Escape to the Movies: Chronicle

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Damn, I was expecting to be shit, instantly dismissed it for the style. I mean sometimes its ok but not all the time and not for an action/superhero movie(which I didnt get from the trailers). The irony is when I watch it I'll be watching someones recording XP!

Saw many covers and art from Youngblood and Image comics. Bob thought you where a big Rob Liefeld & Co hater? Do I have you confused with someone else? If that is indeed the case...You just went up 10 points on the Cool-o-meter (well mine at least :D )

Huh had you figured for Giants, ya know scrappy underdog story and all that. Sorry they didnt win *shrug* Im a Cowboy fan so Im used to dissapointment.

Wait...Akira? DBZ? That I didnt expect. Actually would like to know what you thought of Akira, seeing as apart from the work of Hayao Miyazaki, I hold it up as one of the finest anime movies of all time.

Lasty : "So in the end was I rooting for the quote unquote "Villian"? (first pic of Spock to say, "its logical", Then the imfamous Magneto pic) Do you really have to ask?" ROFLMAO I remember that episode "Magneto was right", posted a few time sin the comments. Totally behind ya on that one to, long story short if I was a Marvel mutant I'd say "F- humanity they treat me like sh-. Lets go to this Magnus guy who wants to better our kind."

Thats not to say that if when I was in High-School and I got super-powers I'd go looking for revenge. Im a small guy, had to scrap mostly through school, anti-social, liked comic books , cartoons and card games (magic, yu-gi-oh). You can bet I was pushed around. However I always had the examples from comics or shows (King Arthur and the Kights of Justice... Go now! Find it, watch it, and pay attention to the opening credits)So I always wanted to play the hero. Maybe its just me, maybe I just have an old-fashioned attitude.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
If I was younger when I was bullied and got super powers I would of abuse them. Would of made the world burn..

TokenRupee

Oct 2, 2010
Thunderhorse31 said:
Not-so-subtly calling Kojima "God"
Potentially spoiling a character death
Rooting for the Pats

Yep, I officially hate this video. But I'll still see Chronicle.
I'm pretty sure that was Miyamoto, not Kojima.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
I felt the found footage was pretty great idea for this movie, since most of it is from Andrew's camera which allows the audience to experience everything through his perspective. Also, i think it was good that they did not limit it to just his perspective/camera, and it jumped at times to other cameras/perspective of other characters.

During the film, I definitely perceived Andrew as resonating a Magneto type quality in his character. Growing up hurt, distraught, and abused, i found it quite obvious that he would eventually misuse his powers. Unable to control his suppressed emotions, Andrew now has a way to release and retaliate which inevitably leads him to rampage.

There was only one real qualm i had with the film. Why did they have to go cliche and kill off the black guy? I mean come on, I was expecting better than that from this film, so i totally didn't see Steve actually being killed off. Now in retrospect, the filmmaker probably wasn't concerned with the race of the character who dies and i'm probably just erroneously fixating on a movie stereotype. The sole main black character's death didn't jolt me into a state of boycotting the moving or anything crazy like that, it really just made me say aloud "what? really? the black guy dies? oh come on!" and then i went on enjoying the movie. During the beginning of the funeral scene i thought it might have been a tease and some other character may have died instead, and Steve would have just been injured by Andrew's raging. At a point near the end i thought maybe Steve would return, maybe due to the powers having some regenerative capabilities or something.

When i first saw the trailer, it was fairly easy to suspect Andrew would turn dangerous. Hence why i expected the two other characters to team up and fight against the stronger darker power in the end. I certainly wasn't disappointed that the film didn't end they way i guessed. Overall i enjoyed the ending, the entire movie really was pretty awesome to be clear. Much like after watching Drive and immediately wanting to strap my watch to my steering wheel, blare some chill ambient music and just drive; Chronicle sparked a desire to take up spelunking in search of some buried cosmic power.

I actually hope there is a sequel to this, as long as they do it at least as well as this one, with or without (probably better w/o) found footage style. I could totally see it as an origin story for a new comic superhero.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Domehammer said:
If I was younger when I was bullied and got super powers I would of abuse them. Would of made the world burn..
Primus1985 said:
Lasty : "So in the end was I rooting for the quote unquote "Villian"? (first pic of Spock to say, "its logical", Then the imfamous Magneto pic) Do you really have to ask?" ROFLMAO I remember that episode "Magneto was right", posted a few time sin the comments. Totally behind ya on that one to, long story short if I was a Marvel mutant I'd say "F- humanity they treat me like sh-. Lets go to this Magnus guy who wants to better our kind."

but why? I dont understand it

I havnt done anything to eather of you

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
Bob. You're 30. You were bullied when you were a kid.

Get over it. The rest of us "victims" already have. It's time you join us.
This. I was bullied all the way to my first year of high school, you know what i did? I said fuck it, I stopped caring, and you know what? it stopped, hell, i went onto being on Homecomming court, do i know why? Nope, but i got over it.

May 17, 2010
Reply to Ghandente, contains spoilers

Ghadente said:
I felt the found footage was pretty great idea for this movie, since most of it is from Andrew's camera which allows the audience to experience everything through his perspective. Also, i think it was good that they did not limit it to just his perspective/camera, and it jumped at times to other cameras/perspective of other characters.

During the film, I definitely perceived Andrew as resonating a Magneto type quality in his character. Growing up hurt, distraught, and abused, i found it quite obvious that he would eventually misuse his powers. Unable to control his suppressed emotions, Andrew now has a way to release and retaliate which inevitably leads him to rampage.
I disagree. For me Magento is always quite sympathetic. Andrew was pitiable but he never made a convinving argument, it was jsut some garbage about being an Apex Predator. I think with Magento there is also the question of "Is he right"? Which there wasn't with Andrew. also for me Magneto is often not a bad guy, he often seems to genuienly beleive that what he has to do si regretable but neccesary.

There was only one real qualm i had with the film. Why did they have to go cliche and kill off the black guy? I mean come on, I was expecting better than that from this film, so i totally didn't see Steve actually being killed off. Now in retrospect, the filmmaker probably wasn't concerned with the race of the character who dies and i'm probably just erroneously fixating on a movie stereotype. The sole main black character's death didn't jolt me into a state of boycotting the moving or anything crazy like that, it really just made me say aloud "what? really? the black guy dies? oh come on!" and then i went on enjoying the movie. During the beginning of the funeral scene i thought it might have been a tease and some other character may have died instead, and Steve would have just been injured by Andrew's raging. At a point near the end i thought maybe Steve would return, maybe due to the powers having some regenerative capabilities or something.
I don't know, this is one fot he occasions where I think the Dead Bro Walking is alright. Steve, reminded me of being a lot like me, in that he is kind of insesitive, he mocks people when he shouldn't and soemtimes doesn't think being casually quite devestating. After Drew fucked up his first chance of sex, a lot of the stuff Steve said wasn't helpful at all. Not because he is a bad guy but because he just didn't think.

So I think it fits. I don't want to get into a situation where if any black character dies first we view it as a cliche but at the same time I think it is a valid complaint on a meta level.

I have to say though Bob I was really suprised you were even half rooting for Andrew. He was clearly deeply disturbed. Yeah his family life was fucked up but that didn't make me think he had a convincing argument but rather that he needed therapy.

Xalphin

Mar 5, 2009
Bob, you talked about how awesome Josh Trank is for directing the movie but you neglected too mention Max Landis for WRITING IT!! (Who also just posted the hilarious Death and Return of Superman video featuring Elijah Wood, Mandy Moore, and Simon Pegg! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM)

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
370999 said:
BEWARE MASSIVE SPOILERS: Can someone please tell me how to do spoiler tags.
For future reference, you use the [ ] keys for just about everything on this site. Example: If I wanted to say that Darth Vader is Luke's Father, I would type out [ spoiler]Darth Vader is Luke's Father[/spoiler], only without the space in the beginning.

Darth Vader is Luke's Father

You [sub]can do lots of[/sub] different stuff using the [ ] tags, including
where you align your text​
and other stuff like that, here's the guide [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.198114-Escapist-User-Guide-to-Posting-Commands#6436211] to posting things​

May 17, 2010
Lionsfan said:
370999 said:
BEWARE MASSIVE SPOILERS: Can someone please tell me how to do spoiler tags.
For future reference, you use the [ ] keys for just about everything on this site. Example: If I wanted to say that Darth Vader is Luke's Father, I would type out [ spoiler]Darth Vader is Luke's Father[/spoiler], only without the space in the beginning.

Darth Vader is Luke's Father

You [sub]can do lots of[/sub] different stuff using the [ ] tags, including
where you align your text​
and other stuff like that, here's the guide [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.198114-Escapist-User-Guide-to-Posting-Commands#6436211] to posting things​
Cheers mate, awesome thank you!

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
Just thought I'd toss my opinion in. Saw it yesterday with a couple of friends. I had seen a few trailers, my roommate had seen one, and the other friend hadn't seen any, just heard it came highly recommended.

We all agreed it was okay at best. I knew Andrew would turn; the trailers pretty much said so. The other two had figured it out early on, pretty much as soon as the movie started. It was boring, predictable, and rather typical. The only thing none of us knew going in was the death, and even then, we agreed we knew who it would happen to.

I did find it interesting, sort of, how the boys acted when they first got their powers, and agree that it is probably how any boy their age would act if it happened to them, but the descent into the "darkside" and all was just...not as good as it could've been.

Honestly, I would've been happier to see Andrew go evil, but then rise above his circumstances and not be just...bad. I knew he'd stay evil, but I was hoping the movie would suprise me and go the other direction. But nope. It did exactly what I expected because most superhero movies with a character like Andrew end just that way. They go to the darkside and stay there.

It wasn't horrible. The last fifteen or twenty minutes were good, but even the fight scene drug on. I don't know if it's just me becoming less tolerant of action scenes for the sake of action. And seriously, how did it keep going? I mean, really?

I'm not against character study stories. I'm not against character development. I love characters and agree that they are what make or break any story. But that is the issue here, isn't it? I didn't really like the character the movie focused on. It's not that I didn't feel for him or understand what he was going through, but I just felt like they were constantly trying to get me to feel sympathetic for him, as though that was his only trait. I wanted to see some good in him, but all his actions pointed to bad and nothing else. Give me a glimmer of hope for him.

Also, if he really hated his father that much, then why did he actually take to heart what was said about his friends not really being his friends? I guess he might've had a nagging feeling all along, but honestly, he accepted that thought way too fast for someone who probably didn't accept his dad's ideas half the time anyway.

TL:DR: I didn't go into this movie with really high expectations, as I usually don't, but I was actually rather disappointed anyway. But that's me.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
what freaked me out about the character that goes vilian...
i've been there.
i was constantanly picked on from preschool to high school
i've felt that hate
and here's the weird part: my name is andrew
so whenever someone yelled at that character, i couldn't hel but feel like they were yelling at me
kinda vain, i know.
but that was my experience from watching the movie