Escape to the Movies: The 2010 MovieBob Awards

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Well, we don't' know for sure if the director of Monsters automatically guarantees that the new American Godzilla movie will be bad.

Also, I noticed that in your last Intermission column, you neglected to mention Winnie the Pooh, which is going to come out the same day as the final Harry Potter movie. I don't know about the rest of you, but THAT'S what I'm going to see... first.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Well that was a pleasant surprise: I saw 'awards show' and thought it was going to be 6 minutes or so of slobbering on 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.' (Which, tbh, my serious disappointment in most likely was a product of the horrendous amount of geek-hype it got.)

On the other hand, I am disappointed that there was no mention of 'Inception'. I am an unabashed Nolan fan, but that was easily the best movie of the year. Easily.

Flashing forward to '11, there are a couple of movies I'm looking forward to, but probably none more than 'Thor'.

EDIT: Woot. 1000 posts.

tj236

Oct 6, 2010
What movie was that when you said "WHY?"

Is it Uwe Boll related? Did that bastard get the rights to another video game movie?

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
This is entertainment media. Its designed to be entertaining. If I wanted real criticism, I'd probably go read Roger Ebert's reviews.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I think I ended up getting a list of about half a dozen movies this year.

Bob's going to be busy if he takes up io9's list of geek movies this year. I don't think he's going to do all 55.

I am looking forward to a Green Hornet review soon. I'm starting to get excited over Sucker Punch. The funny thing on that one is I haven't been looking for a trailer yet.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Considering how well the monsters are handled in MONSTERS, I'm pretty excited for Gareth Edward's version. It can't be any worse than the Matthew Broderick version....

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
The quality of this episode accurately reflected the overall quality of movies last year. I didn't like it, but I think I understand Bob's artistic intent.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
What's wrong with Transformers 3, Bob? Aren't you happy they ditched Megan Fox? I know they didn't replace her with Amanda Seyfried, but still, why not just ignore it?

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I had to read this thread to figure out what the heck was on that one picture near the end.

That movie is so far off my radar I'll need a diving bell to get a reference to it.

Splice ans Scott Pilgrim have been on my to watch list since the minute they came out. I just never got around to it. Both seem to be movies that people are very conflicted about, which means I'll probably like them.

Not sure though.
walsfeo said:
The quality of this episode accurately reflected the overall quality of movies last year. I didn't like it, but I think I understand Bob's artistic intent.
Kudos for that post.
SpiderJerusalem said:
One of Mr Jerusalem's best tirades is the one in the restaurant where he curses out all those dry matter of factly journalists and cries out for more engaged opinionated people in the industry. Funny to see you call yourself that and have the opposite idea.

Just sayin'.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
No one wants to watch Splice with me.. : ( I have it on bluray and have a new PS3 and everything... FUCK>

They won't watch 9 either.

Double fuck.

Damnit bob, I guess I'll have to keep waiting for a good godzilla movie. Sad.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
"WHY??" ...What? I didn't recognize the character in the picture.
It's from the trailer of the next Transformers movie.

No you get it, right? Repeat after me: "....WHHYYY!?"

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
as i have previously mentioned i didn't like iron man 2, and i had a awesome time watching the first, and it tested really bad in my silly action movie group, my little brother (9), my uncle (42) and myself (20) all hated it, and i dont get why you loved the "ninjas...damn" line so much, so i dont agree there, my biggest disappointment was inception, not that it was bad, but i was "promised" a deep and confusing movie, and what i got was a pretty straightforward CoD style action movie, and i really tried getting into it, i even read four or so takes and analyses on its story, all of which had big glaring holes, still a fun action movie, but not really oscar material outside the special effects category (and maybe supporting actor to Cillian murphy, i really love that guy).

oh and for best character, well i never saw paranormal activity 2, so who knows, maybe it is the best one, my choice would be Mark Zuckerberg, as we can all agree that the super badass smooth genius we saw in the movie had nothing to do with the real life guy.