Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

Valgresas

Jul 23, 2009
I love the random shot of Mark Reynolds, the strikeout king himself! Unfortunately he's not on pace to break his own record again :'( Cheer up Bob, it's not like the worst movie ever is coming out in 2 weeks... oh right.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I'm not sure what Bob really thought about this film. He seems on the fence...

I am still going to see this one next week. So I won't be contributing to any opening weekend figures, but I hope I don't hate it totally.

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
I liked the Green Lantern movie. It wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread but I thought it was a C+ at least.

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
I'm glad I checked this out first before going to the movies. I kind figured though, since I thought the CGI costume was a bad idea, but i thought hey how bad could they really make it. :/

jynxy87

Mar 18, 2011
So I didn't think the movie was that bad. It has some pretty major problems; ones that I won't get into simply because they have been harped on countless times already. The movie isn't great by any means, but I thought it was at least tolerable.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
"Batman and Robin bad"?! Seriously, calm down, Bob. I don't think anything comes close to that. Mediocre? Yeah, probably. I have yet to see it. If you honestly hyped your expectations that much as to make a comparison to the unholiest of film trainwrecks, it was probably your fault to begin with. And will all that Green Lantern support in those Big Picture videos, I'm not really surprised. I know you really wanted this to succeed, and it must feel like you got your heart ripped out of your chest to see a sub-par creation. But probably all it was. Sub-par. Average. Just okay. Probably not worthy of the verbal laceration you just gave it. Again, I have yet to see it, and I'll go into it expecting another stupid super hero film.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So hey Bob, do we get a Going Green part 3 on Tuesday? I'm not going to watch the Green Lantern and want to see how this perfect storm came to be. Also, if you continue on at this level of rage you may just earn yourself a red ring.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'm going to see it just to spite bob. I may even pay TWICE what it costs to see the movie (whoa, wait, gotta slow down there).

Actually I'm probably going to see Thor which, STUNNINGLY is still in my local theatre. or X Men, msotly cause everything else looks like somethign I'll hate or be disappointed by, and Green Lanturn is going to be freaking packed.

TheHardcase

Jun 7, 2011
I heard the movie was getting bad reviews, but I waited for Bob's to decide if I would see it this weekend. I figured it's the kind of movie that, if it were good, Bob would love it. Unfortunately not the case. Not gonna see it this weekend, which is a commitment for me because I'll be unable to see movies for the next two weeks after this. Still refusing.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Well I can't say I expected this. Being bad? Sure, but this is impressively sucky if half the stuff you mentioned is true.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Ya know, I didn't like the Green Lantern costume much either when I first saw it, and when I told my younger sister this, she said, "but the costume isn't really there." and then it hit me: the costume is supposed to look like it isn't there, because the costume is a manifestation of his Green Lantern powers and functions from a subconscious portion of his imagination. And when I thought of it in that aspect, the suit really doesn't seem that bad.

shame the movie didn't do well, it looked like it had promise.

Also, Ryan Reynolds, you cannot be Green Lantern AND Deadpool. I was really upset to find out that Christian Bale was allowed to be Batman AND John Connor. The only way this would be acceptable is if Deadpool says something along the lines of, "Now where did I put that ring?" That would make Green Lantern totally worth it.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Falcon123 said:
Yeah, I saw the rottentomatoes score and was hoping it was just a whole bunch of critics being to smug for their own good, so I waited to hear from you before I got tickets. Glad I missed out on this obviously shit movie. Sorry you had to sit through it
Bob tends to be pretty smug himself >.> Ive heard a lot of people praising the movie, but also a lot condemning it, its around 50/50

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Wow. I was not expecting it to get lambasted so hard. Well, I certainly won't be paying to see this now.

Something tells me MovieBob should take up Yahtzee's idea of never getting your hopes up over anything being previewed. I have a feeling his abject disgust of the movie may have been toned down a bit if that was the case.

The whole costume thing seems really silly to me. Making an actual costume would have been easier, cheaper, and it would've looked far better as well. As a 3D animator I can say first hand that animating something as central and in your face as a costume for an entire live action movie is just asking for trouble. It's not easy to animate something like that, there's no magic button, and any flaws are going to be glaringly obvious. I would love to know who actually thought it was a good idea to spend millions on special effects that were pretty much guaranteed to fail.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Well, according to my friend who has a few Lantern tattoos... he says it's "Awesome!"

I have always known him to have 'bad taste' in movies when I compare them to what I like.

NoaNeumann

Oct 23, 2009
The general consensus is that this movie blows. I'm surprised it actually did so bad as to effect Bob so deeply, but then again all fans expect great things from the movies made of their favorite heroes and when they fail... in this case especially hard, they get pissed, mostly from all the talk they wasted on it, money, time, effort, etc. If you want to see a semi-decent GL movie go see DC's animated movies Green lantern: First Flight and/or GL: Emerald Knight, those movies were fantastic....and are free somewhere on the internet lol.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I went into the movie having seen the poor reviews and personally having only a passing knowledge of the Green Lantern and I walked out thinking it was at best adequate(and at worst laughably bad). Fans of the IP will likely all rage and pick it to pieces like Bob did. For people just looking to have a fun time at the movies, I would liken this to Daredevil in the sense that depending on how much you like/how charming you find the leading man that's probably how you'll feel about the movie.