Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
-People being racist-

Moviebob: WHAT THE HELL YOU GUYS ARE EVIL

-People making fun of religious people-

Moviebob: HELL YEAH GUYS YOU'RE GREAT
Race is an immutable aspect of somebody. Objecting to somebody's race is objecting to that person's very existence.

Religion is a set of idea. Objecting to religion is objecting to a set of ideas, not the people who hold them. Intelligent design is a particularly ridiculous set of ideas and thus should be ridiculed.
But that's really close-minded. These people love their beliefs and their God, and expecting them to change to their views because they're "ridiculous" is exactly the same as expecting someone to give up their racial heritage (after all, these beliefs are largely inherited).

This would be fine if Moviebob wasn't a massive hypocrite about it.

Steven True

Jun 5, 2010
Tyrany42 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Are we forgetting that the Catholic Church imprisoned Galileo? Let's not pretend that religion is absolutely all for scientific discoveries.
You do realize that was a few hundred years ago, right?
And it took them that long to admit they were wrong. The Catholic Church only admitted to Galileo being right in 1992.

But, the point is that the Catholic Church and most religions do not aid in discovery. They try to deny it for as long as possible and when that is no longer possible then they try to pretend that their holy books held that information all along.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Tyrany42 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Jetsetneo said:
hurricanejbb said:
Just an aside, my aunt is religious and she doesn't consider the idea of alien life blasphemous. Rather, she believes that if extraterrestrial life were discovered, it would be further proof of God's majesty. I know this is pretty irrelevant to the topic, but I just felt I should bring up that I don't think all religious people would react to aliens the way Kristen Whig's character does.
Very much so, I'm not a catholic, but even the pope has had some reconciliation with the idea of other intelligent life.

Aliens are 'far' from the 'nail-in-the-coffin' of religon in general that Militant atheists want it to be. Much like evolution in general. Religion tends to roll with the punches, always have, always will, whether its Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, or Scientology.
Woah woah woah. Roll with the punches as in "fight if for a multitude of decades before realizing they lost the battle and readjusting their belief with apologetics and claiming that there was evidence for it in the Bible/Quran/Torah/Etc the whole time"?

Are we forgetting that the Catholic Church imprisoned Galileo? Let's not pretend that religion is absolutely all for scientific discoveries.
You do realize that was a few hundred years ago, right? And that large organizations change over time? Does America still allow slavery, too?
Yes, I do. But it shows the span of time it takes for the Church to get with the program. It just recently accepted Evolution. It took hundreds of years for them to accept that we aren't the center of the universe. It comes late to the party, but stands outside said party screaming "LIAR" for the first four hours before finally coming into the house.

Steven True

Jun 5, 2010
Master_of_Oldskool said:
Okay,Bob and the entire rest of the Escapist community. You're atheists. I get it. Do you find it absolutely necessary to be such dicks about it? You're entitled to your opinion, obviously. I'm not trying to claim that you're wrong. But why do you feel the need to, in your own words, "give a big 'screw you' to the Intelligent Design community"?
Why give a "screw you" to intelligent design? Because the I.D. and creationist movements want to inject nonsense into the science education of children.
People don't get in such a twist about astrologers or psychics because they aren't making a concerted nationwide effort to push their pseudo-science into the nation's classrooms by stuffing local and state school board with their proponents.

Because there's a word for someone who's so petty they denounce any opinions that differ from theirs, and the word in question is "asshole".
So anytime any one disagrees with anyone else in a public manner they are an "asshole"?

Furthermore, why can't we all be right?
Because it's impossible.
Because I.D. and evolutionary theory are mutually exclusive. They have mutually exclusive explanations for the development of life. I.D. proposes an intelligence assembling organisms whole with no intermediate steps and evolutions shows that organisms changed over time from numerous intermediate stages.

I personally think that evolution is the best explanation for life on Earth, as there's so much evidence. I also believe that there is an omnipotent, omniscient, but not necessarily kind creature who began the whole process, and choose to call this creature God.
Then you are not a proponent of I.D.
I.D. is not the same of theism. One can be a theist (as you are) and not subscribe to I.D.
So, there is no reason you should take offense at people pointing out the absurdity of I.D.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Mister Linton said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Sorry, I think I hear an individual misinterpreting Darwin. Oh wow, there IS an individual misinterpreting Darwin! :D Not only that, but mistaking Atheism with Evolution with Eugenics!

Atheism =/= Evolution. Evolution =/= Eugenics. You'd know that if you read "Origin of the Species" or any textbook on the matter of Evolution. Ben Stein is not a credible source.
A theistic world view spawned Eugenics? Sir Francis Galton.
You do know that Galton was a bit insane, right? His views were flavored via his own misery in life, where he was unable to have any children. So he misinterpreted Darwin for his own reasons, just as many have before and now. That doesn't excuse his thoughts, but it does explain them a bit.

Tyrany42

Aug 5, 2010
Cliff_m85 said:
Tyrany42 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Jetsetneo said:
hurricanejbb said:
Just an aside, my aunt is religious and she doesn't consider the idea of alien life blasphemous. Rather, she believes that if extraterrestrial life were discovered, it would be further proof of God's majesty. I know this is pretty irrelevant to the topic, but I just felt I should bring up that I don't think all religious people would react to aliens the way Kristen Whig's character does.
Very much so, I'm not a catholic, but even the pope has had some reconciliation with the idea of other intelligent life.

Aliens are 'far' from the 'nail-in-the-coffin' of religon in general that Militant atheists want it to be. Much like evolution in general. Religion tends to roll with the punches, always have, always will, whether its Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, or Scientology.
Woah woah woah. Roll with the punches as in "fight if for a multitude of decades before realizing they lost the battle and readjusting their belief with apologetics and claiming that there was evidence for it in the Bible/Quran/Torah/Etc the whole time"?

You do realize that was a few hundred years ago, right? And that large organizations change over time? Does America still allow slavery, too?
Yes, I do. But it shows the span of time it takes for the Church to get with the program. It just recently accepted Evolution. It took hundreds of years for them to accept that we aren't the center of the universe. It comes late to the party, but stands outside said party screaming "LIAR" for the first four hours before finally coming into the house.
Change hardly ever comes quickly, especially change of beliefs. This applies to everyone, not just close-minded religious leaders. In fact, you could call it a sort of evolution. You might as well rip on humanity for taking so long to walk upright and to stop flinging poo.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Tyrany42 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Tyrany42 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Jetsetneo said:
hurricanejbb said:

Change hardly ever comes quickly, especially change of beliefs. This applies to everyone, not just close-minded religious leaders. In fact, you could call it a sort of evolution. You might as well rip on humanity for taking so long to walk upright and to stop flinging poo.
No, change hardly does come quickly. However having to wait for the 2000s for the Catholic Church to admit that there MIGHT be some truth to Evolution is not feasible. That's not "change hardly ever comes quickly", it's "change is fought against violently by religious institutions until they finally concede because their numbers are dwindling". We're talking about hundreds of years going by before they admit that evolution has some truth to it, duder. And they get their knowledge from a supposed higher source?

Steven True

Jun 5, 2010
FROGGEman2 said:
But that's really close-minded. These people love their beliefs and their God
The degree that somebody loves their beliefs has absolutely nothing to do with whether they are true or not. None.
The Greek gods had devoted followers who loved them. If you met somebody in this day and age who loved and worshiped Zues you wouldn't find that ridiculous? You wouldn't point that out?

and expecting them to change to their views because they're "ridiculous" is exactly the same as expecting someone to give up their racial heritage (after all, these beliefs are largely inherited)
No it is absolutely not. Race is immutable. It cannot be changed. There is nothing anybody can do about it. And even if there was there is no reason to as no race is superior to another.

Ideas are mutable and should be. One's ideas should always be open to review and change based on the best possible evidence.
And some ideas are superior to others. The idea that the Earth moves around the sun and is held in its orbit be gravity is a superior idea to the idea that the sun god pulls the sun across the sky in his charity. One has overwhelming evidence to support it and the other does not.

I find it interesting that religion gets this special pass from any critical examination.
Any other idea or belief system can be subjected to critique: politics, economics, science, philosophy. But as soon as religion enters the picture we can no longer debate, use our reason to discuss if it might actually be true or not. Everybody is supposed to shut-up and suspend all disbelief.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
The degree that somebody loves their beliefs has absolutely nothing to do with whether they are true or not. None.
The Greek gods had devoted followers who loved them. If you met somebody in this day and age who loved and worshiped Zues you wouldn't find that ridiculous? You wouldn't point that out?

and expecting them to change to their views because they're "ridiculous" is exactly the same as expecting someone to give up their racial heritage (after all, these beliefs are largely inherited)
No it is absolutely not. Race is immutable. It cannot be changed. There is nothing anybody can do about it. And even if there was there is no reason to as no race is superior to another.

Ideas are mutable and should be. A person's beliefs should always be open to review and change based on the best possible evidence.
And some ideas are superior to others. The idea that the Earth moves around the sun and is held in its orbit be gravity is a superior idea to the idea that the sun god pulls the sun across the sky in his charity. One has overwhelming evidence to support it and the other does not.
In fact, the latter idea is so baseless that it is ridiculous and should be ridiculed.

The same is true of evolution and I.D. Evolution has overwhelming evidence to support it and I.D. does not. I.D. is just as baseless and in need of ridicule.
Two points:

a) I don't agree with I.D., I disagree with Moviebob's hypocrisy.

b) Objectivism, much. Each person's reality is to their own.

Steven True

Jun 5, 2010
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:

Ideas are mutable and should be. A person's beliefs should always be open to review and change based on the best possible evidence.
In fact, the latter idea is so baseless that it is ridiculous and should be ridiculed.

The same is true of evolution and I.D. Evolution has overwhelming evidence to support it and I.D. does not. I.D. is just as baseless and in need of ridicule.
Two points:

MovieBob has no hypocrisy on this point.
A person's race and beliefs are not all similar.
Making fun of one is nothing like making fun of the other.
I person can have bad beliefs and they can change them.
There is no such thing as a bad race and it can't be changed.

So, none of us share a common reality? That's funny, I could have sworn that the same laws of electrodynamics that run your computer run mine.
I'm sorry but gravity holding the Earth in orbit around the sun is OBJECTIVELY a much better explanation for the apparent movement of the sun across the sky than a sun god.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
RestamSalucard said:
Necromancer1991 said:
All the controversy around intelligent design aside, I want to see this movie, I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Also just to poke at the controversy I'll say that no casual "Screw yous" are necessary, their community has spawned enough stupid to keep me entertained forver....including using THIS as a unofficial mascot:
Lol, image fail. Just so everyone knows, He's talking about [a href="http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/crocoduck"]Crocoduck[/a].
Fixed for you!

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:

Two points:

So, none of us share a common reality? That's funny, I could have sworn that the same laws of electrodynamics that run your computer run mine.
I'm sorry but gravity holding the Earth in orbit around the sun is OBJECTIVELY a much better explanation for the apparent movement of the sun across the sky than a sun god.
This isn't worth arguing over, there's no way you'll ever agree with me.

Steven True

Jun 5, 2010
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:

Two points:

I don't understand why you even tried. Why you would ever try to convince anyone of anything since you believe all realities are personal. How could you ever use reason and evidence from your reality to change the view somebody has of their reality?
Or do you accept that you and I and others can work together to understand the world around us?

Tyrany42

Aug 5, 2010
Cliff_m85 said:
Tyrany42 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Tyrany42 said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Jetsetneo said:
hurricanejbb said:

No, change hardly does come quickly. However having to wait for the 2000s for the Catholic Church to admit that there MIGHT be some truth to Evolution is not feasible. That's not "change hardly ever comes quickly", it's "change is fought against violently by religious institutions until they finally concede because their numbers are dwindling". We're talking about hundreds of years going by before they admit that evolution has some truth to it, duder. And they get their knowledge from a supposed higher source?
I suppose I wouldn't know how Catholics think, as I'm not Catholic myself, but I'm just saying, what if someone came up to you and said your whole exsistance was a lie, that everything you thought was real is an illusion, and they presented some barely feasible evidence that what they're saying is true. Don't pretend that you won't be in denial and don't be quick to scoff at people who have a hard time letting go of beliefs they have held for centuries.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:

Two points:

I don't understand why you even tried. Why you would ever try to convince anyone of anything since you believe all realities are personal. How could you ever use reason and evidence from your reality to change the view somebody has of their reality?
Or do you accept that you and I and others can work together to understand the world around us?
I was actually trying to talk to Moviebob. I don't care what you think.

Steven True

Jun 5, 2010
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:

Two points:

Not true, otherwise you wouldn't have responded, multiple times, and tried to convince me of your position.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Steven True said:
FROGGEman2 said:

Two points:

Not true, otherwise you wouldn't have responded, multiple times, and tried to convince me of your position.
Engaging in discussion but cutting off when it seems futile? Jesus Christ I'm such a weirdo.

Because you need this clear:

1. My original post was for Moviebob
2. I was trying to convince you, or possibly make my position clearer
3. It is possible to explain or convince in a relative world

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
The problem with ID and such discussions is that ID is more a philosophy than a science, even though it's often billed as scientific. The other problem being that scientific arguments usually aren't very convincing.

Also, relativism is lame. Just sayin'.