Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Firstly, I love that there was a massive Resident Evil trailer before the video trying to make it look awesome, before you undermine it by saying it's just O.K.

Secondly, yeah, that's my 3D opinion summed up pretty well, it is nothing more than a gimmick so it's never going to hurt cinema in the long run, and you can always just watch it in 2-D.

Besides that, I never got past half way through the first one so this isn't top priority for me, maybe when it's on DVD I'll take a looksey.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
MovieBob and myself agree on something? I suppose the end is indeed nigh. At least I'm not the only one who likes Metroid: Other M far more than the Prime games.

Anyway, the review was solid. I actually found the first movie to be somewhat decent and the second to be so bad it's awful, but we reach consensus on the third, which was an okay action flick. But the quality of a review is not determined by whether or not the viewer agrees, obviously, and as stated, this was a solid review.

I do have one complaint, though. That voice effect used in the "Check Out My Hot Wife" bit was pretty lame, as was the effect in the last review when saying, "That's not a rope." Please cut that out.

Apr 28, 2008
I do have a good reason to hate 3D. I can't see it thanks to my left eye, it makes me sick, and it costs more. I'm paying more for a worse experience, damn right I'll be angry!

May 17, 2010
Will I see it? I doubt it.

I will never understand people thinking that Mila is hot, she always looked like a skinny twelve year old boy to me.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Meh, I don't care how many people say it is bad, I like them and still planning on going to see it tonight... at least he said it isn't worse than the others, so probably still good in my eyes.
Same here, they are far from works of art but I have fun watching them and I plan on seeing this one as well. :D

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Master Chibi said:
I was actually thinking of doing that this weekend.

I mean are they really THAT bad?

The Wesker stuff looks pretty cool.
Don't fool yourself into having hopes of any kind when sitting down for an RE movie, let alone enjoying a character you like. I made that mistake with RE2: Apoc. Jill is my girl, and the whole movie is full of Jill failure. In RE3, the movie is full of Clair failure. Also, a touch of Wesker failure. Wesker doesn't do much other than be there for the camera, but still manages to screw that up.

Bob was spot on when he said that this movie really is the director showing off his hot wife. Everything "Alice" (Millas character) does steals the spotlight from another character, and makes her look more badass. By the end of this movie, I would be surprised if Milla wasn't greater than the world, at this point.

So, you'd be doing yourself a favor, a service even, if you had zero expectations or hopes when sitting down for any RE movie.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
Ultraviolet "kinda sucked"?! Wow, what an understatement. It's propably the worst movie I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't have watched it if I didn't know there was going to be Milla in leather pants.

It also sucks that Jill Valentine wasn't in the third RE movie. She (Sienna Guillory) was super hot in the second movie. ...[/horny comments]

The trailer to this movie looked more like Matrix than anything having to do with Resident Evil. And as I've stated before, the Umbrella Corporation is such a ridiculous villain. It's like they're being evil for the sake of being evil.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I enjoyed the others, but that was because I either had friends with me (which means I switched from "Taking this seriously" to "Unskippable/MST3K commentary" mode), so I doubt I'll be seeing this in theaters (though I might still rent it when it comes out on DVDs). I would say that the series has flashes of brillance at points (there was a reason the laser hallway came back in the third movie), but keeps falling over itself before it can be good.
Bit disappointed that they keep up the "Umbrella Bad!" twists, when its very obvious that what would make for a better twist in the brand itself would be to have them be the good guys for once (of course this would require a lot of creativity to make work right).

However, one of the biggest problems for this brand is that not only has it gone on too long for a horror series, but it's pretty much explored most of its secrets in both plot and enemies. Most everyone on this site can recite plent zombie rules (about zombies themselves and how to survive) by heart, meaning they really aren't that strange anymore (unless you bring back voodoo zombies that may or may not look completely normal). As for the Plagas (since I saw them in the clips), it only took us one game before we had explored them as well, since the Ganados/Majini were just zombies but infected by a parasite rather than a virus (though in 4, they also had the benefit of variety, unlike in 5 where it was almost always zombies and rather than them and a blend of special enemies that barely resembled a human anymore).

Anyways, nice review, Bob, and thanks for the information.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I like my high horse. There are many like it but this one is MINE!

I only ever saw the first Resident Evil movie and I thought it was shit. Not because the story was bad, but because there was no Raccoon City, no Leon or Claire or Ada, but worst of all no William Birkin!

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
He says the 3D won't make the film worse but I still notice no less than three scenes where characters dramatically throw thing directly at the camera in slow motion, and that's just in the trailer.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Firia said:
LightspeedJack said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
ghii3 said:
FIRST!!!!
BANNED!!!
He got banned for saying "First"? Wow...
He'll get/he got banned for;

1) Commenting between the time the video was posted, and before the duration of the video has had a chance to finish. Example; if a video is 3 minutes long, and he comments 1 minute after the video is posted, he has not actually seen the video. Yahtzee holds the biggest ban hammer for this, and others sometimes follow suit.

2) Yes, saying "first." The forums are not a game. Commenting first, and not having any discussion value is not accepted here. It's really a stupid game to play. No one cares if you're the first person to post in a forum. It does not make a person superiour. Around here, you're a good first poster if what you say carries discussion value.

3) He probably didn't/won't get "banned," exactly. Likely, probation. Unless that was his 3rd offense bringing mod wrath.
Oh OK I didn't realise that first part. I just thought it was harsh as he did actually add some discussion but that seems deserved now.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I've only seen one movie in 3d, that was Toy Story 3. The 3d didnt seem to do much other than add some depth, it wasnt the 3d I remember from the IMAX movies I saw when we had one of those here.

Nothing was popping off the screen, they just looked, further into it. By "real avatar 3d" does Bob mean there will be stuff flying "off" the screen?

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
diddykonger said:
$50 that the character reveal is Leon
you cheeky ninja.

But yea, my girlfriend plans to go see it, and she has a preety good sense on movies, so im going to save the cash untel she goes and sees it to let me know how it is.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
I'm surprised to see Bob actually endorsing a game that does its best to undermine one of the strongest female leads in gaming. I won't say that Metroid Prime was Perfect but it was really fuckin good, giving you plenty of exploration, Puzzle solving, combat, and good back ground, and all of it pretty well balanced.

Anyway, I find that the first Resident Evil was the Best to me, it at least tried to be a little scary and it was good to see it as an off shoot rather than an adaptation. With the next few ones having characters in name only just there to be Alice's cheerleaders and pathetic attempts at "comedy" I'll take the first one above the others any time.

polygon

Jan 28, 2009
I really hope you have some sensible argument for claiming Other M is even worthwhile, let alone better than the Prime series. The story is a Phantom Menace-esque mess of annoying characters doing things that make no sense and the gameplay runs completely contrary to the Metroid series in favor of railroading the fuck out of you.

Master Chibi

Aug 27, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
I've only seen one movie in 3d, that was Toy Story 3. The 3d didnt seem to do much other than add some depth, it wasnt the 3d I remember from the IMAX movies I saw when we had one of those here.

Nothing was popping off the screen, they just looked, further into it. By "real avatar 3d" does Bob mean there will be stuff flying "off" the screen?
It means that the film was created from the ground up in 3D, not just filmed entirely and then given a 3D overlay so to speak. It's not so much stuff flying 'off' the screen (which this film seems to do anyway) as it is using it with their setting, the cinematography, and so on.

:p

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
I want to see because Albert Wesker is in it.

He's fucking awesome. Plus it looks like they took the enemies from the games. We just need Dr. Salvator and it will be a good movie.