Escape to the Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Get him to the Greek was a very awesome movie. Hilarious it was a buddy travel picture, Russel Brand wasn't the 'main character' exactly.

and

MUPPETS! YES!

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
I'm going to see it anyway. The wonder that the first three filled me with have earned my attention at least this much. I did guess it wasn't going to be nearly as good because no fourth sequal ESPECIALLY after an already decided trilogy has been good.

It would be a crime to see this movie and affirm their actions.

It would be a bigger crime just to take your word blindly and without question.
no offense

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well I resolved that I was never going to the cinema to see one again since paying money to be metaphorically teabagged by the end of the second movie. I mean seriously, did anyone really give a shit about any of the plot other than in the first movie?

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
My mother is dragging me to see this some time in the next few days. Shame because I doubt I will be able to go see any other movie this summer until she drags me to see Harry Potter. Really wanted to see Thor. Also not thrilled at all about the muppets movie. The muppets terrified me when I was little.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Man this is disappointing. Not that I'm surprised, I just really hoped it wouldn't suck. I didn't even need it to be good, a fun, 2 hour swashbuckling adventure with Jack Sparrow was all I wanted.
At least I won't have to feel bad for not having any money to go see it.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I don't want to be "that guy" but I've had trouble with these since number 2. For all of its flamboyance the first movie was surprisingly toned down, especially when it came to the fantasy elements. Yes I realize the first movie involves a crew of undead pirates but the primary thing about them was the pirates. Movie two comes along and starts throwing fish people at us and this enormous mythology which hadn't existed before.

Sometimes trilogies are great even when they're not planned this way, but you can't have a "triology" which is one successful movie and a twoparter trying to make everything bigger. Take Star Wars for example, each movie has a contained story but they still link together, and each movie is pretty much at the same level - we aren't dealing with a civil war on Tatooine and then BAM movie two reveals this is small part of a larger galactic battle. No, from the very beginning of the very first movie the scope of the conflict is clear.

The first PotC had great pacing, great characters, and a real scope of adventure. But after that it felt the need to one-up itself, as if the original movie hasn't been sufficiently good. So we get bigger villains and crazier locations and wilder stories and . . . the first movie was successful without any of these.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Well, darn... and here I was hoping this film would make up for the kinda lousy 3rd movie.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Considering that the last two sucked balls, I had already guessed that this one would suck balls.

Thanks for the confirmation, Bob.

AwesomeFerret

Apr 28, 2010
AWDMANOUT said:
Please say it's good, please say it's good...

D:

Sucks? But it's a Pirates movie...

I'll still watch it. With no bias. Because I can't imagine a bad Pirates movie.
I'm in the same boat. I thought the first three films were awesome, so I was really looking forward to this.

So, for once, screw you MovieBob! I'm gonna go see this film with my little brother, and I'm going to enjoy it!

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
oh god, my mind is so fucked right now that i closed the window as soon as the L.A. Noire ad ended, thinking that was what i came here to watch.

anyway, i'm gonna attribute this review's excessive negativity to the fact that movie bob watches way too many movies and is no longer able to enjoy a fun popcorn muncher summer blockbuster. i mean, it being over 2 hours long isnt even a real criticism and nothing else he said seems to detract from the fact that this is probably just a movie to watch if you want a good time with friends.

and for the record, i loved chicago.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'd heard many good things about this. Mainly that it's much tighter than Worlds End and not as clusterfucky.

I'm still going to go see it. Why?
Because it's Captain Jack Sparrow!

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
I'll be honest, I have no problems with them making another one.

Pirates of the Caribbean can be a great franchise, and while I don't think for a second they'll ever make a movie as good as the first one was, I'm hopeful that they could at least hand the reins over to somebody with some talent, a vision and a good pirate movie script that can whip up something special.

If we ever get Jack Sparrow in a supporting role again, or even better a brief cameo, that'll be a sign that somebody is thinking things through and realizing formula =/= guaranteed money.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Bob can you summarize the movie's plot and what happens in the end? it may suck but if you don't spoil it i'm still tempted to see it :(

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Eh, I'll still see it. I love me some Captain Jack Sparrow.

Also, why is that I'm suddenly seeing the Godessey referenced everywhere? First, Linkara reviews it, now this.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
MaxFan said:
I'm shocked there was any goodwill left toward this franchise after the second movie, let alone the third.
True. But I doubt the people in charge considered the actual quality of the sequels.

Matthew Wilson said:
A Monkey fighting a helicoptor???

I have no idea what that is but I'm excited.
The Planet of the Apes prequel, I think.

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
Ok...i'm completely convinced MovieBob and i no longer agree at all...he hated both Fast 5 (which i liked), and Pirates (which i loved)...now i'll admit this new Pirates wasn't my fave (mostly cuz i was a fan of Will and Elisabeth, wasn't a huge Jack Sparrow fan), but i did highly enjoy th'movie...also, there's a few plot points that Bob ragged on that makes me think he wasn't really payin' attention:

1) "BLackbeard only has powers when th'story calls for it"...um, no...Blackbeard's powers came from both his sword/it's connection with his ship...he didn't have it towards the end because *gasp* they were on land!

2) "Barbosa seems like a completely different character"...again, um..no...Barbosa had lost his ship/his crew/his leg/ all in one fell swoop thanks to Blackbeard...so he did what any self-respecting pirate would do...work for somebody with more money/available men than he had 'till he got his opportunity to put somethin' sharp and poisoned into the anatomy of Mr. Beard-o-th'black...

3) "Would it surprise you to know that (Penelope Cruz) switches to spanish to show you she's really pissed off"...well, no actually....mostly cuz i saw her do it in the trailer so at least you stayed awake through that one Bob...

Look, th'fact is i thought th'story was wrapped up at the end of the 3rd one and i too was skeptical to see th'4th....but since i have i can honestly say, if you liked the other three y'can't go wrong with this one. Now, if you ONLY liked the other three because of Orlando/Keira than yes, you're gonna be disappointed...but i liked them, and i like this one...so yeah...

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Too bad it didn't turn out to be any good, I was actually wanting to see it, oh well.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I remember Depp saying that "the guy with the vision" (can't remember properly) has quit the team and Depp himself would likely skip the role as he feared it would become a cash in.