Escape to the Movies: Final Destination 5

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I enjoy the Final Destination movies for what they are - thinly-veiled excuses to put creative kills on film. Crushed by plate glass is still an all-time fave. Utterly hilarious.

I also really enjoyed Final Destination 3, which allowed you to watch it "choose your own adventure"-style on DVD. At certain points in the movie, you could choose what the character would do, and the movie would change appropriately. Quite a lot of fun. :)
My favorite is/was the log meets car part in FD 2. Beside that, yeah, Final destination took the same road as Saw, people just want to see some creative and random killing.

For the Darkest Hour part, I liked the trailer it showed enough to get me excited (aliens invade earth, "normal" people try to fight them back, using creative devices(Proton-pack?)). It probably won't win any movie-of-the-year awards, but not every movie need to try this.

Christopher Parker

Jan 13, 2011
Sounded like he was more impressed than offended by The Darkest Hour...

Incidentally, I liked Battle Los Angeles (though I'd have preferred it if the battle had been lost, simply because that would have made more sense).

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
About The Man of Steel....sure, he looks the part (costume looks awesome, he's actually the best looking guy to fill the suit since 1950s era Chris Reeves body-wise, shame about the hair), but can he act?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... Whoa! ... How did I not know they were actually making another 'Superman'? :D

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Oh I dunno. I think it'll some down to execution for the Darkest Hour. I mean, you never know. We fear more what we can't see. Maybe it'll more than just a shoot-em-up alien movie.

You never know.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Penguin_Factory said:
Sweet Jesus, thank you for pointing out how awful that The Darkest Hour trailer was. I saw this being described as "28 Days Later but with aliens" so I was seriously disappointed by it.

did you want another Signs
What was wrong with Signs? I don't know why everyone seems to hate that movie so much, I thought it was pretty good.
The aliens melted when you sprayed water on them, they spent ages fucking around in people's gardens, and then, when they actually decided to attack, the only ones we saw were defeated with a baseball bat and a glass of water. Presumably the invasion in general was repelled by a few dozen fire engines spread across the world. Then there's the fact that these super advanced aliens, who had the technology to cross the vast emptiness of space and home in on our tiny speck of a planet, fought naked and empty handed. Even the barbarian tribes who fought against the Roman Empire fought with weapons. The movie rationalised that they didn't want to panic us into using nuclear weapons. What, so they didn't have any lower tech weapons to be used for stupid tactics like that? Or, for that matter, a system to disable our nukes? The plot for Scary Movie 3 actually made more sense that the plot for Signs. That, and probably some more subtle reasons that I've missed, is why people hate that movie.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
I'm ok with the whole invisible aliens concept... as other people have pointed out, Predator was amazing.

But, Predator wasn't exactly invisible. He (it) was translucent, but you could still KINDA see where he was. You could see the general outline of what was hunting you, and where it was moving. That's a far sight better than what I'm seeing in this trailer here, where there is literally NOTHING comprising the aliens, save the few obligatory shots where it gets hit with dust, paint, dog fur, or whatever to give you that general outline.

Horror movies (and games) definitely benefit from not showing the goods right away, or too much. See Predator, as discussed, or Amnesia: the Dark Descent. Letting the viewer's imagination run away with it can yield amazing results .... but you've gotta give them a little something to work with. Oh, let me have just a little bit of peril? (No, it's unhealthy)

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Anyone else see the irony of praising a movie about an invisible force killing off a bunch of teenagers and then criticising a movie about an invisible alien invasion killing off a bunch of teenagers in one video review?

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Hmmm, I guess I'll just wiki this movie to find how they die and what the whole big ending is about....yeah, not paying a dime over some meaningless information I can find in the webs. Maybe in a year (maybe??) from now if I'm reminded somehow another damn FD movie was made I'll youtube the deaths....and that's that.

:)

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
I would say im impressed with the invisible aliens idea. No entity is more scary than the foe you can't see. Seriously my favorite sci fi episodes are the one such as star trek where there is an invisible force or invader on the ship.

JehuBot

Jun 1, 2011
OK , that "invisible Aliens" idea for a movie sounds like a hilariously pathetic excuse from the movie makers for not having enough budget to make decent looking CGI aliens.

there's no middle ground in this one , this is either gonna suck so hard , or becomes a pretty damn good one if they do it right.

about FD , I only watched a few bits of 1 and 2 , and 3 via Film Brain's review of it , never cared about that series so much , and never will be. :/

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
If we're talking about awesome movies about alien invasions, why couldn't you review Attack the Block? It would've been a much more interesting review than going on about a movie that was done to death 3 movies ago.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Final Destination was a good movie.
I enjoyed it.
Then, suddenly, there's 5.
It's almost like American Pie.
Watch it, was decent, then there's 7 of the goddamn things.
Instead of riding original ideas into the dirt, why not come up with new ones for once?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Well, the unknown is still one of the scariest things. Think about it: Dead Space with its buckets of gore or System Shock with its comparatively rare enemies and atmosphere-building - which is scarier? Doesn't mean it'll work in this alien movie, but if done right, it can be awesome. So, "impressed" gets my vote I suppose.

As for FD5? Another milking of the sequel cow. Meh. Though the thing about the twist at the end sounds interesting. I can't really believe a series like this could still be surprising in the friggin' fifth installment.

Where's Catwoman's cat mask with the ears?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
They will probably show the aliens in some way anyways, like spray-painting them or using thermal imagining.

The movie idea could be great, but it can also turn out like Happening. Actually, that would be great, Happening is absolutely hilarious.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I enjoy the Final Destination movies for what they are - thinly-veiled excuses to put creative kills on film. Crushed by plate glass is still an all-time fave. Utterly hilarious.

I also really enjoyed Final Destination 3, which allowed you to watch it "choose your own adventure"-style on DVD. At certain points in the movie, you could choose what the character would do, and the movie would change appropriately. Quite a lot of fun. :)
lol, true about FD 3 dvd. at the beginning before the girl had the vision, you can choose what side of the coin you want. i think it was heads, she saves already her friends before they went on the ride and after the disaster happened, the movie ended. lol
so yeah, from this point of view, it was fun that you could choose how they die or survive and ended the movie differently if every one dies or do survive.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
I've always regarded the Final Destination series with a mix of scorn, contempt and outright disgust. Even if you regard the first movie as a unique and original twist on the horror genre kind of like the original Saw, also like the original Saw the subsequent sequels have disregarded the actual interesting premise in favour of making what basically amount to snuff movies, films where the SOLE selling point is the obscenely gruesome ways people get mutilated and killed for the audience's sick pleasure. Well that's not entirely fair to Saw, those films at least had an ongoing continuity and some social commentary. This isn't even in the same vein as Piranha 3D which was more "crazy awesome insane" with stuff like Ving Rhaimes slaughtering hordes of killer piranhas with an outboard motor, it's just gore for gore's sake and NOTHING MORE and as a result I find it utterly repulsive, even with the supposed "moral dilemma" in this one.

Mind you, despite what Bob says, I think Darkest Hour sounds awesome. I'd definitely go with "impressed"; being stalked by invisible monsters during broad daylight has always struck me as one of the most nightmarish things imaginable and leaves you constantly wonderiong exactly WHAT they look like. In fact, I have to hope the film never does actually include an "oh so THAT'S what the look like" reveal because it would only disappoint and disperse the terror and tension.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Frybird said:
The "Are you f***ing kidding me" during the prologue can be replied exactly the same.

There is a movie set in Russia, with invisible aliens who are more dangerous by day than by night, and have to be avoided/defeated through makeshift means, and that is a BAD THING?!?

Riiiight, because we need more movies like Battle:Los Angeles
We'll the explanation is very simple; it isn't a comic book movie and they haven't sent Bob a check yet to give it some good press. Though it seems the Final Destination people did.