Escape to the Movies: The 2010 MovieBob Awards

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
canadamus_prime said:
"WHY??" ...What? I didn't recognize the character in the picture.
It's from the trailer of the next Transformers movie.

No you get it, right? Repeat after me: "....WHHYYY!?"
No. Who's that supposed to be in the next Transformers movie? Tell me that first.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Sabrestar said:
I knew as soon as I saw the "Biggest Disappointment" category mentioned what Bob was going to pick for it. I remember having that same reaction as a child when some line from a trailer of some cartoon movie didn't make it into the final cut and I was devastated.

Please tell me that wasn't Mel Gibson holding Punxsutawney Phil? What a disturbing image.

Next year'll be better, Bob, I hope.
I don't know if it's supposed to be a paticular person all I know is that it's supposed to be his imaginary friend that's supposed to get him out the hole of his life in his newest totally serious gunning for the oscar movie.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Pseudonym2 said:
I thought Splice was one the most overrated movies a I saw this year. It had a lot of big ideas but they were all stupid or just factually incorrect. I can't say more without spoilers but most of movie were based on ideas that were debunked decades ago.

To be fair, there was a massive drop off on the Sarah Palin show. There are people watching it but not a a lot if that makes anyone feel better.
That was what threw me off of Splice, too. It really bugs me when science fiction tries to play itself off as hardcore "true" sci-fi, but is based on what is known to be untrue in its own time.

Also, I'm already seeing "Palin for president in 2012" posters in my head when I think about all the media attention she's getting. I am NOT looking forward to listening to my mom try to convince me why I should vote for her.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
No. Who's that supposed to be in the next Transformers movie? Tell me that first.
Does it matter? With how much respect for the franchise Michael Bay has, maybe Bob's just lamenting that a third movie even got the green light.
Ten bucks says it's a Unicron voiced by Eddie Murphy, though.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nice to see that Movie Bob will reward a good performance even when it doesn't come from an actual human being.
But how about another section with "best piece of silverware used in any movie"
and "most attractive piece of furniture" (probably something from the twilight franchise, like I don't know, that werewolf guy or the palish girl)

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Fraught said:
Fox KITSUNE said:
Maybe the "Ninja's... Damn" line is on a Deleted Scene or is in the directors Cut maybe?

I too was looking for that line just because of MoiveBob's mention of it^__^
IT WAS LEFT OUT...damn.

That sucks though, really sucks.

Why would they do that?
Maybe it was offensive to ninjas? 0_0

Anyway when I think about it that pool cleaning robot was awesome, in the next one I hope we learn more about him.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Does it matter? With how much respect for the franchise Michael Bay has, maybe Bob's just lamenting that a third movie even got the green light.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
canadamus_prime said:
Of course it matters. But then I actually liked the first two Transformers films. Sure they weren't ground breaking cinema masterpieces, but they were still enjoyable. And bay seems to have more respect for the franchise than you people seem to think he does, what with all the little nods to it in there, that apparently everybody but me missed. And besides all that, everyone seems to forget that one man does not a film make. Ever watch the end credits for a movie? Notice how many names are mentioned? All those helped people made that movie. Well maybe not so much when they start listing so-and-so's driver, but you get my point. The director doesn't magically make the movie all by him/herself. And lest I'm mistaken, Micheal Bay didn't write the screenplays for either Transformers movie. In fact let me check ... Nope, the screenplays for both movies were written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman. So send some of your wrath their way eh?

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Splice? Why? Why this obsession with such a terrible movie? I mean, it started ok enough. In fact, it was pretty good for a while. Then suddenly, things go downhill so fast I didn't even realize it before the end.

It went from good/average to terrible as soon as Brody had sex with Dren. Who in their right mind would have sex with that creepy ghoul thing? Especially when you're already in a relationship? Way to make Brody's character as unlikable as possible.

Then his girlfriend takes away the cat, cuts off Dren's tail, and basically acts like a total ***** to Dren. She tries to make amends, but Dren kills the cat with her tail and grins creepily. So now I hate both of the characters, and the stupid monster thing for killing the cat.

Alright, let's set likability aside for a minute. Maybe now the movie will give us some interesting ideas on inter-species relationships, and the couple might even question if it was actually cheating. Plus, the introduction of the extremely foreseeable plot point that Dren had the girl's DNA in her could have sparked some intelligent film.

But nope. Dren goes ape shit, turns into a man monster, rapes the girl, kills the guy, and I could not stop laughing at how ridiculous that whole sequence was.

I'll give it this much, Dren was creepy. But intelligent? Underrated? Splice was none of those. In fact, it was overrated.

Unless, of course, you're going to go see it as a comedy. I wish I had; it would have made the rest of the movie even more hilarious. At least now Insiiiiiide you is a fun inside joke amongst my friends and I.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Thank you thank you thank you thank you for bashing Skyline.

I agree completely with the thing about the trailer. That close up shot was equally awesome and almost frightening. But the move was quite literally one of the worst I have seen.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Of course it matters. But then I actually liked the first two Transformers films. Sure they weren't ground breaking cinema masterpieces, but they were still enjoyable. And bay seems to have more respect for the franchise than you people seem to think he does, what with all the little nods to it in there, that apparently everybody but me missed. And besides all that, everyone seems to forget that one man does not a film make. Ever watch the end credits for a movie? Notice how many names are mentioned? All those helped people made that movie. Well maybe not so much when they start listing so-and-so's driver, but you get my point. The director doesn't magically make the movie all by him/herself. And lest I'm mistaken, Micheal Bay didn't write the screenplays for either Transformers movie. In fact let me check ... Nope, the screenplays for both movies were written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman. So send some of your wrath their way eh?
All that's wasted on me, because I was never into transformers as a kid. I just never got into it. I don't know all the details of the universe, but I do know one thing: Transformers was always about the transformers. The movies were more about the human characters, who were all irritating and boring. The transformers themselves had less personality than the cars they turned into. It takes more than dropping the names of a few characters to show respect.
But yes, little of that is actually Bays fault directly, but he agreed to use that script. The director can say no to any script he doesn't like and that he went ahead using it says something. And Michael Bay is a terrible director. He overemphasizes visual effects, he doesn't have the vaguest grasp of proper cinematography and he can't pull a decent performance out of his actors (and yes, the director can influence the performance of his actors. Compare Natalie Portman in the Star Wars Prequels to her performance in Black Swan; that's the difference a good director can make).

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Rainboq said:
Bob, it could be worse, the director of the new Godzilla movie could be Uwe Boll.
Uwe Boll is too busy ruining our memories of video games,strangley I think Michael Bay should direct the Godzilla movie as long as it's about making things explode,he's pretty good at explosions

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
faselei said:
Monsters was't very good? You're joking! It was subtle, moody, beautiful... it was a bloody masterpiece! Quite british, but you liked four lions so that can't be it. Ho hum, each to their own.
Yeah but Godzilla isn't about pacing,it's about Godzilla destroying half of Tokyo in order to save it from a different monster

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Maybe I missed it, but... who was the robot character when Bob said 'WHY?' towards the end?

Monkey King

Mar 29, 2010
Why does a robot have a mech-stache?
2011 looks like a big year for movies; Several heavy hitters hitting the field, some even in the same month!

But there are some that look a bit dodgey: Like Rise of the Apes, which i guess is a PotA prequel? (would love to hear MB's take on that....)
Now I have to see PA:2 just to see such a stand out character!

SapphireD910

Dec 24, 2010
So I vote that Cap or X-Men win. Thor is looking... ok, but I fear a lot of visuals and action with no depth in the acting. I'm not even sure I want to check out Green Lattern.

I was never for Mel Gibson, and yeah, I'd really like to just stop hearing about him. HIs next film sounds about as crazy as he's been lately. Crazy guy with a beaver puppet... ok, no thanks.

I'm actually wondering if the "Ninja's... damn" line is real or just clever editing of the audio for the trailer. I never saw the movie, I was going to, until I heard all the awful reviews. Then I just thought about the trailers I've seen, and it really feels like they edited it out that way, not that it's an actual line that got cut. :(

I don't know if anyone like Bob saw a cut of the film before release with the line, or like us, got it from the trailer too.