Escape to the Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Kids Deserved Better Than This

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
SandroTheMaster said:
But the turtles were spot on.
Minus the fact that Michaelangelo wasn't the laid back kawabunga guy and shouldn't be horning in on April. Raphael, excessively aggressive and kind of pushing it with the toothpick thing. Donatello, too stereotypical of being a textbook nerd. And leonardo, not as much of a leader as he is supposed to be

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
GeeksUtopia said:
SandroTheMaster said:
But the turtles were spot on.
Minus the fact that Michaelangelo wasn't the laid back kawabunga guy and shouldn't be horning in on April. Raphael, excessively aggressive and kind of pushing it with the toothpick thing. Donatello, too stereotypical of being a textbook nerd. And leonardo, not as much of a leader as he is supposed to be
People are too attached to the 1980s show. The turtles weren't the pinnacle of characterization in that one. They were two dimensional in their roles and the writing overall was awful. I remember hating, HATING April even when I was a Kid because of how utterly useless she was, and how all she brought to the equation was two even more useless characters (something I wasn't sure on how it was even possible) and her sex-appeal. Other than that, she was the dumbass-in-distress in every freaking single episode, looking for ever more obvious ways to get kidnapped.

In a movie aimed more at adults, I understand how each of the turtles were adapted. I really don't see how the "date-rapist Michelangelo" everyone's talking about, the guy was clearly harmless (one blind missile gag non-withstanding) and he was precisely the cornball goof I expected. Raphael was a more veritable loner/badass for an adult audience, than the neutered "I disagree with Leonardo every once a full moon" he was in the 1980s show. This version of Donatello showed very well how his intelligence made him resourceful as well as a techie. Leonardo did intervene in every single scene with the turtles to remind his brothers to hold back and not unleash on a civilian.

To each his own, but I agree their characterization was one of the few saving graces of the movie, too bad the turtles only got something like 20% of screen time.