Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
The Ambrosian said:
It annoys me because if they have nothing to do with RE just don't call it RE...
Why does it matter? If they had named it something else people would just call it a RE knockoff because of the similar characters, the similar corporation ruling the world (even if they called it something else) and the similar characters and monsters..

Personally I like both the Resident Evil movies and games, and while they have little to do with each other besides the basic story, I think they compliment each other well.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
As I thought, mostly just nit-picking, I sorta liked the RE movies (Better than the HotD movies), yes the first one was kinda boring but each one has gotten better as Moviebob said, about the whole "It has nothing to do with Resident Evil!" argument I have one counter Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Space Marines vs Alien Ghosts), at least the RE movies try to behave like their namesake!

Antidrall

Mar 16, 2010
I went and saw it. since We are forever cursed to not curse on these forums though I am most likely unable to properly convey my opinion of it. but I will try:...THIS...IS THE WORST DAMN MOVIE I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME. I mean I hated Avatar because it promised something new but came up with dances with samurai 2: simba's pride. But I moved on from that. Yes. I got over it and went on with my life. Recently I saw the best damn movie I have seen in a while (Scott Pilgrim). from what I've read of my brother's comics. it's a good bunch of comics (O'Malley seems to try and shove down our throat that it's a graphic novel) but it was masterfully adapted by Edgar Wright. I walked out of that theatre and walked back in to see it 2 more times. This resident Evil movie is an absolute travesty. The Scott Pilgrim of bad movies this year. It's been a long time since I have played the games, but even I know that these movies have nothing to do with it. lets face it, much like Micheal bay, Paul WS. Anderson is wrong for the material. He is playing it safe with the rating, changes the story almost worse than Uwe Boll, and seems absolutely intent on pissing off the fans. lets look at the first film shall we? Supposedly "based" on the first game, it does not feature Jill Valentine, the mansion, Chris Redfield or any of the mutated zombies other than lickers which I don't even remember from that game. Michelle Rodriguez was casted as the "kill my later" zombie character, and just the fact that she kept telling them to kill her and drop "oh so subtle" I'm turning hints, made you want them to just pull the trigger on her already. Ok, the second one I'll admit was probably the best one out of them all...But that's not saying much. It's still poorly written, covered with pointless characters and, oh! Jill Valentine! you're here! maybe- no, you're just a hardass cop who got pushed the wrong way. Well, that's all the goddamn characters from the games other than Nemesis. And that rubber skinned desecration is actually some guy from the first movie who got genetic morphed or something. Now the third one is the one that really dropped whatever ball that they had. Why? They casted Ali Larter from Heroes. The super strength multi personality'd crazy woman. I don't know why but she just can not sell me as Claire Redfield. I just really can't see Claire as the leader of a convoy, I don't know why. This is the point where they obviously just threw the whole "adaptation" idea out the conveniently placed window. Why they bothered continuing makes my want to claw out Paul's brain. The next movie (when I saw the trailer) I almost went into shock. Why? Why would Paul do this? The trailer was all I needed to see yet I tortured myself with the movie. He seems intent on missing the entire survival horror idea of the games by giving characters godamned kung fu abilities. granted that worked in RE 4 and on, but it's entirely unnecessary here. It could've just been George A. Romero worship as some people strangely call it. But no! He just wants to shift it to his whim. The only reason that he could possibly continue making these movies, is that he is a fan, but he seems to not have any idea how to make a movie based on them. But we have no say in the matter. any pettition wil be ignored, any dying cancer child's request will be answered but not built up to snuff. so in my own words: F**k it.

Jul 22, 2009
These films are in no way masterpieces.

But they make for a good hour and a half of crazy nonsensical zombie fighting.

I quite enjoyed the first 3. Screw the story and character development. Just let the good times flow.

Also Wesker looks badass in this one.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I'm staying optimistic...
Leon as the secret character would be awesome although in this twisted Alice run universe he is dead...although:
At the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con International, Anderson and Jeremy Bolt told ShockTilYouDrop.com that a fifth Resident Evil film would be possible, saying, "We always take it one movie at a time. We put so much effort into them and it is a family affair. It is all about making the best possible movie now and then promoting well and getting it out there. Making sure it is seen in the right way. When the dust settles then you think about something else. For us, it is not a business, it is a passion. You don't want to start talking about the next baby until you make sure this one is okay." [41] Anderson later told IGN that if the film is a success, he will do the fifth film and would like Leon Kennedy to make an appearance
The best RE film is Degeneration.
Though IMBD did give this one 4 stars sooo...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
mmm 3D If it wasnt for the WCG, i'd go watch that! Since i only pay $8 to see it in 3D :p

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Look, I won't pay 15 bucks to see this movie, but if it's on FX or Syfy by all means I'll watch it. The main reason people hate bad movies is the 20$ price tag, it's admittedly a rip-off, but as I said if it's on like Syfy or FX I'll watch it (in that case it's pretty much free & I have the option of changing the channel if it gets too stupid)

Crono Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
Woo! Somebody on the internet actually liked Other M! THANK YOU BOB!

It seems like everyone's focusing on the bad voice acting for Samus (cause no good game in history has ever had bad voice acting) and making cries of sexism. Cause showing respect to your military commander and the closest thing you have to a father is a complete disgrace to women everywhere. And he wasn't saying it was better than Prime 1. Prime 1 may not have had the amazing camera and combat that Other M has, but it was certainly less linear and more atmospheric. And, while the rest of the Primes were also less linear, I'd still take Other M over every Prime but the first one.

I wonder if Yahtzee will actually mention the gameplay, unlike everyone else on the internet.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Razvex said:
diddykonger said:
$50 that the character reveal is Leon
Too predictable. He did say surprising :p

Although stranger things have happened..

OT: At first after the first movie was released, I initially was disappointed at the straying away of the core of the games, but I found myself enjoying the movies anyway - So hopefully this one is just as enjoyable.
Let me guess.. Cloud from Kingdom hearts? And then we will find out that Resident Evil is made by Disney and Square Enix...

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Razvex said:
diddykonger said:

OT: At first after the first movie was released, I initially was disappointed at the straying away of the core of the games, but I found myself enjoying the movies anyway - So hopefully this one is just as enjoyable.

He meant this Leon

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Crono Maniac said:
Woo! Somebody on the internet actually liked Other M! THANK YOU BOB!

It seems like everyone's focusing on the bad voice acting for Samus (cause no good game in history has ever had bad voice acting) and making cries of sexism. Cause showing respect to your military commander and the closest thing you have to a father is a complete disgrace to women everywhere. And he wasn't saying it was better than Prime 1. Prime 1 may not have had the amazing camera and combat that Other M has, but it was certainly less linear and more atmospheric. And, while the rest of the Primes were also less linear, I'd still take Other M over every Prime but the first one.

I wonder if Yahtzee will actually mention the gameplay, unlike everyone else on the internet.
Oh trust me, plenty of people are bitching about the gameplay, though mostly for shallow reasons.

Oh yes, and let's not forget that Samus apparently isn't allowed to have emotions. Like no woman has ever had those

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Razvex said:
diddykonger said:

It wouldn't be that predictable, since the second movie explicitly stated that Leon died.

Even so, I'd say that yes, it's Leon. Which is AWESOME.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Firia said:
So now... there's this. I agree with Bob that #3 was better than #2, but disagree that any of them were better than #1.
I'm with you on this one. The first movie was great, the second pathetic and the third one decent. Seriously, how can anyone claim that the second one was better than the first?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Hey bob if you are done with Another M do a if this were a movie review of it, I think the story needs to be reviewed by a semi coherent professional. :p

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
All I know is that the Las Plagas would look AWESOME in a movie... if the CG was good.

Anyone remember the thing that chased you over the hanging cage in that chasm in Resident Evil 4? Freaked the hell out of me in the game. Why not put it in the movie? Same thing can be said of the Regenerators.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
No I will not "calm down" about 3D, because I can't go and see anything in 3D without getting a massive migraine, watery eyes, and a sore nose from wearing two pairs of bloody glasses. 3D can crawl back into the wasteland where it was living for 40 years and die for all I bloody care.