Escape to the Movies: Paul

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
ImSkeletor said:
What the hell is "Intelligent Design"?
A massive conspiracy to sneak God into classrooms by Charles [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Thaxton] Thaxton [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District].

Seriously, though, Mr. Thaxton is a good guy. I went to the same church he did. Feel free to visit and harass the Thaxtons here [http://covenantpres.net/] if they still attend ;)

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Hexskit said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Hexskit said:
Cliff_m85 said:
McNinja said:
Cliff_m85 said:
McNinja said:
The "theory" in the theory of evolution means that there is significant evidence to support it. However, I believe that there is an omnipotent being called "God" who at the very least kick-started the whole thing.

On that note: we get it movieBob, you don't think ID is right. However, being so arrogant and pretentious as to just automatically assume you're right and want to shove just how wrong those who believe in ID are is simply terrible. Not like "you're a terrible person" but terrible as in terrible, terrible journalism. I for one will not be watching anymore of MovieBobs series (any one them), because I don't like pretentious pricks telling me how wrong I am for believing something.
You're wrong for believing in something where the main qualifier is "I HAVE FAITH" rather than "I have significant evidence to show how what I believe is correct".

I'll tell you how silly you are just as I'd tell Fred Phelps how silly he is just as I'd tell a racist or a sexist how their faith-based beliefs are silly. I'll be watching each MovieBob twice to make up for you.
Really? Why is that wrong? You have no evidence to the contrary, so you cannot prove that I am wrong. BAM.

Just kidding. About the "BAM" part, not the evidence part. When you prove that we were not created by a god of any sort, I'll tell you how right you were. Until then, please keep your foolhardy assertions to yourself.

And just for the record, I do believe that there are aliens, and that evolution happened, just not to the "we evolved from microbes" degree.
Illogical. My mother birthed me, but you cannot prove that my mother is NOT an alien from GammaBeta Quadrant Flabnoix. You can't prove a negative, sir. There is always a loophole in the argument when you are trying to prove a negative. For instance, you can't prove that I'm not a puppy. What's that? I look human? A disguise, I assure you. X-ray? Sure, but my puppiness is fused to my human disguise and I have a beta-sensor module that transmits false waves to Xrays.

You can't prove a negative, I repeat.

I don't believe in aliens just as you don't believe in evolution. Your claim is akin to "I like BLT sandwiches, but only if they don't have bacon on them".
Again, dark matter.

Also, learn to multi-quote.
I ignored it because I thought it was silly. Obviously you have no understanding of dark matter. We can detect dark matter via it's gravity. There is demonstrable evidence of it existing. We may not know a lot about it, but we can detect it. Invisibility only neglects sight, not any other sense.
You can detect dark matter via its gravity. Wow. That's what you've got? I mean, I know that's the official scientific explanation behind it, but still. Nevermind that it's 100% transparent. Nevermind that it isn't composed of baryons, so we can't observe it absorbing radiation. Nevermind that, between dark matter and dark energy, 95% of the contents of the universe is only inferred to exist, any only based on how light behaves around it. Nevermind that, if it didn't exist, we'd have to restructure how we explain large parts of the universe. Nevermind that the idea of it was created using the train of thought: "well, our numbers don't match each other, but they can't be wrong, so let's start inventing explanations that make our models work". Nevermind that they make the assertion of the existence of this otherwise undetectable matter because elsewise, Einstein's theory of gravity would be wrong.

Nevermind that it basically amounts to the scientific community basically saying "we can't directly PROVE that this stuff exists, be we know it must exist, because we KNOW and can SEE that it affects other things", because that would wind up sounding a lot like *gasp* faith!

Now here's the twist ending, funny-man: I'm a mechanical engineering major. That's right, a science guy. I actually do believe dark matter and dark energy exist. I'm also not a militant-fucking-atheist like you and your hero Dawkins. Grow up, and realize that not only does science not have the answer for everything, but it often functions by making blind assertions and leaps of logic and frequently tries to prove conclusions after already making them.

Also, you used an "appeal to ridicule" fallacy there with your GammaBeta Quadrant Flabnoix paragraph. Get better material.

Also, yes, I obviously have no idea how dark matter works. Assumptions are great, right?

Spot1990 said:
Eugenics? You mean that thing the Nazis were all into? The Nazis who were lead by a Catholic?

Also, there is a massive difference between doing something and being atheist and doing something because you're atheist. I eat ham sandwiches. I'm an atheist while I eat ham sandwiches. My atheism does not compel me to eat ham sandwiches.

Equating the two is like saying everyone who plays videogames who has commited a violent crime did it because they play videogames.
Where does everyone get the idea that Hitler was anything besides a militant atheist? Because he was. He believed that Christianity was an invention of "the Jew", that it would ultimately lead to the failure of humanity, and that evolution was the natural order of things. And yes, I can give sauce.
Ofcourse science doesn't have the answer for everything, but that doesn't mean we put your placeholder in. And no, you obviously don't fully understand dark matter.

And revising history? Read "Mein Kampft". Even IF Hitler was an Atheist, the soldiers following him obviously believed in a deity. "Gott mit uns" on belt buckles tend to suggest a belief in god. Not to mention him deliberately misinterpreting Darwin (not Dawkins, Darwin wrote OotS)

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
I used to like Movie Bob when I first started watching his reviews, I mean, he annihilated the Twilight series. Now though, and especially in the Big Picture videos, I'm starting to see him for what he really is...a dick

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Hexskit said:
You can detect dark matter via its gravity. Wow. That's what you've got? I mean, I know that's the official scientific explanation behind it, but still. Nevermind that it's 100% transparent. Nevermind that it isn't composed of baryons, so we can't observe it absorbing radiation. Nevermind that, between dark matter and dark energy, 95% of the contents of the universe is only inferred to exist, any only based on how light behaves around it. Nevermind that, if it didn't exist, we'd have to restructure how we explain large parts of the universe. Nevermind that the idea of it was created using the train of thought: "well, our numbers don't match each other, but they can't be wrong, so let's start inventing explanations that make our models work". Nevermind that they make the assertion of the existence of this otherwise undetectable matter because elsewise, Einstein's theory of gravity would be wrong.

Nevermind that it basically amounts to the scientific community basically saying "we can't directly PROVE that this stuff exists, be we know it must exist, because we KNOW and can SEE that it affects other things", because that would wind up sounding a lot like *gasp* faith!
LOL. I like how you admit that there is evidence for dark matter (measurable gravity and observable effects on light) yet turn around and try to claim that believing it exits is faith which is, by definition, believing something in spite of a lack of evidence. Nice try.
Now here's the twist ending, funny-man: I'm a mechanical engineering major. That's right, a science guy. I actually do believe dark matter and dark energy exist. I'm also not a militant-fucking-atheist like you and your hero Dawkins. Grow up, and realize that not only does science not have the answer for everything...
Science doesn't claim this and no intellectually honest "science guy" would make that claim.
...but it often functions by making blind assertions and leaps of logic and frequently tries to prove conclusions after already making them.
Perhaps as a "science guy" you could give us some examples of widely accepted scientific theories that where acquired in this manner?
Also, you used an "appeal to ridicule" fallacy there with your GammaBeta Quadrant Flabnoix paragraph. Get better material.
Actually, no, he didn't. He was giving a valid example of how you can't prove a negative. He used a ridiculous example because it had to be something that everyone would "know" to be untrue and yet couldn't technically be dis-proven. I personally prefer to use Unicorns because they are actually in the Bible, but alien impregnation works too.
Also, yes, I obviously have no idea how dark matter works. Assumptions are great, right?
His assumption was not completely unreasonable because you where implying that there was absolutely no evidence for dark matter, hence it requiring "faith". There is in fact evidence therefor you appeared ignorant when in fact you where just being dishonest.
Where does everyone get the idea that Hitler was anything besides a militant atheist? Because he was. He believed that Christianity was an invention of "the Jew", that it would ultimately lead to the failure of humanity, and that evolution was the natural order of things.
More intellectual dishonesty.

Adolf Hitler
"I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews. I am doing the Lord's work."

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so."

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith. . . we need believing people."

"Embued with the desire to secure for the German people the great religious, moral, and cultural values rooted in the two Christian Confessions, we have abolished the political organizations but strengthened the religious institutions."

"We were convinced that the people needs and requires this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out."

Note: Nazi belt buckles also had "God with us" in Germain etched on them.

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Adolf_Hitler#Hitler_was_an_atheist
To be fair, there is a valid historical debate to be had about Hitler's faith. It seems he was rather keen on saying whatever would please the crowds at the time. That being said he certainly was not a "militant atheist" and his motivations where not based on atheist philosophy.

You know how I know that? Because there is no such thing as "atheist philosophy!" Atheism is a LACK of belief, not a belief. Atheism has no say on how people should live their lives. It simply means that there is no proof of god and therefor I don't believe it. End of story. Anything else comes from other philosophical foundations.

And yes, I can give sauce.
Then why didn't you?

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Since when is pissing off "intelligent design" wackos controversial? There is only a small portion of one country on the entire planet where anyone takes that junk seriously.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Ha! I just recently saw Mac and Me again. I had not seen it since I was a kid, but now I understand why I always wanted McDonald's and coke. Man Our kids movies didn't even try to hide the advertising did they?

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost should probably just get married. Just like Johnny Depp and Tim Burton only Simon's in good movies.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Firstly, no, it's not a follow on from Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead, there's no Edgar Wright and it's an american movie, and Pegg and Frost had to tone down the ... British stuff, for fear of alienating US audiences. ( see what I did there? )

However, it's still great fun, it's not half as dumb as the trailer makes it look, and while it does bash the whole extreme creationist angle, I can live with that. It's not having a go at Christians, just one small sub section of them who, imo, have taken the whole thing too far. In the end, it's a movie, and they're jokes.

It's like you get gamers, then you get cosplayers, and cosplayers realise it's all a bit 'out there' and kinda understand that they're going to get a bit of mockery.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Mygaffer said:
Sovvolf said:
Yeah, same here... I watched a part in the trailer where the Alien starts shaking his arse out of the van window and well... I sort of lost faith in the film from that point. Wasn't really expecting an arse joke from this duo So my expectation have bee put a little low at the moment.
You weren't? You have SEEN their other movies, right?
Yes, I own the both of them on DVD. And yeah I realise that Sean of the Dead and a few fart jokes in it coming from Frost however... it was a little more subtle than waving your arse out the window... I don't know... It just seemed a little too in your face compared to their usual work.

Tyrany42

Aug 5, 2010
Master_of_Oldskool said:
Okay,Bob and the entire rest of the Escapist community. You're atheists. I get it. Do you find it absolutely necessary to be such dicks about it? You're entitled to your opinion, obviously. I'm not trying to claim that you're wrong. But why do you feel the need to, in your own words, "give a big 'screw you' to the Intelligent Design community"? Do you honestly think it makes you seem more credible? Do you think you're somehow converting the believers? Or is it just because our opinions differ from yours? Because there's a word for someone who's so petty they denounce any opinions that differ from theirs, and the word in question is "asshole".

Furthermore, why can't we all be right? I personally think that evolution is the best explanation for life on Earth, as there's so much evidence. I also believe that there is an omnipotent, omniscient, but not necessarily kind creature who began the whole process, and choose to call this creature God. If you don't like that second part, then feel free to disagree. But why must you take personal offense to it? Are you really that childish?

I hope I've made you all think, although I somehow doubt it.

More on topic, this movie looks like crap to me. Seth Rogen = do not want.
We're an easy target. See, if there was no religion, then people like Seth McFarlane and Bill Mahar would be working at Walmart right now.

Tyrany42

Aug 5, 2010
Cliff_m85 said:
Jetsetneo said:
hurricanejbb said:
Just an aside, my aunt is religious and she doesn't consider the idea of alien life blasphemous. Rather, she believes that if extraterrestrial life were discovered, it would be further proof of God's majesty. I know this is pretty irrelevant to the topic, but I just felt I should bring up that I don't think all religious people would react to aliens the way Kristen Whig's character does.
Very much so, I'm not a catholic, but even the pope has had some reconciliation with the idea of other intelligent life.

Aliens are 'far' from the 'nail-in-the-coffin' of religon in general that Militant atheists want it to be. Much like evolution in general. Religion tends to roll with the punches, always have, always will, whether its Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, or Scientology.
Woah woah woah. Roll with the punches as in "fight if for a multitude of decades before realizing they lost the battle and readjusting their belief with apologetics and claiming that there was evidence for it in the Bible/Quran/Torah/Etc the whole time"?

Are we forgetting that the Catholic Church imprisoned Galileo? Let's not pretend that religion is absolutely all for scientific discoveries.
You do realize that was a few hundred years ago, right? And that large organizations change over time? Does America still allow slavery, too?

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
Cliff_m85 said:
Sorry, I think I hear an individual misinterpreting Darwin. Oh wow, there IS an individual misinterpreting Darwin! :D Not only that, but mistaking Atheism with Evolution with Eugenics!

Atheism =/= Evolution. Evolution =/= Eugenics. You'd know that if you read "Origin of the Species" or any textbook on the matter of Evolution. Ben Stein is not a credible source.
A theistic world view spawned Eugenics? Sir Francis Galton.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
I personally thought Paul was really good, and I'll happily go watch it again. The references only served to enhance a film that was already pretty funny. (Y)

Steven True

Jun 5, 2010
FROGGEman2 said:
-People being racist-

Moviebob: WHAT THE HELL YOU GUYS ARE EVIL

-People making fun of religious people-

Moviebob: HELL YEAH GUYS YOU'RE GREAT
Race is an immutable aspect of somebody. Objecting to somebody's race is objecting to that person's very existence.

Religion is a set of idea. Objecting to religion is objecting to a set of ideas, not the people who hold them. Intelligent design is a particularly ridiculous set of ideas and thus should be ridiculed.