Escape to the Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
The Ruler of Nosgoth said:
I just want to say that I am very disappointed in this review. I usually enjoy Bob's reviews, but this one let me down, especially in the way that it seemed from his description of the plot of the first three movies that he'd just read the Wiki page. First off, Will was never the 'Main Character' and Jack Sparrow was, in absolutely no way his 'Wacky Sidekick.'
Jack was always the main character. He's the one who kept the story moving. No fan of this series gives two fucks about Will Turner or Elizabeth Swan. Frankly I was kind of glad they were out of the way in this one. Their Jane Austen-esque plot was finished three quarters of the way through the first film, and yet the writers drug it out for another five hours. Jack was the reason the series continued. The whole Davy-Jones plot that spanned Dead Man's Chest and At World's End were all about Jack. And it was good. The character was well-developed and likable, even if he was a complete idiot.
Stranger Tides is not shocking anyone by being a 'Jack Sparrow Movie.' The series has been all about him. And I doubt this was just a cheap attempt to bring in more cash. It's a very well done series and it's garnered millions of fans. I also doubt Johnny Depp or Geoffery Rush would participate in a film being done just to squeeze money out of a franchise. He seems to have more respect for his craft than that.
Perhaps the direction was a little less than on par, but how could it not be after Verbinski left? One film not up to standards in a series is no reason to give up on the series as a whole. Just look at Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
55 million dollars is a lot of money to make you not give a shit about what kind of product you are supporting. So yeah, I don't think Johnny Deep gives a crap about artistic integrity. When did he become that type of actor? never thats when. And I like the guy, but that doesnt magicly make him something you seem to be assuming he is.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
I didn't think it was too bad, though I went in expecting it to be a massive drop from the 3rd, it wasn't, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Then they killed Cullen.
Bastards.

(I mean they just did it for effect too!)

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I remember seeing a cardboard movie poster-thing for this and thought, "ANOTHER ONE?"
Why is it so often the fourth installment that brings a series to its downfall? It's happened with Silent Hill (The Room... is the only interesting thing), Indiana Jones (and the Crystal Tangent), and Sonic the Hedgehog (CD or 3D).

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Saw it yesterday in 3D, i found it to be alright though not 3D worthy even though it was well made. i was glad that the two from the previous film wern't in as they annoyed the hell out of me.

p.s
also the reason for the priest is that he was on a ship that blackbeard attacked, his daughter doesn't want blackbeard to kill him since killing a man of God would be a one way ticket to hell. thats why hes left alone.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Hmmm, probably not gonna see it.

But really Bob, you're defending the unbearable length of that asinine pile of dross that was At World's End? The whole "internal mythology" was why it was so bad. They set all that unnecessary shit about pirate kings and sea goddesses up and tried to solve it during the course of one movie. That's not good filmmaking.

And I have to mention that I was appalled by the fact that you thought Sucker Punch was going to get compared to Inception (which you pretty much did). If I remember correctly, SPunch was the one which was marketed with "OOOMGMGMGMGGMGMGMLOLROFLMAO DRAGONS HOT CHICCKSZZZZ SWORDS NAZI ZOMBIES MECHS GATLING GUNS SAMURAIS" instead of "Wait, we're in a dream? Or are we? What's going on? What's with the freaky physics?"

And while I've gotten this bash-train on the go, I'll say that I wouldn't remember seeing Splice at all had you not praised it to death. It was one of the most forgettable movies I've ever seen. Oh, and Inglourious Basterds still sucks balls.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Liked the first, disliked the second, didn't bother with the third, never even considered this one. Your review is pretty much what I expected to hear.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
sergnb said:
tehweave said:
"This movie sucked."

It's the 4th one. No film series (EVER) has lasting appeal after a 4th one came out.
Ever.
star waaah...
star treeh...
resident e...
James booh...
Aliee...
indiana joo...
die haaa..
rock...
harry poo....
highlannn....
Lethal weaah...

Goddamnit.

Wait.

AHA!
doesn't really count since the a reboot pretty much restarts the counter.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I actually thought Jack was the main character in the Pirates Trilogy, Legolas being the supporting character.

The reason that I say Legolas is because Orlando Bloom has little acting talent and seems to play THE SAME CHARACTER in every movie he has ever done. I'm sure he's a nice guy but as an actor his characters seem to have about as much depth as a piece of soggy corrugated cardboard.

I'll agree the director was a poor choice but it seems as if Bob has some issues with Johnny Depp rather than with Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.

Also I have spanish friends who speak english as a second language. Do you know what they do when they're super pissed? They start yelling in spanish. So I don't understand why he's upset that characters are doing what people of that ethnicity seem to do.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I wonder if this is the start of a second trilogy. It wouldnt surprise me if it makes money they aren't going to stop. Unless Depp decides enough is a enough I guess...still tho, knowing disney they'd keep it going.

Reshkar

"Face to Face"
May 18, 2010
Sure the movie had some plot-holes, lack of action and a linear story. But hey, it got Jack Sparrow..

I still think Dead Man's Chest and At World's End are better(due to better characters *Davy Jones* and story, except for Calypso)

hippobu

Sep 23, 2010
Haven't seen it yet, I kind of considering seeing it, but, here is the thing.

- First movie, the antagonist was a group of people sought the power of the devil.
- Second movie, the antagonist was the devil.
- Third movie, the antagonist was a man who control the devil.

The antagonist is half of what make a movie interesting, how exactly are they going to make a better antagonist than the third movie? I kind of expect it to fail, though I'm still curious. Is it really that bad?

Gotterdammerung

Jan 13, 2011
Well, I've seen it, and it's OK. I wouldn't see it a second time, but I enjoyed it. It's the snore-fest MovieBob makes it out to be, and it's a pleasant way to waste 2 hours. If you've got nothing better to do, you might as well check it out.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
First movie sucked. Pirates are stupid. British sailors are boring. Undead skeleton pirates would be cool, but they spend the first hour avoiding them as if it was supposed to be some big cool reveal later in the movie.

Second film was slightly better as they didn't waste a bunch of time getting to the Davey Jones stuff. Still over-long and incomprehensible to boot.

Third film I turned off after the first 20 minutes revealed an even more stupid plot with everyone double and triple crossing everyone else.

I won't bother with this obvious cash grab. What they should do is edit the best action scenes of the first three films into a single 120 minute movie strung together with a shoestring plot. It would be everything the first should have been, with less of the inane filler.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
AWDMANOUT said:
I'll still watch it. With no bias. Because I can't imagine a bad Pirates movie.
You must not have seen the first three, then.

As usual, I find more to comment on the little things Bob slips into the credits: I fail to see how another Muppet movie could be considered a good thing. I had purchase the Muppet Show on DVD and it had aged so poorly I have already gotten rid of it. It was terrible, but there were some gems in there thanks to Jim Henson's twisted sense of humor. However, Jim Henson is still dead and the Muppets have not been worth two shits on a roadkill sandwich ever since. Has no one learned from Muppets From Space? Just abandon them. They have already abandoned you.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
you know for once i have to disagree with bob on this one and i honestly hate to say that. i liked seeing jack in the front spot. i didnt like bloom or knightly in the first movie and it turned me off of the rest of the series. the only reason i saw this one was bacause my friend bought tickets for the midnight showing and i never turn down a free movie. i just enjoyed the ride and felt glad it did. the only complaint i had, something im surprised you didnt touch on was the horrible and pointless 3d. i gave the movie an A- i liked and i wouldnt mind seeing it again

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
I've seen this movie when it premiered and I must say that although Iagree with almost all of the points you have made (I can't deny the truth, I still think that it is one of the best movies I've seen.

yes- Jack became a main character and had to start doing boring stuff, but the boring stuff he did was nearly always done in an hilarious way, even the dialouges that could have been dull were givven a touch to make them bearable (*spoiler-like when he says eh has feelings for Angelica, they don't make it boring, they added something funy in it to keep it funny)

yes- Blackbeard has unexplained powers matching Davy Jones, but what would be the alternative? having the major bad guy just be a very strong normal guy with a sowrd in an action-fantasy movie? he is the main villian, they needed to keep it interesting, thats why they choose one of the most noturious pirates known and remade him.

yes- jack's relationship with Angelica is also kept in the darkness, but I thought you wanted to avoid boring boring hero dialouge. They made it mysterious and interesting and almost always-funny (spoiler- like when she asked "what were you even doing in a spanish monastry?" and he answered-"I mistoke it for a brithel, honest mistake." I don't know about other people, but it kept me interested and laughing-never bored.

yes- they pretend that all the other movies never exicted, but not entirely, they give the bit of needed information neceserry to help the viewer know what happened, but make way to make a new story-is that a bad thing? to clear the way for a fresh story.

yes- a lot of the movie is about fetch quests- but what would be the alternative? they sail to an island, walk a copel miles, find the fountain and become immortal? that would suck, right? and thw fetch quests aren't as bad as they sound-(*spoiler-the mermaid quest was amazing both in the presentation, execution, graphics, setting, music and acting and the mermaids felt like actual mermaids(they gave me the freaks))

no- I disagree with you about the fotage, I think it was amazing, but maybe that just my opinion. I loved especially the fottage in the chase in London.

yes- the priest's character was...well-stupid

all in all I think this is a great movie, the best POTC yet (to my opinion) and I highly recommend it

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
karloss01 said:
sergnb said:
tehweave said:
"This movie sucked."

It's the 4th one. No film series (EVER) has lasting appeal after a 4th one came out.
Ever.
star waaah...
star treeh...
resident e...
James booh...
Aliee...
indiana joo...
die haaa..
rock...
harry poo....
highlannn....
Lethal weaah...

Goddamnit.

Wait.

AHA!
doesn't really count since the a reboot pretty much restarts the counter.
He is onto us... RUN!

Violi

Jul 29, 2010
Ive gotta completely disagree with you on this one MovieBob. I respect your opinions and understand where you're coming from in this, but exchanging Elizabeth and Will with Jack as the main character wasn't really a bad call in my opinion. I don't know about you, but I was absolutely done with Elizabeth and Will by the end of the third movie, and while they play the "Serious Characters" They are by far the most frustratingly retarded part of the second two movies.
And what's wrong with giving the "Livewire" character a serious role? Sure he pulled a little less of that zany stuff he used to do, but hes growing as a character, and to be honest he kind of needed to. Also his demeanor in this one was far better than the second and third movies where it was completely obvious that they were writing Jacks quirks into it on top of repeating and killing the same jokes over and over. Also, Barbosa may have acted quite differently, but that's not to say that he was a bad addition. Admittedly I do miss the crazy and sinister Barbosa, but I do like this determined and cutthroat Barbosa quite a bit as well.
I'm also not sure where you're getting the idea that the action was at all boring, the only thing I can place really is Jacks first fight with "the imposter" In that it seemed very much like a rehashing of the very first fight between him and Will. There were a couple of other good fights and a decent chase scene in the beginning of course.
Look I'm not saying this is a great movie by any means, it had plenty of flaws, which you pointed out of course ie: Blackbeard forgetting about his powers until needed for the plot, random priesty falling in love with the mermaid, Spanish religiousness against pagan rituals, Penelope Cruz, etc. But that's not to say it was a "Bad" movie, its more just an "OK" movie, or depending on the person a "Good" movie. Its at least an entertaining movie, which is more than I can say for the last two. And while you felt the movie dragged on, I didn't even notice the time fly by.
Still looking forward to your next review

-Violi