Escape to the Movies: Captain America

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
restoshammyman said:
i wonder what he thinks of "batman: under the red hood".
I can bet that Movie Bob will most definitely praise that movie. Not since The Dark Knight, have I actually favored the Villains role in a Batman movie.

KillerMort

May 1, 2011
SPOILER ALERT FOR ANY ONE NOT WANTING TO READ THIS IN CASE OF STORY INFRINGEMENT!!
to be brutally honest i liked the movie for what it was, an action flick about a guy with a shield kicking butt, and that's about it for the last 3/4 of the movie, the first 1/4 however is all about weak steve and that's where the movie shines.

Things it could have worked on:
1) let captain America to have been involved in real world war problems, then built up to the comic world's issues and enemies.

2)better interaction with the important characters: this part is especially lacking, his interaction with the female love interest, for example, resides in her asking him to do tests and go on a mission, than kiss, that's IT.

3)less of non-canon/non-important characters: as you can tell from the poster outside of the theater Captain America builds a team of no-bodies that don't matter, yet they seem to give them more screen time than the love interest or the villain.
you don't even learn his team members names.

4)made hydra more opposing: hydra usually is a name to reckon with when a major villian is heading them so why were they so bad in the movie? they even had technology so advanced tony stark's grandfather was impressed.

Sep 17, 2009
Zeitgeist1983 said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Zeitgeist1983 said:
Sounds interesting... But will anyone care outside America?
Most major superheroes are Americans, in America, saving Americans.

Yes they save the planet here and there, but it is mostly America.

Captain America is not a patriotic demon (he actually fought against the American government in Civil War), he is a super solider forced into the role of an icon.

He is very relatable, and other countries would have no problem enjoying such a character.
Guess you are right and I understand that the character isn´t that stupid black and white patriotic. But I think the costume itself will alienate potential foreign viewers who are not that familiar with comic books.
I understand your point. As an American I originally hated the idea of Captain America, I was like "what is his power? Being wrapped in the American flag?", but after learning about his backstory, I grew to understand he is a rich character with an interesting backstory.

SimGrave

Jan 7, 2010
So... Incredible Hulk was good! And... Iron Man was good too. And so did Iron Man 2. Thor was good. Now it seems that Captain America nailed it too. I'm not a huge fan of comic book movies, but I sure enjoy the way that they are putting things together for the Avengers. Spider-Man and X-Men series were alright, but I feel like these 5-6 movies should now be referred as the Avengers series, one that is greater than any other from the Marvel universe.

I specify "Marvel", because in my book, Nolan's Dark Knight series is far more superior in terms of movies. The way I see it, they are NOT comic book movies, they are crime movies using comic book characters. And personally, I'm more into crime movie than comic book one. However, while I give credit to Nolan making that epic series, it is important to mention that he was dealing with far more superior source material to begin... Frank Miller (Year One) and Jeph Loeb (Long Halloween) created the crime / mob stories for Batman a while back.

Well I think everybody wins with the way things are right now. Batman, Avengers, Spider-Man and X-Men are probably the greatest assets in comic books and Hollywood pretty much go them the way it had to be (yeah... let's not talk Spidey 3 and Last Stand).

But anyway so far so good. The ratio has shift to have more good comic book movies than bad ones, so now we can forget about Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Superman Returns, Spawn, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four (x2), Punisher (x2), Green Lantern... oups, talking about it probably makes it harder to forget them, my bad!

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I personally liked Spider-man's trailer. Looks leaps and bounds better than the Raimi trilogy.

May 5, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Why does Bob gushing about a movie make me nervous?
Because he also gushed about "Daybreakers" and "Splice"?

That said, I'm seeing this solely because Hugo Weaving is the villain. That's all I need. But...Do I have to see Thor in order to get this?

Kakita

May 5, 2011
I have to ask why some are concerned about you being expected to have seen a previous movie.

They are effectively a series. We've know this since Iron Man 1, we've known this with the stinger of each film and the carry over characters. We've know this if we've read any news on the movies at all.

This isn't a case of reading a comic and having a tie-in story in another comic you weren't told about.

This is akin to going to see Deathly Hallows 2 and being confused that you needed to see Half Blood Prince or any of the other films to make full sense of it.

CharlesBronson

Jun 12, 2010
wooty said:
Hmmm, interest in this flick...rising. Plus, was that Tommy-Lee Jones? Never knew he was in this, only adds points to overall interest.
It most certainly was Tommy-Lee Jones, and he was incredible in it. There were a lot of great performances but I think his was far and away the most stellar of them all.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Googled just for lols, but turns out "Captain Russia" is a thing. Weird.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
So I have to see Thor first, for Captain America much of a plot make sense to me ?

Kakita

May 5, 2011
No. Captain America just doesn't take time out to exlpain WHY norse gods are believed real and why their tech is there. The movie as a whole will make sense still.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Almost a perfect movie huh? Excellent! I cannot wait to see this, I have loved every movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe this far. If I do end up loving Captain America then Marvel would have made three excellent movies this year. What about you DC, can you make a good movie that doesn't involve Batman? I think not.

Great review Bob.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Kakita said:
I have to ask why some are concerned about you being expected to have seen a previous movie.

They are effectively a series. We've know this since Iron Man 1, we've known this with the stinger of each film and the carry over characters. We've know this if we've read any news on the movies at all.

This isn't a case of reading a comic and having a tie-in story in another comic you weren't told about.

This is akin to going to see Deathly Hallows 2 and being confused that you needed to see Half Blood Prince or any of the other films to make full sense of it.
Because, unfortunately, not every person who sees Captain America will see Thor or Iron Man. Why? Because some people just don't care about Marvel overly-gushy pet project.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Dana22 said:
So I have to see Thor first, for Captain America much of a plot make sense to me ?
No some minor hints towards Thor but nothing more. You can still follow the movie fine.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I've never been able to take CA seriously. It's good to see him in a setting that actually suits him-beating up nazis with jetpacks.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, you're saying it's good?

Actually, I'm very glad to hear that, because my mom, of all people, wants to go see this and asked me to go with her.