Escape to the Movies: A Christmas Carol

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Well I heard Christmas carol thought oh that's a good story been done more than the plot of Romeo and Juliet has been used but still good. However once I found out there were no Muppets involved I could not see it for that was the best version ever made. Sure it's not serious but to hate the Muppets is to hate life itself.

But now I wonder does bob love the Muppet version I actually expected more mention of it doing the kids version of the movie spot on.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
I think a lot of this could have been avoided by simply deciding on what type of people You'd want to see the movie. As it is, it feels torn between sucking up to both my old litterature teachers and the instant gratification consumers.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
As I've said for the past decade or so, it's the most horrible time of the year.

Time for more overdone holiday movie cliches.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
The effects look really cool and might have worked if it was a different story. Personally, I didn't even like the story the first time I read about it in a book, so I'm certainly not going to see this one.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Ironically, the Muppet version was more faithful than most adaptations I can think of, and it was still pretty damn good. In fact, I think it's my favorite version.

doomngloom

Aug 8, 2009
Gruchul said:
Not really surprised by this, there have only been two great Christmas films ever made (The Nightmare Before Christmas and Gremlins), everything else fitting in between passable and dire.
I'll raise you a National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
You forgot to add that the Muppets also did it. xD

But seriously.
I was not interested in this to begin with, in fact when I saw that Bob was reviewing this, I thought to myself "Wait? A Christmas Carol?... Seriously?"

Now that I've had some form of a confirmation that it's just more of the same with pointless gimmicks tacked on (Although I don't take everything MovieBob says into account, because... Personal opinion still counts for something) I think I'm even less bothered about it, so a movie I didn't even know about or have any real prior interest in has now managed to skulk further away from my "potential entertainment" radar.

Well done, Disney.

xxDarlenexx

Dec 24, 2008
I've seen and performed in numerous Christmas Carols and my favorite has to be Mickey's Christmas Carol starring Uncle Scrooge Mcduck, even though they got the purpose of the ending wrong, IMO. In the Disney version Scrooge gets "scared straight" by evil Christmas Future saying he's going to go to hell. I think what Dickens was going for is that the idea of dying ALONE and unloved is what drove him over the edge to change his ways, in addition to the things the other spirits made him realize about how he used to be and how his actions affect other people.

But still my favorite! How do you not tear up when you see Mickey walking away from Tiny Tim's grave?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I saw the movie for my girlfriends request and i liked it a lot. Graphics and desing are awesome also the face caption and the acting are very good i didnt know you could get that realistic with animation. I havent seen the previous movies that might be why i liked this one but i think being animated like this gave the movie a chance to show the effects that the story wanted to show us. I agree with the part that it really isnt a kiddies movie specially because sometimes it actually get kainda scary and freaky. If watch it and think the overused the 3D efects i agree with you but they really look good. I liked this movie a lot.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
But... I liked Tom Bombadil! Exactly why wasn't he included in those movies?

But anyway. I think I'll enjoy watching this movie in any case. I like the way acting and animation is merged together. JIm Carrey is also one of my favorite comedians since childhood. Two great things in one, I'd say!

But we'll of course see.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Has there ever been a 3-D movie that hasn't resorted to this sort of cheap virtual roller coaster tactic to justify the glasses?

scarykitties

Nov 13, 2009
Wow, I'm glad that so many of us who've never gone to see the movie agree that it sucks based entirely on the opinion of one individual whose job it is to entertain with sharp criticism on a comedy show! Phew, for a second, there, I was afraid I'd have to go see this movie and form my own opinion, but thankfully we all can now go on about our daily lives of being told what to think instead of being forced to form our own opinions based on our own perceptions!

So, what part of the movie that you guys didn't see do you think sucks the most? I think I have to say it's got to be the 80+ minutes of film footage that aren't included in any of the trailers. I can just magically divine from the way that Scrooge runs in action-packed scenes in the trailer that the rest must logically be terrible. Man, especially those parts with Tiny Tim dying that I didn't see, and the emotional moments where Scrooge is forced to relive the loss of his love that I didn't see, and those parts where Scrooge is forced to see how others will react to his death that I didn't see. Man, those SUCKED, am I right, fellow people who didn't see this movie?

I especially hated that part with how Scrooge's comments about how the poor and homeless children should be sent to the jails and workhouses bite back when it is artfully and powerfully shown how poverty results in people ending up in jails and workhouses because they are forced to be delinquents in order to survive. I'm SO glad I didn't have to see that exceptionally well-delivered message!

Oh, you know what else I hated about this movie I didn't see? I hated all the beautiful fly-throughs of exquisitely-rendered Victorian London that allow you to appreciate the architecture and the stark contrast between the rich and the poor through artistic contrasts in architecture and lavishly detailed lifestyles. Ha-ha, it's sure a good thing I didn't have to go to the movie to see if it was going to suck or not, thus saving myself a paltry ten dollars that I could instead spend on a couple bags of Doritos to assist in the expansion of my waistline!

Hey, another thing that really blows about this movie I know nothing about is the way they talk all funny. I mean, it's like they're talking right out of the book, or something! Seriously, who talks that way? It should be all, "yo, yo, yo, Scrooge! Why you hatin' on Christmas, dog?" and then they can be all like, "I be hatin' 'cause I be an old geezer, son! You gots to show me da true meanin' of Christmas!" "You gonna totally be haunted, dawg!" "Awwww, daaamn!" That's totally how it should be! Man, wouldn't that rock?

And, I totally know what you guys mean about an American being unable to have an artistic interpretation of a British novel. I mean, it's like, white people totally can't dance, right? And black people totally can't do white things, right? And Chinese people totally can't do American things, right? It's so totally like that! The fact that one's education has a far greater impact on how one develops their opinions, and, thus, their interpretations as compared to geographical location of birth doesn't matter at all! Besides, it's not like a modern British person doesn't have far more understanding of a British novel written a hundred and fifty years ago than an American whose life is equally as far-removed from the novel's setting! I mean, it's like Victorian stuff is in the blood, you know what I mean? Those British people, since their great-great grandparents maybe lived in the Victorian era, totally somehow pass on a deeper understanding of Victorian novels to their children through their genes, right? That's been scientifically proven... right? I mean, it's not like the Western World is practically unified in its European-American culture or anything, right?

You know what movie I DO want to see? I totally want to see that Avatar movie. Oh, as a stupid American who can't form his own opinion, I do so love to be reminded of how the evil White Man took over the perfect Native Americans, taking their land and forcing them to live on reservations, while we eeeevil White Folk only know how to completely suck the life out of a planet and don't have the faintest sense of economic appreciation, unlike those Native Americans who are totally perfect. It's not like they're human, and thus prone to the same failings, or anything. It's not like American conquest was inevitable, right? It's not like the Native Americans were forced to be so careful with their environment based solely on how their lifestyles wouldn't have allowed them to survive had they become more wasteful. It's totally because, as a race, they are superior to White people. Especially Americans, even though the British, Spanish, and French also had a large hand in driving them back with their colonies. Yeah, I can't wait to have those points again shoved down my throat in yet another guilt-trip good-native evil-conqueror piece. That's totally never been done before, right?

Now, excuse me while I go snort Yahtzee's semen up my nose to replace my lack of brains that I could form my own opinion with.

olo rock on soul brothas!

P.S. Oh! And I was thinking of starting up a club for all the people who agree that the motion capture medium sucks. That way, we can all sit around and agree with one another not to continue to follow its ongoing improvements and refinements while laughing at everyone else who's having a good time at the movies! Won't that be totally fun?

MrFluffy-X

Jun 24, 2009
didnt think the movie was that bad, i enjoyed it. Pretty darn creepy...tbh i wasnt expecting much, still dont see why you cant enjoy it, it was fun to watch.

TETSUOrocks

Oct 20, 2009
I didn't mind it too much myself. I agree that some of the action sequences didn't serve the plot and where probably only thrown in for the sake of making use of the 3D. I didn't have any problem making out the story apart from one scene at the end of the Christmas present portion of the story. Overall it did stay faithful to the story. The CG character acting was pretty good. Jim Carrey was decent.