Escape to the Movies: Scre4m

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Happy to say I've never seen a Scream movie. Ever. Good thing too.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I'm glad you pronounced Scre4m correctly, Bob. I figured it would suck, just because of that damn numerical replacement in the title. Grr...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The closest I have ever came to watching a Scream movie was when I watched Scary Movie Uno a long, long, long time ago. I am not sure if that is better or worse :/

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Nooo Bob! Give me at least 3 reasons why the 1990 sucked? And not personal ones. As for sream movies, well... The parody was better Scary Movie if I'm not mistaken.

Just for the sake of defending the 1990, we had the rise of anime (DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho) in western media. We console gaming finally being put to, pc gaming. Half Life 1, Nirvana (well that was not a good example...) You felling where I'm going.

vviki

Lord of Midnless DPS
Mar 17, 2009
Awesome review, Bob. Nothing like a bit sweet vengeance. Never been a horror movie fan, but since that genre gave us the Scary Movies (yes, I even like the 4th one) I give it a cookie. Sorry for what has happened to your potential back then, but look at you now, having 3 awesome shows running, 2 blogs, 1 weekly column, I think you got the respect, you deserve, sir.

Ps. I love how you make fun of the title by pronouncing it how it would really sound. All who think that adding a number to your title is edgy, hip, clever and whatever else are destined to be made fun off. Can't wait for your next show!

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Heh while I would agree the scream movie were a tad bit overated, I still found some enjoyement in the franchise (not rushing to see the movie that's for sure)

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I enjoyed the first scream but not the next two that followed. It was a fun and cheesy slasher flick. I'm sure this one will suck too. But it does have Annie from 90210, so it can't be that bad.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Noticing a bit of venom in this one.

And, nothing personal, but I've often noticed one of the most common conceits of film reviewers is to assume that the creators of a given work have seen all the same movies that the reviewer has seen.

Chances are, they're too busy making movies to get out to the cinema quite as often as you'd like. And chances are that something that you thought was original has been done before, just not necessarily in this country, or within the scope of films you prefer to watch or review.

That minor gripe aside, the idea that Scre4m is just an obvious attempt to wring a bit more blood of out this particular cinematic turnip shouldn't come as a great surprise to anyone.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
You gush and rage at the most random things, sir.

I wasn't planning on seeing this one, but your review reinforces that decision.

But I do have one suggestion: You don't like the 90's? Fine. Own it. Maybe don't continue quoting a sad, alcoholic, punch-drunk washout, though. Is that how you want to end up?

I personally liked the 90's. High school and college were fun for me (for the most part), and America hadn't yet decided to use one isolated incident to turn into a full-on police state and piss off the entire world.

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
Aside from all the personalized angst that Bob put into this ("boo-hoo, now everyone is as selfaware as me") I have to agree with his feelings towards this film. I saw it last night and was thoroughly unimpressed, and I actually liked the first movie.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
From the F3ar school of bullshit name giving comes: Scre4m!

Well, anyways... I was never too big on scream. Or slasher movies for that matter. If i'm gonna watch a horror movie i'm gonna want some suspense and some creative killing.
So in that respect i could somewhat forgive Saw for being shit, just 'cause they at least made some interesting death scenes.

But really... i'd like to see a movie producer that could incorporate just SOME of this into his/her work.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
One thing I have to ask.

Courtney Cox not have a substantial career after this?

Now obviously not to the level of Drew Barrymore granted but c'mon she's Monica from Freinds.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
The 90's were awesome.

Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodrequize, Nirvana, R.E.M. made their best album ever...Steven Speilberg did two fantastic films, so did Scorsesse, Radiohead had Ok Computer, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, The Wu Tang Clan, OutKast and Nas all existed...The Sopranos started and DvDs were invented (along with huge t.v.s)

I have now proven that the 90s didn't suck.