Escape to the Movies: Final Destination 5

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
So, still no Smurfs? I'm really kinda waiting to get the first show that I followed get bashed so hard because it is a cheap, low-level, unfunny parody of itself.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
That film in the prologue, Darkest Hour, actually looks like it could be one of the best films of the christmas period. The idea of invisible aliens is brilliant, where the audience basically puts there vision of the aliens in there place(Like one of the best alien films(Alien) did by not showing the Alien too much). And the last time I saw actual invisible aliens was the actual best alien species in film.

GHudston said:
RE: Invisible Aliens

I'm just going to leave this here. :)
Although I imagine the invisibility will have a different effect in this one.

Also, Emile Hersh. He is a good indication of a films quality, like Leonardo DiCaprio, he rarely does a bad film.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
Sweet Jesus, thank you for pointing out how awful that The Darkest Hour trailer was. I saw this being described as "28 Days Later but with aliens" so I was seriously disappointed by it.

did you want another Signs
What was wrong with Signs? I don't know why everyone seems to hate that movie so much, I thought it was pretty good.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Invisible aliens could work, rather smart budget thinking, if they have good writing, good acting, and some good effects surrounding the invisible-ness of them.

Cosplay Horatio said:
- Are you kidding me?
I get when people post the captchas when they don't make sense on how they could be typed, but that one seems easy to me:

III pagrat

Three I's meaning the Roman numeral 3 and pagrat.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I think Final Destination suffers from Saw syndrome, when the first one is awesome, the second one is good, and then the third one is meh. Then any films beyond that, is a load of shite, and the whole premise becomes dull.

I won't be watching it.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Loved that you threw the mouse trap image in there bob, reminds me how someone said that in the later FD films you can play the theme to mouse trap and it fits the inplausability going on screen.

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
Gee, there's a pattern. First, there's a major disaster that kills many people. A "psychic" sees it happen before it happens and his/her freakout saves several people. The survivors then start dying in extremely unlikely but rather gruesome fashions (because Death is a sadist at heart, apparently). Psychic and friends figure out that there's a list/order, and that they have to figure it out and "save" one another, forcing Death to skip them once again. Then they figure out that Death loops around on the list and starts again, over and over until it finally gets them. By the time they get to this point, there's only two or three survivors left.

When the first FD movie did this, it was unique despite the mythology being rather silly. The second FD played on the first movie, suggesting a way out of the endless Death loop, and, in my opinion, it worked better than expected. Then the third and fourth movies came along. Instead of adding to the mythology, or even honoring them, they acknowledge the previous movies with a throwaway line essentially saying that, "Yes, this has been done before, but we're going to act like it hasn't." Our characters are too stupid to look things up on the Internet or something, so they never figure out the second movie's "new life" escape clause (though there's some indication that said clause didn't actually work, if you go by another throwaway scene on the DVD of FD3).

The fourth movie was so bad about this that not only did it ignore the previous movies, it wraps up the whole franchise (or was going to, before it made money) by suggesting that ALL OF IT was Death's plan, and everyone was doomed from the start. I HATE that. It turns what was decent suspense and horror into "Let's watch people die." It's ghoulish. While it sounds like FD5 is trying to shake up the mythology (they have to, considering how FD4 ended), this doesn't redeem a series that has become the modern equivalent of Roman gladitorial combat - gruesome violence for the sake of gruesome violence.

Final thought: Interesting how everyone's talking about the trailer to Darkest Hour and not FD5. Tells you something right there.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
I am genuinely interested in seeing "The Darkest Hour" and here's why: "scary" movies haven't been scary for a very long time, with a few exceptions. What made movies like Alien, Predator, and other creature features so great was the fact that you could NOT see what was picking off everyone. That left one's imagination to fill in the blanks, and NO ONE does a better job of scaring the ever-loving hell out of you, than you yourself.

Now, this is all provided that the filmmakers behind this are able to pull off the proper atmosphere. Regardless, this flick sounds much more promising than "Generic Teenagers Get Offed 70."

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Wait there still making final destination films? I can't remember them making a fourth one.

On Darkness Hour;

I would so much have loved to been in the room when the makers pitched the idea of invisible aliens. It must of been a speech on par with Martin Luthur's 'I have a dream' speech

samus17

Jun 5, 2010
Screw you moviebob! Spirits within made it work, this new movie can make it work too! Don't judge before you SEE IT!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I enjoy the Final Destination movies for what they are - thinly-veiled excuses to put creative kills on film. Crushed by plate glass is still an all-time fave. Utterly hilarious.

I also really enjoyed Final Destination 3, which allowed you to watch it "choose your own adventure"-style on DVD. At certain points in the movie, you could choose what the character would do, and the movie would change appropriately. Quite a lot of fun. :)

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
First was was interesting and the deaths were humbling and quick and not very elaborate (except the extensive explody computer moniter, knife in chest and explodey oven sequence)

Second began being more inventive and was still interesting.

Third's only interesting thing was the nailgun through head death, coaster accident and the main character girl which I genuinly liked. Least the first deaths you felt good watching. The two twatfaced girls burning alive.

Forth... was a waste of time. One death didn't register in my head. I had to wikipedia what happened. This guy's insides got sucked through a pool cleaning system somehow. Didn't like any of the cast members so didn't really care. Maybe the girlfriend of the main character I liked a bit.

I'm surprised the fifth is out already. I will still watch it as, this sort of film intregues me. I'll watch it after my mum recovers from cancer as watching death-themed films probably won't help me mentally :p

On the topic of invisable aliens. I find my imagination is always much, much, much worse than any horror film I watch. I watch pathetic things and then, in the evening I'll be terrified. I'll have horrific, disturbing dreams. The Weaping Angels and the Silence terrify me at that time even though they're from Doctor Who. Thinking about things makes them more terrifying. Being shown, makes them not terrifying.
Suggestion is more effective at fear than indication.
The viewer will take the raw materials and mould the scenario into something they find personally horrific. The Invisable Aliens film, to me, looks good. I hope I'm not disappointed as... recently there's seemed to be alot of crap monster films.

The concept of Final Destination still occationally terrifies me IRL, but not the film. The more domestic the horror film, the more frightening. The first film was very domestic. It seems the later ones tried to out-do themselves with grotesque theatrical deaths.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
Birdemic joke aside, I have my doubts about Darkest Hour. One invisible alien in a horror setting has the potential to be really good, but lots of them in a Red Dawn type movie will probably just suck. Basically it looks like the alien version of Law of Inverse Ninjutsu.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
That invisible aliens thing could work if they had some sort of method to know where they are. If not, it would be rubbish.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
I would say that invisible aliens could work if that movie was playing up a horror angle.

I am a firm believer in "nothing scarier" and having no idea what is ripping people to shreds, and having no idea where that horror is or what it looks like can be pants wetting if done right.

A section where your in a basement that is filled with water. There is something that is in the water that you only know it is there by the splashes it makes as it slowly moves towards you and the floating box your standing on. It is invisible, it can only attack if your in the water, but the fact that I have no idea what it is and only a vague idea where it is at any time makes you scared of your own kitchen sink for a week.

Of course the film in question is trying to be a rather silly action movie first.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Like so many above, I find the invisible aliens more interesting than FD5. Invisible aliens might turn out to be interesting. Well, theaters are exercises in choice and FD5 won't get my money.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Invisible aliens... Didn't BLair Witch Project do the same thing, MovieBob?
Where the "evil/horror" was something you couldn't see, left to the imagination?

It sounds like the film version of one of these stupid Ghosthunters shows where the stars walk through supposedly haunted places getting bumped by ghosts all night and never catch a damn thing on film.