Epic Games Unveils Fortnite

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Epic Games Unveils Fortnite

Epic's new Big Idea is a fortress-building, zombie-shooting action-strategy game called Fortnite.

Epic rolled out Fortnite at the Spike Video Game Awards this past weekend with a trailer and not much else. Cliff Bleszinski, Epic's design director, said during the show that Epic wanted to "switching things up a little bit and do something different and fun" with Fortnite, describing it as "a world where you explore, you scavenge, you build and ultimate you survive."

He was a little more forthcoming in an interview [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhqu-kPySpY] after the show, although he maintained that the studio isn't prepared to get into detail right now. "Traditionally, we make shooters and shooting is in there, but it's really not what the game is all about," he said. "It's really a game that is more about survival than anything else." The game was pitched internally several months ago and came together "lightning fast," he added, so at this point Epic is still "figuring out what to do with the lightning we have in a bottle."

The Fortnite teaser has a definite Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323704351&sr=8-1] vibe and indicates that the game will involve fortress building by day and fortress defense by night. So there you go - what do you think? Platforms, release date and other such information isn't even close to being announced, so don't bother asking.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/12/10/epic-games-new-franchise-fortnite-blends-survival-horror-with-tower-defense-strategy/]


Permalink
 

Soviet Heavy

New member
Jan 22, 2010
12,218
0
0
Well, I'd say it looks nice, and it reminds me of Orcs Must Die: adopting a concept like tower defense, or in this case, those "defend the castle" flash games and giving it a new coat of paint.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Saw this on IGN a few days ago. It's strange to see Epic jump from Gears of War grey to something this colorful, though I'm certainly not complaining at all. They've got the money, the team, and the talent to pull this off right.

The Fortnite teaser has a definite Team Fortress 2 vibe and indicates that the game will involve fortress building by day and fortress defense by night. So there you go - what do you think? Platforms, release date and other such information isn't even close to being announced, so don't bother asking.
- I think it sounds like Minecraft, Team Fortress 2, and Call of Duty Zombies thrown into one package, meaning it is presumedly programmed with the word "WIN" in binary, repeated over and over again. The only other mash-up of games and genres coming soon that I can name that sounds better is Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, which looks like what you would get if you threw God of War, Fable, Bioware, and The Elder Scrolls in a bowl.

- Platforms? It's pretty much guaranteed that 360 is one. PS3's probably in the running. Cliffy B. stated a while back that Gears of War 2 and 3 weren't coming to PC, that might still count here. I'd bet against it coming to the Wii, which is unfortunate because this seems like something that would be a nice fit on the Wii.

- Release date? Either around this time next year or early 2013.
 

Kevlar Eater

New member
Sep 27, 2009
1,933
0
0
When I saw the name Cliff Bleszinski, all of my interest in the game instantly disappeared. Gods, I hate that douchenozzle.
 

emenar

New member
Oct 23, 2009
27
0
0
cos it looks like TF2 and dungeon defenders and stuff like that, im thinking its gonna be a steam game, or perhaps one of the Xbox live downloadables ones.

Makes me think of a more animated version of that Starcraft 2 campaign mission. Build ur fort at day, slay zombies at night... wonder if u can send ur little fire spitting cars around the map at midnight in this too ^^
 

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
5,458
0
0
That's a win! That's an "Epic moves on to colorful tower defense game" win!

Roll the next clip Steven!

The only way I could see this failing is if everyone just got sick of zombie games in general... Considering the amount of zombies in games this year it might actually be a possibility.
 

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
2,285
0
0
I think using the Team Fortress font for the logo at the end was perhaps a little too on the nose, but the game idea sounds intriguing at least...
 

TheDooD

New member
Dec 23, 2010
812
0
0
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B
 

synobal

New member
Jun 8, 2011
2,189
0
0
Kevlar Eater said:
When I saw the name Cliff Bleszinski, all of my interest in the game instantly disappeared. Gods, I hate that douchenozzle.
This, just this.
 

CardinalPiggles

New member
Jun 24, 2010
3,226
0
0
Concept? Good.

I'll be waiting for game play information before I get too excited though. It's going to be a while.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
This was the best thing (besides Felicia Day talking dirty) I saw at the VGA's.

I hope for more info, and gameplay footage soon.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
TheDooD said:
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B
Woah woah woah, you're assuming a lot of things there from a 1 minute teaser trailer.

I'd hold onto your pants and wait for some more information to come out.
 

TheDooD

New member
Dec 23, 2010
812
0
0
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B
Woah woah woah, you're assuming a lot of things there from a 1 minute teaser trailer.

I'd hold onto your pants and wait for some more information to come out.
If a teaser makes me go "meh zombies" then everything else won't change the fact that it has zombies which are over done in gaming. Plus the fact it's castle defense which is also overused doesn't help'em either. Until proven otherwise Epic is just shining shit so they won't get called out for making another brown game.
 

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
4,252
0
0
You sure this is Epic games? Theres not a single muscle bound fuck head in that trailer, unless they're saving that for DLC
 

sheah1

New member
Jul 4, 2010
557
0
0
This looks.... really awesome actually. I love the "scavenge/build/defend" vibe. Honestly I'm surprised this hasn't been done before, like taking the best bits of Resident Evil 4, my only worry is that it won't come to PS3 (please Cliffy? I'll be your friend?).
Wonder how big a part multiplayer will be....
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Sure Fortnite's premiss looks silly but there's nothing that's 2 week to turn me off.
And those guys are really careless with their recording equipment.
 

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
9,145
0
0
Well... it's Epic. They make good games. Hopefully, since this looks like a very simple game, they'll be able to spend a lot of time maximising the goodness they put into it.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
TheDooD said:
SteelStallion said:
TheDooD said:
Another Zombie game that really doesn't do anything new. Well at lease it ain't brown yet I think Epic is making colorful to denounce those that say they can only make brown games. I'll give it a pass because of Cliffy B
Woah woah woah, you're assuming a lot of things there from a 1 minute teaser trailer.

I'd hold onto your pants and wait for some more information to come out.
If a teaser makes me go "meh zombies" then everything else won't change the fact that it has zombies which are over done in gaming. Plus the fact it's castle defense which is also overused doesn't help'em either. Until proven otherwise Epic is just shining shit so they won't get called out for making another brown game.
Well, you just went out and said "it doesn't do anything new" when we really, really have no clue what the game is about. Trailers like these mean absolutely nothing about the title in progress, they just garner interest.

Remember Dead Islands first trailer? You know, the one that made it look like a sombre, edgy story with little girls falling out of windows? How was that for a misleading trailer!

Seems to be like you've just got an itch in your ass against Epic Games. Also, Castle Defense hasn't been done too much afaik. Minecraft's pseudo survival mode? Call of Duty's nazi zombies?

Hardly castle defense. If you've played some Warcraft 3 mods, you'd know what castle defense actually is. Hopefully Epic Games will get it right.

They've got good resources and a talented team, I'm excited to see what they do with this title. Dismissing it just because it has zombies in it is really unfair, and quite frankly, sort of funny.
 

Sarpedon

New member
Feb 9, 2011
429
0
0
I for one hope this is a little minecrafty in design. The concept sounds interesting, but it depends on what it means by "build a fortress." Does it mean construct the fortress from scratch the way you want it built? Or, does it mean that you are given a prebuilt fortress that you can modify with certain defenses?