit so they won't get called out for making another brown game.
Well, you just went out and said "it doesn't do anything new" when we really, really have no clue what the game is about. Trailers like these mean absolutely nothing about the title in progress, they just garner interest.

Remember Dead Islands first trailer? You know, the one that made it look like a sombre, edgy story with little girls falling out of windows? How was that for a misleading trailer!

Seems to be like you've just got an itch in your ass against Epic Games. Also, Castle Defense hasn't been done too much afaik. Minecraft's pseudo survival mode? Call of Duty's nazi zombies?

Hardly castle defense. If you've played some Warcraft 3 mods, you'd know what castle defense actually is. Hopefully Epic Games will get it right.

They've got good resources and a talented team, I'm excited to see what they do with this title. Dismissing it just because it has zombies in it is really unfair, and quite frankly, sort of funny.
It's unfair that its another meh zombie game on the market when they have like you said they have the resources and the talented team. So they can do WAY better the zombies and castle / tower defense. Overall it still gets dismissed because it's nothing really worth getting hyped about. Epic is a one trick pony and they barely did that right.
I don't really know what to say, you're just repeating yourself and I don't really get your argument that "it's unfair because it's another zombie game". Like I said, we know nothing about the game yet and you're just dismissing it because you don't like Epic Games apparently.

Well alright, have it your way. Just know that you'll be missing a lot of games with that attitude. :)
It's not like I have all the money and time in the world to play every game so why should I care about every game before it comes out. If it seems like shit to me before it comes out that's another game I don't have to deal with. I have to pick and choose. So I skip everything I don't like and only play games that I really want to play.

Also people do choose not to play games because of a studio / publisher. I refuse to play anything from EA and Activision now. Epic games was a joke since Gears 2 I'm sorry.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Hopefully it will be the fun part of MineCraft and Terreria of defending your home, without all the horrible tedium of digging through every square or cubic inch of the world for rare resources.

What I'm always hoping for is a whole game built around COD's Nazi Zombies, the only thing I don't like about Nazi Zombies is that the game play is separated into rounds and the zombies both increase in number and strength as time goes on, but that game is designed to kill you.

For a full game I like the limited ammo and guns but would like the zombies to very in strength but only increase in number as time goes on, perhaps in relation to how loud the construction is.

Mar 26, 2008
Have the people who have been slagging off Gears of War games for being grey/brown actually played Gears 3 all the way through? I think they actually went out of their way to boost the colour factor in that one.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
So, basically Epic is making Minecraft with better graphics? Is that it? Cuz personally I don't mind minecraft's graphics.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:

I don't really know what to say, you're just repeating yourself and I don't really get your argument that "it's unfair because it's another zombie game". Like I said, we know nothing about the game yet and you're just dismissing it because you don't like Epic Games apparently.

Well alright, have it your way. Just know that you'll be missing a lot of games with that attitude. :)
It's not like I have all the money and time in the world to play every game so why should I care about every game before it comes out. If it seems like shit to me before it comes out that's another game I don't have to deal with. I have to pick and choose. So I skip everything I don't like and only play games that I really want to play.

Also people do choose not to play games because of a studio / publisher. I refuse to play anything from EA and Activision now. Epic games was a joke since Gears 2 I'm sorry.
All I'm saying is that you're dismissing the game based off of a teaser trailer, which is really foolish.
I done that with DmC and look how poor the management is turning out on that game. They have no idea if they want it to be apart of the real time line or not. With more recent looks it still doesn't impress. Overall if a TEASER trailer fails to get you hype it's not worth it.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Have the people who have been slagging off Gears of War games for being grey/brown actually played Gears 3 all the way through? I think they actually went out of their way to boost the colour factor in that one.
This.

I really dislike it when people refuse a game some credit or even some damn playtime just because they don't have the most varied color palette. Any one of those people ever consider that there was a reason for dull, dreary aesthetic?

Now...back on track. The trailer looks interesting, I'd love to see more in terms of gameplay, and knowing Epic, this should turn out pretty good.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
The Fortnite teaser has a definite Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323704351&sr=8-1] vibe and indicates that the game will involve fortress building by day and fortress defense by night. So there you go - what do you think?
I expect that I'm going to love this if it's what I think it is. Minecraft meets TF2 meets GOW's horde mode? Sign me up.

Mortis Nuncius said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
This.

I really dislike it when people refuse a game some credit or even some damn playtime just because they don't have the most varied color palette. Any one of those people ever consider that there was a reason for dull, dreary aesthetic?

Now...back on track. The trailer looks interesting, I'd love to see more in terms of gameplay, and knowing Epic, this should turn out pretty good.
I really dislike when people refuse to play something with the expectation that they know it for sure by it's reputation. Especially when it's a skewed one drawn up by detractors at that.