Escape to the Movies: Noah - Brave, Bold, Bizarre and Kind Of Brilliant

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Noah - Brave, Bold, Bizarre and Kind Of Brilliant

MovieBob checks out Darren Aronofsky's biblical-inspired epic.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
I'm both confused and interested in how the film treats the Watchers. According to the Book of Enoch, which the movies seems to be drawing on for a lot of the 'apocrypha' (It's canon in the Ethiopic Church) the Watchers were the root of evil; rebellious angels who went to Earth and consorted with human women, they created a race of giants and were the cause of the Flood. Weird to see them cast in a heroic role.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
I don't agree.

I've watched the movie yesterday, and I ended up disliking it.
I practically never rooted for Noah during the first and second act, and the major action climax of the film ended up feeling like a reverse of most fantasy movies.
the villain unleashes his army of inhuman monsters to stomp out a large crowd of people who must die simply because the villain deemed them to be unfit to survive... and were suppose to root for the villain ?
the only thing i DID like in this story (effects aside) was that the third act seemed to actually AGREE with me that Noah is a despicable bastard.

when the final showdown took place, i was wholeheartedly rooting for the "bad guy" to kill Noah.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
Bob. I think you and I are just gonna have to face it. We're gonna have to go see the movie to find out what th REAL GREEN GOBLIN looks like.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I might see this movie down the road, but I'm saving up for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

As for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer... Yeah, I'm not feeling confident about this one at all. -_- Not just from the uncanny valley effect from the CGI turtles (should have called Jim Henson's Creature Shop for this one, Bay) but the tone of the movie feels rather schizophrenic. So does this mean we're getting a Big Picture special episode on Monday, an article on Monday, or did Bob slip up on the release date?

And, no, Bob. That is, apparently the finalize look of the Green Goblin. *facepalm* Somewhere, Willem Dafoe is saying to himself "And people gave me shit about my Green Goblin".

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I still want to see a movie adaptation of Bill Cosby's Noah.

THAT'S the Greem Goblin? Apparently someone's ony point of reference for goblins was []iLabyrinth[/i].

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
2:40

Am I the only one who's sick of the "industry/science/technology is bad, nature is good" idea that pops up in movies/games/books/etc.?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
McMarbles said:
I still want to see a movie adaptation of Bill Cosby's Noah.
"Say, what's this thing for anyway?"
"I can't tell you. Ha ha ha ha."
"Well, can you give me a little hint?"
"You want a hint?"
"Yes please."
"How long can you tread water? Ha ha ha ha."

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking of Bill Cosby while I was watching this review. I'm intrigued by this movie, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to see it. Maybe if there's nothing to do someday.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
marioandsonic said:

Am I the only one who's sick of the "industry/science/technology is bad, nature is good" idea that pops up in movies/games/books/etc.?
A lot of times, such as in this case, it seems to be used to make a statement about environmental issues. It is sort of an extreme position, as technology isn't so much inherently bad as that we've been seriously abusing it for years. Still, given how important environmental issues are, I can't really complain about it being worked into narratives.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
marioandsonic said:

I think that is why Bob was like "GEEZE, I wonder who the good guys are" so sarcastically. It is certainly becoming a very tiring trope. Too bad the reverse would get skewered in today's overly charged political climate :/

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well call me interested. And I think we're all going to have to wait for the movie to come out to see the real Green Goblin.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
marioandsonic said:

It's possibly just because I'm a video game playing and computer science type person, but I always get a bit uncomfortable when people keep spouting the whole 'good environmentalism = technological stasis' moral over and over again. I mean, I don't hate the environment, but I often feel like I'd rather root for the bad guy if our choices are 'be good people' or 'have things more advanced than wheelbarrows'.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I just find it rather funny that after all the I don't understand what the big deal is about changing superheroes that now it's the Bible crowd that gets to find out why people can get upset about change. Although it makes me wonder does this mean we have to call them Bible nerds?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
marioandsonic said:

I?m not sick of it I always hated it, If you honestly want to live without techonogy you are a idiot.

Despite that annoying plot point the movie still looks very interesting.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
MysticSlayer said:
marioandsonic said:

A lot of times, such as in this case, it seems to be used to make a statement about environmental issues. It is sort of an extreme position, as technology isn't so much inherently bad as that we've been seriously abusing it for years. Still, given how important environmental issues are, I can't really complain about it being worked into narratives.
I'm not saying environmentalism is a bad thing. But narratives like those seem to say that technology and nature are enemies, which is complete nonsense.

I firmly believe that technology and nature are not only not enemies, but can also be used to support one another.

But like you said, technology isn't good or evil, it just is. What matters is how it's used.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Falterfire said:
marioandsonic said:

It's possibly just because I'm a video game playing and computer science type person, but I always get a bit uncomfortable when people keep spouting the whole 'good environmentalism = technological stasis' moral over and over again. I mean, I don't hate the environment, but I often feel like I'd rather root for the bad guy if our choices are 'be good people' or 'have things more advanced than wheelbarrows'.
Yeah, and that is an issue with the really hardcore environmentalists too. Caring about the environment doesn't mean we can't advance as a species, it doesn't mean we can't be a technological, industrial species. It's all in how you do it. There's a lot of very neat ideas out there. Solar power, wind, hydro-electric, more and more advanced (and rechargeable) batteries that makes the pure electric power produced by them more viable in things like cars and heavier machinery. And if you want to get into more futuristic tech, nuclear fusion remains the holy grail of large-scale power distribution, and there are already ideas out there for orbital solar power collectors (satellites you stick up in orbit that absorb solar energy without the atmosphere to get in the way, and then beam it down to collection sites on the ground as microwave radiation. The tech just isn't currently there though) and such.

Assuming we ever get there, anyway. Fossil fuels and their derivatives are finite resources. We only have so long a window before they disappear and if we don't start using them like what they really are (an imperfect but undeniably useful stepping stone between muscle-power and truly sustainable energy), then we're going to run out of time and get screwed by them in the end.

The trick is to advance ourselves enough to where our industry doesn't also destroy our own habitat. Create a stable infrastructure of sustainable energy, and then figure out how to get up into space to mine our raw resources from all the asteroids and barren moons junking up our system. Not only are they richer in a lot of rarer elements, but you can mine a barren rock all you want without hurting anyone's environment. Yes, it's technically finite, but there's so much in our solar system alone we could never exploit it all.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
marioandsonic said:

I mostly get annoyed by the hypocrisy. Like, they're not against all technology, they just seem to draw arbitrary lines as to what technology is okay.

"Hey, if we don't build granaries, we can't store surplus harvests. That means one bad drought or blight or raid by nomads could wipe us out."

"Well, okay, then obviously we can build granaries."

"Then we need carpentry and masonry. And we'll have to cut down trees."

"Um, okay. Well, a few trees should be okay."

"If we don't use metal implements, we'll have to work like 10 times as hard tilling the soil and harvesting and building granaries."

"Well, fine, we can use metal implements."

"So it's okay to start mining and smelting and forging?"

"Sure, I guess."

"That would go a lot faster if we could use a block and tackle and a waterwheel."

Etc., etc.