Escape to the Movies: Scre4m

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Maybe it's because I spent my "best years" in them, but I like the 90's.

Interesting to see that someone else shares my distaste for Scream. I also really disliked the Parodies of that film; aka. Scary Movie. *shudders*
Those are all best forgotten.

TheEndlessSleep said:
So you hate the franchise right off the bat because it made your one talent meaningless?

I can't take your review seriously if you openly admit to being biased against the movie before you start...
I don't reckon he hates Scream because it made one of his talents meaningless - it was just a bi-product of that terrible movie.
Seems like a lot of people only took in the part where he mentions his childhood "talent" and ignore the rest of the explanation as to why he thinks Scream was rubbish.

Everyone's biased - Bob just mentions it advance.
The only people who could be totally unbiased towards Screfourm are the ones who never saw the prequels, which would make for a pretty lame review if you hadn't seen the others.
So at least you know where you stand here.

lokiduck said:
For once can you leave my era alone D:< I was born in 1990 so I'm a 90's kid and it really bothers and annoys me how you stab at my era all the time because it wasn't your precious little 80's.
Mind, if you were born in the 90's then the oldest you could have been was 10 by the time they were over... how broad a view can a 10 year old (or younger) really have about an entire decade?
Just sayin' is all.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Selvec said:
The 90's sucked?

Two words Bob. Warner Bros.
And another word...Pokemon! tee hee :')

OT: I like the Scream movies, just think of them as a comedy (which it was originally going to be before they chose to do a horror) then it kinda gets away with what it does :p

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
I saw Scream 4 yesterday and it was...kinda meh. I didn't think it was terrible, but I wouldn't pay to see it again, and even if it was on TV for free I'd probably see if something else was on first before watching it.

It is a pretty bad strike against the movie when the best scene is the one where the characters are watching another movie that you happen to like (aka Shaun of the Dead. Gotta put in my DVD to watch now).

I never really had anything against the Scream franchise in general. It exists, and the movies are generally average and below IMO. The first one had some points for attempting to shake things up a little, but I probably wouldn't put it in my top 20 favorite scary movies.

I did rather like Hayden Panettiere in the movie. I actually think she had the best character out of the cast, even though her clothes and hairstyle made me wonder if she was in Sucker Punch.

There is one part involving the stupidest character in the movie that frankly, in my mind, just defies all logical reasoning.

Sidney's publicist/book agent or whatever she is is pretty much designated as a bitchy "Yeah for innocents getting murdered because now Sidney can do another book deal and my company, and by proxy me, will makes loads more money". So it's really obvious from the start that she's going to be in the body count.

So she's going to her car in the hospital parking garage and the killer calls her, she freaks out and runs to her car, locking herself in. Now, I'm inclined to count this against her, because personally, I would have run straight back to the door she went through to enter the garage and gone back into the hospital where there are loads of people and cops. But technically, she did use an elevator to get to the garage, so she might have been killed waiting for it to get to her floor. (Still, I would imagine there are stairs nearby she could have used). In this case, it's a bit of a fifty/fifty toss up, so I'll say that going for the car is about as good an idea as going back to the elevator.

So she's locked in the car, trying to get it to start when Ghost Face pops up in front of her hood outside with a bundle of wires in his hand. Okay, he's cut the power to her car, obviously she can't drive away. She turns her head for a second as she sees another car driving away and yells for help, and when she turns to look back, Ghost Face is gone. Then SHE GETS OUT OF THE CAR.

What? WHAT? Where is the logic in that? You know he's out there, and you're locked in the safety of your car. Granted, he might have been able to break through the windows and get her, but she was still ten times safer staying in the car than getting out. And most people have things in their car they could use as a weapon; my mom has a hammer/slash knife thing for emergencies in her car (in case you need to break the window and crawl out of the car, and the knife part functions to let you cut yourself out of your seatbelt if it won't unbuckle), that would make a pretty decent weapon. Hell, even one of those chipper/brushes you use to remove snow and ice from your windows would have worked.

Obviously, it would have been better to stay in the car and wait, maybe see if you can get the attention of another car coming by. But the even better thing she could have done is just use her phone and call for help. Ghost Face called her right as she entered the garage, so she's got a working signal. And again, there are cops right in and around the hospital. Someone would have been there to help her in like five minutes.

But of course she doesn't. She gets out of the car, runs for the door and gets caught and killed.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Trouble

If a movie remembers you about a better one sure can happen. But if the only good part of a movie IS the reference to a better movie. One you could be watching right now... yeah!

I mean sometimes only one or two things are good in a movie it happens. Like with Manos the Hand of Fate. Torgo was good..and the dog was one of the best actors, Just like the dog in The Room.

You get my point.. really Scre4m won't make it. It won't be remembered. It will be at most bought to own the full series. But watched? No!

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
Haha, this movie couldn't have gotten a more biased reviewer. Not that I care, these movies don't hold much interest for me, it simply amuses me.

Scream Five should be Mask Man vs. Movie Bob.

I'd watch it.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
While i do really like MovieBob and i really enjoy his reviews, i get the feeling that no matter how good or bad this movie was then he would have bashed it no matter what because of a personal vendetta.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I liked the first scream but can't remember the other two. I'm not expecting anything from this, everyone knows that sequels get worse as they go on.

Semi-Human

Nov 16, 2010
is bob biased here...yeah.
but does that change that this movie sucks? No.

Scream has always been a shitty hack movie. Its dull as fuck, does any really care about the characters? The only thing there deaths mean is one less douche to scream like a annoying morron. If they want to do funny self aware they should do some jokes about milking the shit out of something that sucked to begin because or advertisement and fantards.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Jesus 5 minutes of Bob sitting there bitching. I couldn't even finish the review, not that I would ever watch scream anyway.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Semi-Human said:
No. The movie might not have been good, but he failed at his job as a critic. He used his position as the site's main movie critic not to do a proper critique, but to spew hate for 5 minutes. Biases are natural, but you are supposed to set them aside when you review something. Bob let his bias get too in the way.

No one here is saying Scre4m was good, or are defending the movie in the light of the "criticism". People are saying Bob allowed his personal vendettas and biases to cloud his judgement, thus gave us a pathetically unprofessional review. You are attacking the straw man in every sense of the word.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
TheEggplant said:
canadamus_prime said:
You know, it just occurred to me that Scream would be so much better if the characters, since they are so genre savy, actually subverted the usual horror/slasher movie tropes, by beating the shit out of ghostface when he shows up.
They do. They just don't win. The knife always gets them in the end.
Not that I've ever seen, all they ever seem to do is run around screaming like idiots, or cowering in a corner somewhere.
This is from the first movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rk4nfYq87w

Yes, she dies in a stupid way. And her 'fighting' may not have been the most effective, but she definitely didn't just run away.

Ghostface pretty much always get his ass kicked... he mainly manages to kill his victims because they see a 'way out', they go for it, it turns out not to be a good idea and he kills them. This is part of the 'trope subverting' scream tries to do ...

One of the (many many many) logical flaw of the series is that the whole 'whodunit?' angle should be easy to solve based on how many gashes and bruises the killer would be sporting when not in his Ghostface costume.

Blood Countess

Oct 22, 2010
Stall said:
Semi-Human said:
No. The movie might not have been good, but he failed at his job as a critic. He used his position as the site's main movie critic not to do a proper critique, but to spew hate for 5 minutes. Biases are natural, but you are supposed to set them aside when you review something. Bob let his bias get too in the way.

No one here is saying Scre4m was good, or are defending the movie in the light of the "criticism". People are saying Bob allowed his personal vendettas and biases to cloud his judgement, thus gave us a pathetically unprofessional review. You are attacking the straw man in every sense of the word.
This is why I stopped watching him when he had a temper tantrum over Scott Pilgrim not being the number 1 movie.To me he is not a movie critic but a wannabe yatzee but with movies most of the time..I go to spill.com for movie reviews with humour but at least some honesty

beema

Aug 19, 2009
poor little nerd kid bob

Well, I think I actually liked the first Scream. I think everyone I knew also more or less liked it. Then again I liked a lot of stupid crap when I was that age.

Still, it was somewhat original back then.

One movie was enough though, I'm not sure why anyone felt the need to turn it in to a franchise (well, except for $$$$$)

Looks like Anthony Anderson has made an entire career out of being in crappy horror movie parodies!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Semi-Human said:

Scream has always been a shitty hack movie. Its dull as fuck, does any really care about the characters? The only thing there deaths mean is one less douche to scream like a annoying morron. If they want to do funny self aware they should do some jokes about milking the shit out of something that sucked to begin because or advertisement and fantards.
I actually prefer it when a reviewer is subjective because at least you get something HILARIOUS out of it. Travers over at Rollingstone is highly subjective and his reviews hwere he rips into crappy movies are some of the funniest stuff I read. Whenever he reviews a Michael Bay movie it's funny as hell. And I don't blame him either; if I had to sit through a shitty movie I'd find a way to make the review more entertaining than the film is

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
As already mentioned, it's good that you explained your bias before the actual review, your statement may be right and a review sure is always subjective, though in my opinion this one is the most unprofessional made so far because of to much ranting... maybe, by explaining your personal problems with the series you wanted to show some self-awareness, just like scre-four-m?

However, forget about your dark 90th and go on making better reviews.

As always i read the last replys after i posted and then have to edit:
Aiddon said:
I actually prefer it when a reviewer is subjective because at least you get something HILARIOUS out of it. Travers over at Rollingstone is highly subjective and his reviews hwere he rips into crappy movies are some of the funniest stuff I read. Whenever he reviews a Michael Bay movie it's funny as hell. And I don't blame him either; if I had to sit through a shitty movie I'd find a way to make the review more entertaining than the film is
I know how subjektivity in reviews is somewhat neccesary to make them interesting at all, just as MovieBob's reviews wouldn't be the same and much more boring without it, though subjektivity/objectivity in journalism/media is a bit of a problem in general, because
a) it is impossible to write from a 100% objective point of view
b) to much objectivity is boring anyways
c) to much subjectivity isn't good either because it results in media manipulation
d) while media manipulation is the worst (in my opinion) unfortunately it is the goal of most media

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Tarkand said:
canadamus_prime said:
TheEggplant said:
canadamus_prime said:
You know, it just occurred to me that Scream would be so much better if the characters, since they are so genre savy, actually subverted the usual horror/slasher movie tropes, by beating the shit out of ghostface when he shows up.
They do. They just don't win. The knife always gets them in the end.
Not that I've ever seen, all they ever seem to do is run around screaming like idiots, or cowering in a corner somewhere.
This is from the first movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rk4nfYq87w

Yes, she dies in a stupid way. And her 'fighting' may not have been the most effective, but she definitely didn't just run away.

Ghostface pretty much always get his ass kicked... he mainly manages to kill his victims because they see a 'way out', they go for it, it turns out not to be a good idea and he kills them. This is part of the 'trope subverting' scream tries to do ...

One of the (many many many) logical flaw of the series is that the whole 'whodunit?' angle should be easy to solve based on how many gashes and bruises the killer would be sporting when not in his Ghostface costume.
Ok granted, but it'd have been more impressive if, once Ghostface was down, instead of trying to escape through the pet door (which was an incredibly stupid idea anyway) she'd given him several kicks to the head to make sure he stayed down then, then raised the garage door and got the fuck out of there, maybe taking a second or two to find out who's under the mask.

EDIT: Another problem with the Scream series is that the killers motivations kept getting more and more ridiculous with each sequel. I can't wait to find out why the completely unoriginal killer in Scre-Four-m is going on his copy-cat killing spree.

FlitterFilms

Oct 29, 2010
I'm a big fan of the previous three (yes, that's right, all three of them) and I liked this film and will probably see it again. It's a little odd to complain that a movie based entirely around the concept of being pretentiously self aware is too pretentiously self aware, personally it seems like Bob could have not bothered to see the movie and still been able to write this review as his points seemed pretty obvious and the "I hate scream" disclaimer at the beginning just made the whole thing all the more pointless. Why waste an entire video on something you knew you were never going to give a fair chance in the first place? Should have just had it as a foot note to a real review.

Still enjoyed the video, it made me laugh. Personally I hate the horror genre, I only watch it to laugh at it and the 'Scream' franchise works for me, though in all seriousness this was a pretty weak installment in the series. Didn't really add anything and even though it was meant to be mocking tired reboots and endless pointless sequels it still somehow managed to become a tired reboot and a needless sequel. But hey, that's the horror genre for you, at least this franchise makes me laugh on purpose.