Escape to the Movies: Public Enemies

OnTheRocks

Feb 22, 2009
jabrwock said:
carnkhan4 said:
what is it that attracts film-makers to this sub-genre ever since it first emerged in the '40's?
It's the "bad ass but still classy bad guy" type thing. 1930's gangsters were high-profile playboys, businessmen, they enjoyed fine art, built mansions, and generally acted like they were high society. Unlike most other robbers that blow it all on booze and drugs and burn out, these guys lived the high life. I mean, imagine being robbed by a guy in a suit and tie, who tips his hat to the women on the way out?
Yes and no.

The appeal of American gangster on film is very complex, and goes far beyond the (mostly imagined) high-class Robin Hood complex.

Gangster movies are largely movies about the American dream.
Gangster movies are traditionally about poor men who become rich through hard work (even if it's illegitimate wealth). These characters are usually oppressed outsiders, often immigrants, who do all they can to rise to the top. This dynamic appeals to Americans, who are often raised on the idea that through hard work they can achieve anything, yet find that in real life it's a much more tricky prospect. Gangsters are fantasy figures that make it big on their own merits.

Gangsters are figures who are in a unique place to comment on society.
As figures outside the mainstream, meaning people who cheat the system instead of playing along, gangsters can comment on the cracks in society. The Godfather is about generational gaps, redefining family and the changing place of immigrants in the '70s. Scarface commented on the excess of the 1980s. The Departed mirrors the feelings of guilt and distrust America has gone through after 9/11 and the war in Iraq. (Think about it--wiretapping, informants, secret agents, unfeeling government handlers, etc.) However, at the end of this critique of society, most gangster films can end with cultural norms reasserting themselves by the gangster either dying or losing what's important to him. Thus the gangster is a character who can critique the failures of the system but still reassert its importance in the end with the message that fighting society isn't a good idea.

Gangster films are a valve for venting frustration.
There's a reason that many of the eras I mentioned in the last section were periods of dissatisfaction and uncertainty. The '40s, '50s and '90's weren't great times for gangster movies (movies with gangsters as the protagonists) but the '60s, '70s, '80s and this decade have seen gangster-driven movies flourish. Organized crime figures are inherently populist characters fighting the system, the "little man" who's refusing to get ground down, and has the bravery to stand up and live like a person rather than a part of a machine. The inherent hypocrisy of this, that the ordinary man is most often the victim of organized crime, is usually sidestepped by filmmakers in favor of striking blows against perceived symbols of establishment corruption like money-laden banks, crooked politicians, dirty cops and less savory criminals such as drug dealers and pimps. These films especially flourish during bad economic times, since the average viewer can vicariously live out the fantasy of walking into a bank and taking all the money he wants rather than worrying about layoffs, shortened budgets and unpaid bills. There's a reason gangsters became popular heroes during the depression, and with the economy like it is, I'm sure moviegoers will get a deep satisfaction from watching Dillinger clean out the vaults. If Public Enemies is a success, watch for more anti-bank gangster films. There's already a strain of this in Hollywood-- look at The International and Drag Me To Hell.

I'm going to stop here, but I've only scratched the surface on the place of the gangster in the American psyche. Part of it comes from being a young nation who doesn't have many age-old folk heroes like Europe, so we tend to "kidnap" historical figures like David Crockett, Wild Bill Hickock and even less savory characters like Al Capone, and elevate them to folk-hero status as representatives of American virtue and vice.

Even so, the perception of criminals as anti-establishment heroes goes way, way back and is by no means an American invention. During hanging days in 18th century London, well-wishers filled the streets, throwing flowers to the condemned and buying them drinks, and the reasons they did that were the same ones listed above.

On another note, good job MovieBob, liked this one much more.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
I completely agreed with everything this guy said about this movie! I really enjoyed it, go watch it

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
You know Bob, you're a strange one.

For the most part, I think we have a very very similar taste in films. You can talk about a movie the same way I would to my family and friends, and can appreciate a film for more then the FX and headlining actors and actresses that seem to sell more of the tickets then the actual film itself.

But then you have an unbridled hate for other movies that I simply label as 'kick back' flicks where you just watch to see shit blow up, regardless of acting ability, story, or cliche.

I suppose we all have our certain 'twitches' for films that guarantee our love or hate of a movie (or series) based on one simple fact, actor, or director (For me, it's Ben Affleck. I refuse to watch anything with him in it). So here is a decent review and recommendation for a movie that I've been looking forward to, not too long after you utterly smash a movie I was also looking forward to as one of those 'kick back' flicks (And I still, politely, disagree).

So you're weird. That's just the way it is.

Also: Get a new mic, man! And stop recording in the bathroom! Throw some blankets on the wall or something and get a better mic! Put down the eighth-inch jack mic and go get a nice XLR mic with a little mixer board, or a USB mic! The sound quality drives me crazy!

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Just watched it, and it is very good. Some of the dialogue was very quiet and at one piont I didnt recognise half the characters but the shoot outs are frigging awesome and Depp and Bale are well cast.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Well... I'm curious. I was before, but now that I've heard someone's opinion, I'm moreso now. I might be seeing a movie with a friend tonight, and she wanted to drag me to Drag Me To Hell, but I'm assuming that it's not in theaters anymore... correct me if I'm wrong, please.

But I might convince her to see this.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
patch5129 said:
This is a GOOD thing. Without fresh blood with new ideas, the franchises become boring and repetitive.
As Kirk said to Scotty (ST3) "Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant."
I'd rather see young minds working with FRESH IDEAS and new franchises, instead of recycling old, beloved franchises. We should not have to tolerate crap, if Bob thinks the movies sucked then so be it, doesn't mean you have to agree with him. But from what I've seen I can testify that two of them really did suck (I fell asleep during Star Trek, wish I had fallen asleep during Transformers)

And just to make sure I'm understood here, I am REALLY REALLY HAPPY about MovieBob fridays - finally, someone to try and fill the void left by Ebert/Roeper/Phillips. MovieBob isn't of their caliber (yet) but he's much much closer than the Bens... I'd like to see Movie Bob and Ben Lyons in a fist fight, or anyone vs. Ben Lyons honestly.

vacuumbrand

Apr 1, 2009
IMO, this movie totally blew. No, the shots aren't "interesting" or "innovative"; the movie looked like a shot-for-history-channel-reenactment-PBS-special. It was horrible. And they could have condensed the first hour of the film into 5-10 minutes. My advice: wait until it comes out on dvd and rent it first or just skip it.

vacuumbrand

Apr 1, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Well... I'm curious. I was before, but now that I've heard someone's opinion, I'm moreso now. I might be seeing a movie with a friend tonight, and she wanted to drag me to Drag Me To Hell, but I'm assuming that it's not in theaters anymore... correct me if I'm wrong, please.

But I might convince her to see this.
Drag Me To Hell is still in theaters, I think, but it wasn't that great. Neither was this movie, though. Go see Up.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Scourch said:
I have to disagree with Bob on this one. The decision to shoot on digital was a bad one. It works on certain shots, the scene being light by a flare comes to mind. It would have been virtually impossible to shoot that scene with merely a flare if it was shot on film. But for other, more intimate scenes, the high frame rate and the hand held camera work make the film look like an amateur movie. Early in the scene in which Dillinger first meets his girl, he speaks to one of his cohorts, the color temperature changes from shot to shot despite it being played as the same light source. I can't help but think that Public Enemies would have looked better with at least a steady cam and shot at 48fps (or as close to it as the camera could get to).

The sound levels were all over the place too. Admittedly this could have been a problem from the theater I went to (rather likely seeing as how there was a small piece of trash on the gate of the projector through the entire thing). Voices would go up and down mid sentence. One scene had a clearly audible air conditioner running in the background.

It could have been that I was too distracted by these admittedly forgettable mistakes to really enjoy the movie. But the nail that seals the Public Enemies' coffin was that I didn't care about any of the characters. I didn't care for Dillinger who seemed to force himself onto Billie it what can only be described as 'rape' with out the sex. I did not care for Christian Bale's character whose name I didn't even bother to remember because he was such a small player in the movie. The only fun I had were the scenes in which Dillinger temps fate by walking into the office of the very police force that is chasing him and asks for the score of the baseball game.
This times ten. I couldn't agree more. My biggest gripe is the hand-held camera shots. Half the time I had to look away because the camera was so shaky. My second gripe is the audio quality. As stated above, it did jump up and down in quality mid-sentence.

The pacing in the movie was abysmal as well. I know you can't drag it out, but god damn, the time it took for Billie to get in bed with John was ridiculous. I just didn't care enough for any of the characters aside from Dilinger's partner in crime, whose name escapes me right now. The one that told him to let go. I'm definitely letting go of this movie, thats for sure.

Also...the part where he walks into the police station was just dumb. I know what they were trying to get at, and I don't know if he really did it or not, but it was just so silly.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I think Moviebob's standards were just dropped so dangerously low that the next movie that was at least somewhat decent would be amazing in his eyes.

vid20

Feb 12, 2008
Chipperz said:
You know something? I stopped watching the second I knew this was going to be another Transformers fanboy bitchfest. Get the fuck over it!
You probably SHOULD have watched the review so you didn't make such an ignorant statement. He mentions it maybe twice in the review and it serves the purpose of tieing together good ideas and bad ideas. It is a legitimate review strategy used by most critics.
xmetatr0nx said:
Ugh i got sucked into another movie bob review...

Ok no this wasnt better, even slightly, than untouchables and the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44, sadly they arent ever put on film because of their unpleasant backgrounds.
He didn't say better gun, he said iconic. And yes, the Thompson is iconic with gangsters. The MP-40 wasn?t in production until after this film is set (And the 44 even later again.) And it?s a gun of German manufacture, so therefore there is no reason for it to be in an American gangster film. There lack of being present in a film like this has nothing to do with the fact that they where designed by the Nazi?s. Your inane statement is ridiculous and I?m sorry but when I read it I had to rebut it.

Back on topic; excited to see this movie now. Thanks for the heads up moviebob you never lead me astray.

Im just sad I live in Aus and we STILL haven?t got ?UP? playing in cinemas down here :?(

atv_chic_18

Feb 15, 2009
So it seems several are complaining about the hand held versus this or that and other things. The thing that I think some people don't get with this movie is that they go into it with this what I call after being in a film class a modernized Hollywood technique. People go into the movie thinking "Oh yes, this movie is going to be like tons of high quality shots, graphics,etc". WRONG my friend.

This movie it was obvious that Hollywood took a good turn (in my opinion) to take it towards the documentary type perspective. I saw some complaints on this but it was done this way intentionally. It's not an ACTUAL full fledged gangster movie like some think. John Dillinger wasn't actually a gangster. If you are thinking gangster like Mafia hit men and the capos, you're wrong. Dillinger was a bank robber. Bank robber and Gangster are two entirely different things. Yes, they both occurred in the 40s, yes there were subtle small flaws to this movie. What movie doesn't have a goof or a flaw or something in it?

I personally loved this movie because it brought back the old Hollywood cinematic feeling. Dark shots, very little special effects...

I gotta agree with Vid20 too, the gun has nothing to do with the Nazi's. Sure the war was going on but so was the depression, so was the Mafia, so was bank robbers. The 40s doesn't just include a World War.

Dillinger was not by any means whatsoever a great guy. His friends, and lover was the only thing he cared for. However he did respect the people because they respected him. Another thing that some of you aren't seeing is that in the 40s a lot of Mafia/Capos/even bank robbers had women literally throwing themselves at them. It wasn't just the women, and if you know the story of Dillinger then you know he literally had the public on his side hiding him.

Further more when he was killed in real life, people were rioting in the streets over it, and trying to get as close to the action as they could. Bank robbers in the 40s though they were hated by the Feds/Cops, a lot of people respected them because they ran the towns. They brought in stores, tourists, etc.

As I said, if you don't like anything but overly done special effects in a movie then sure you'll hate this movie. Don't waste your time. However if you know the story of Dillinger, like old Hollywood style movies, you should check it out. I'm not guaranteeing you'll like it but I personally think Johnny and Marione did amazing jobs. Personal opinion.. I could go on and on about the movie actually and still not spoil the movie.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
Damn don't know why I watched it..

Not that there's anything wrong with 'Movie Bob', I just don't like the idea of reading film reviews. I prefer to know very little about a film before I watch it otherwise I wont enjoy it.

deedee03

Jul 7, 2009
this movie looks awsome-i cant wait to watch it - hope its as awsome as it looks in the previews

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Typically, I HATE shaky-cam for the most part. But Michael Mann knows how to use it sparringly and in this case it's a good "shorthand" way to give us a sense that we're in the "present of the past" rather than watching a flipbook of old photos like most movies set in this era.

Feb 13, 2008
Kikosemmek said:
What was good about the movie:

Production - I felt like I was in the 1930's. Thoroughly appreciated the care that went into the costumes, accents, detail and setting.

Sound Design - I've never heard guns sound so good in a movie before. The shootout in the forest sounded like it was happening two rows down from my seat.

Dialogue - The characters, especially Johnny Depp's, were clever and sharp in speech. They all did a great job with their accents, which beefed up and romanticized everything they said. The court scene with Dillinger's Lawyer had a great monologue.

---

Conclusion: crap. Avoid this movie.
Uh...on that alone it's a good movie. If there's anything else it already beats half of this year's turkeys.

theeman2000

Feb 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Kikosemmek said:
What was good about the movie:

Production - I felt like I was in the 1930's. Thoroughly appreciated the care that went into the costumes, accents, detail and setting.

Sound Design - I've never heard guns sound so good in a movie before. The shootout in the forest sounded like it was happening two rows down from my seat.

Dialogue - The characters, especially Johnny Depp's, were clever and sharp in speech. They all did a great job with their accents, which beefed up and romanticized everything they said. The court scene with Dillinger's Lawyer had a great monologue.

---

Conclusion: crap. Avoid this movie.
Uh...on that alone it's a good movie. If there's anything else it already beats half of this year's turkeys.
i love sarcasm. :]

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I didn't hate it, and I didn't love it. If I had to give the thing a rating I'd say 2/5. It feels too fast paced at times and hard to tell who's who at some points in the film. Another thing about it that bugged me is that everything object around them seemed to be too shiny despite it being set during The Great Depression.

Guestowel

Oct 9, 2008
I thought this movie was not that good. I was annoyed that the camera shots would switch from being slightly grainy to pristine in the same scene. Good choices for sites to film on, but I saw credit card stickers on some of the store fronts. All in all, I think it is just a generic action film.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
That it is better than other movies doesn't make it good to watch, in my opinion. If there simply aren't that many good films around right now, a better thing to do would be to not go to the movies.

The situation isn't that dire, though. Up, Drag Me to Hell and The Hangover are great movies to watch, and coming out soon are District 9, Funny People, 9, and Inglorious Basterds, all of which are exciting prospects to me.