Escape to the Movies: Riddick

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Damn, a retread of Pitch Black, while probably awesome, is not what I was hoping for. I wish Riddick 3 would have been able to find a middle ground between PB and Chronicles, much like the animated Dark Fury managed.

Still, I'm going to see this. It may not be the best movie out there but it does sound like a lot of fun.

talideon

Mar 18, 2011
Yuuki said:
...so when Bob tells me that the new movie has no explanation of what happened after Chronicles, I'm a little pissed. Sorry but...WHAT? An entire evil galactic empire with gigantic fleets of ships and magic-powered technology wasn't a big enough deal to continue with? What the fuck did Riddick do after the last movie, just grab a ship and fly away with the entire empire's attention on him?

You know what, screw spoilers, I'm going to dig up the plot of Riddick and see if it's even worth my time.
No, there's a bridge at the start of the movie explaining why Riddick went from being in that position to being stranded on the planet. It's a bit terse and could've been handled better, but it's still there. I'm guessing it was as short as it was for budgetary reasons.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I think Bob missed the point here.

Riddick is an emotionless serial killer. So the lack of acting skills for Diesel works. It's what makes Riddick the character he is. As for saying he can fuck a lesbian straight? "Gross" seems like an overreaction. But besides that, he's a serial killer. He spent his life murdering, living on deserted planets, getting into fights all over the galaxy. Pretty sure it's nothing special when he says something like that. So, to be honest, I don't think Bob understands the character. Which is odd, since he's a really simple character with no real complexity.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Aww, are there really so few people that liked the second movie ? Sure it's different from Pitch Black but it was great too and I always hoped for a sequel of that one, it opened a interesting backstory & universe :(

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
There are some buttons that can easily be pushed to make Bob hate or love an entire movie. It's just... I get the feeling recently that he is to much giving into that instead of trying to neutrally criticise the movie. I don't have the same Buttons as you Bob, I don't think your reviews work for me anymore...

BTT: It's a shame that they don't follow, or completely drop, the Necromonger-Storyline. It could have been something like Space-Conan-the-Babarian ;-) Maybe I will enjoy this nontheless, I just like the character and the universe they created in Cronicles of Riddick

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
I get the feeling from this video that the only reason you dislike Riddick is because of Vin Diesel and the only reason you seem to hate him is because he is a "tough guy". I usually like your stuff but really, get over the High School Wedgies already. Diesel doesn't have a lot of range but he fits perfect for this Character and the Riddick movies are fun.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
chronicles of riddick is one of my favorite movies, and the reason for that is that vin diesel is able to pull off not just another bad ass character but a character that that just look that way but in reality more is going on beneath the surface. It also feels like vin diesel is like the perfect person to play riddick when you watch he you feel like he is riddick and not just some actor paid to play his role.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Is it bad I want to see it even more for the idea of fuck her strait. It's so backward sexist it's funny. Like lollypop chainsaw. Then again I've been looking forward to this since Vin said he was going to do it.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
The only real problem I found was the line which was something along the lines of "I'm gonna kill these guys then go balls deep in you" to which a majority of the audience laughed. My initial reaction was, did people just laugh at someone threatening to rape someone? Since when was that an ok subject?

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
josemlopes said:
Farther than stars said:
josemlopes said:
Farther than stars said:
So essentially this film's approach to sex can be summarized as both misogynistic AND homophobic. Yeah... like I needed more of a reason NOT to go and see this.
Also, stone-faced meat golem would be a really cool band name. I just needed to say that.
I still havent seen it but I highly doubt its like that, he probably hits on her, she says she is a lesbian and he being Riddick probably keeps hitting on her because he is just that good. Not going after the "fuck you straight" but after the "I am so good that for me its worth it, the other guys just dont know how to pleasure you", the idea isnt that after he fucks her she is no longer lesbian, the idea is that he is the exception because he is that good.
That's what's misogynistic about it though. Essentially that's him saying: "Don't you worry your pretty little head about your sexual orientation. Let 'the man' figure out what you really want." On top of being incredibly chauvinistic, it's also just plainly arrogant. Never trust a man who touts his abilities more than his actions prove them.
Plain arrogant, yeah! Thats Riddick alright, but about this whole situation thats probably all he is and its not about man being superior to woman, its about him being superior to everyone. The guy isnt just talk though, he really is superior to everyone else (he isnt exactly human)

I mean, the guy basicly fights and wins against the most powerfull enemies out there and becomes like, king of the universe or some shit.
Being a good fighter doesn't mean you're superior to everyone else. Intelligence matters far more, for one thing. Besides, I'd never consider an arrogant man to be superior to anyone. Arrogance makes people learn poorly, so they don't develop their skills very well, which means that they're quickly and easily overtaken by better people.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Farther than stars said:
Being a good fighter doesn't mean you're superior to everyone else. Intelligence matters far more, for one thing. Besides, I'd never consider an arrogant man to be superior to anyone. Arrogance makes people learn poorly, so they don't develop their skills very well, which means that they're quickly and easily overtaken by better people.
You havent seen the other movies/games, havent you? You would understand that he isnt all that two dimensional.

That statement was really left field from what we are talking about.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
I loved Pitch Black if they wanted to revisit that idea then great. Grweat idea but bad production. I liked the videogames too.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
josemlopes said:
Farther than stars said:
You havent seen the other movies/games, havent you? You would understand that he isnt all that two dimensional.

That statement was really left field from what we are talking about.
Yeah, I've seen them, but that's not the point. I just think that talk about "turning lesbians" is offensive. And I don't care who or what the hell you are; that kind of stuff shouldn't be allowed to fly in a civilized society, much less in a mainstream movie.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
leviadragon99 said:
QtheMuse said:
Also if your a straight male who hasn't thought about turning a lesbian straight then obviously you should just leave your man card at the door. All it is, is a harmless fantasy and people should just get over taking sexuality so damn serious.
It becomes a little more serious when you consider that the real world does have a history of trying to force gay people to be straight, from camps where they're indoctrinated and encouraged to "pray the gay away" to straight-up raping them, there's also a difference between having a ridiculous fantasy and shouting it to the world through mass-media, potentially influencing people into thinking that sort of thing is okay.

Also, for using the term "man card" you're automatically kind of a douche.
Amen.

IndieGinge said:
To be fair to the movie, though I've not seen it yet, from what Bob was saying, I don't think that Riddick actually does this, more that he threatens to do so as part of his "morally ambiguous barbarian badass asshole" shtick. I feel like Bob would be up in arms if he actually did change her sexuality through sheer machismo. Instead he was just disappointed by the film's use of the idea. If I'm wrong then let me know, but it alters whether or not the movie just makes a somewhat clumsy use of a trope, or actually is a little repugnant.
Correction: 'little repugnant' should be 'totally repugnant'.

LifeCharacter said:
Unless the film actually has the lesbian start falling for him, there's no real implications that Riddick can fuck the gay out of women or that he's some "exception" to everyone's sexuality.
The question isn't whether he can do it, the problem is that it would even be implied.

IceStar100 said:
Is it bad I want to see it even more for the idea of fuck her strait-
Yes, never question that. Next!

Zac Smith said:
The only real problem I found was the line which was something along the lines of "I'm gonna kill these guys then go balls deep in you" to which a majority of the audience laughed. My initial reaction was, did people just laugh at someone threatening to rape someone? Since when was that an ok subject?
Never was. And yes, I did just answer your rhetorical question, because sometimes things just need to be said, regardless of rhetoric.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
At least they got rid of the shitty baggage from Chronicles. Why didn't they just make a Butcher Bay movie instead?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Ditocoaf said:
Heh, I always knew gay women would turn straight if only they had sex with a real man. Thanks, Vin Diesel! This movie sounds great! *rolls eyes*
I don't actually think she was a lesbian, the only time she said it was when she was surrounded by dudes. They also never actually fuck, so there's that too.

Edit: In fact, he never say's that he'll fuck her straight and she never mentions that she's a lesbian in front of him. Seems like some people are grasping at straws.