Escape to the Movies: The Adventures of Tintin

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Waitwaitwait--G.I. Joe 2? And did that trailer feature Bruce Willis?

Well, damn. I didn't realize I wanted this. Knowing nothing of TinTin, I guess I'll check that out too. But now I want to see the second movie. I don't even remember the first, except for having some fun with it.

And really? More proof that Batman loses? Wasn't that extremely obvious from Bane even being in the damn thing? His only purpose in the comics was to break the Batman. That's it. Brilliant as he was, it's his one call to fame. Nolan has shown that, if nothing else, he likes the concept of Bruce Wayne the man, Batman the idea. Bale's gonna snarl at him, then get bent in half over Bane's knee.

magma

Jul 21, 2010
I should also add in my experiences in working with mocap data fixing it alone takes a lot of time/pain and what you get often doesn't work until you eliminate a lot of excess noise to just be able to fix what you have. Afterwards you often have to manually add back any small actor quirks the mocap missed and the camera recording of said mocap picked up. Plus there is everything you may add yourself.

Animators are absolutely needed for a mocap movie even if it's just to get what the actors attempted to do.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
I really wish I had of seen this when it was here in Ireland, I jut guess the characters... unsettled me too much. By the way, if it's not too much trouble MovieBob, could you please please please Include a reason for why Sherlocke Holmes 2 is crap (You're brilliant when you do angry reviews)

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Aureliano said:
Damn it, Bob, I don't care if Sherlock Holmes sucks. There is nothing in this world that can make me watch either Hugo or Tintin, especially not in theater and even more specifically if they involve Scorsese and Spielberg respectively. I literally cannot think of more overrated sellouts than those exact men.

So I'm going to go watch Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law be handsome and phone it in, because at least somebody might get laid there and those guys phoning it in still has twenty times as much heart as Scorsese or Spielberg 'trying'. Also childrens' movies suck.
Can't tell if trolling or just stupid...

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I remember watching Tintin as a child but it seems like NONE OF MY FRIENDS DID!
When I heard they were making this I almost peed my pants with excitement. I am really glad they went with a good director.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
Oh come on, no props to the writers?

Seriously, Spielberg got Edgar Wright and Steven Moffat to write this thing. I can't think of a another writing duo I'd want more for a movie. I'm slightly disappointed Bob didn't bring this up. But oh well; I've actually been looking forward to seeing this movie myself.

And I have to add in with the rest of the people wanting a longer review of Sherlock Holmes 2. I loved the first one!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
tehweave said:
Mission Impossible 4: Kinda sucked?

Not surprised. No movie has ever been "great" for the 4th installment, and rarely passes for "good."

Sherlock Holmes 2: Really sucked?

Damn.

Tintin: Actually good?

Imma have to see it then.

Also, I enjoyed the first G.I. Joe movie, so the 2nd one looks pretty good too.
Actually, Sherlock Holmes is certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. 64% of critics quite liked it.

And MI4 "kinda sucked"? It's currently one of the highest rated movies of the year, with a 95% fresh rating and getting rave reviews and lots of accolades praising the newest MI movie as the best in the entire franchise and Brad Bird as one of the best action directors in the industry.

Take that as you will...

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Just saw A Game Of Shadows 10 minutes ago and gave it a solid 9/10. What the fuck are you smoking Bob? Tell me Bob. I want some of that stuff Bob. There is no way a movie that good could not influence a person's subjective opinions on the global scale taking away and all freedom to say that is was not the best Bob!

Dec 3, 2011
Did Bob even see Mission Impossible? I don't what he's smoking, because it's my favourite movie of the year.

And I'm not alone in liking it - it has 95% on Rotten Tomatoes

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Really glad you liked this one. I saw it some months ago when it played here in Sweden, and I loved it. Been looking forward to your review since then. My initial reaction was "woah, Tintin just beat all Pirates movies with a single scene!"
I thought you were gonna mention the delightful way in which the movie seems so realistic at times yet still have the balls to let an airplane be fuled by Haddocs alcoholic breath and otherwise treat physics like old school Donald Duck cartoons.

Zoroastres

Sep 13, 2007
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, Sherlock Holmes 2 suck? You got to do a review on that next week explaining why it suck!

Also danm I knew that film is worth checking, well I think I still got some time left to see it.
Do you have to even ask? Watch some trailers. It's low quality is self-evident.

If you want some good Holmes, watch the recent BBC series, Sherlock.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i'm a huge fan of tintin, i have all the books (including the tintin chez les soviets, which is kind of stupid), and i was afraid when i saw the trailer because they took 3 books to do one movie. From what i see from bob comment and comment from europeans, i might go see it (it's out last week here, first place in north america yeah !).

When bob say that there's no origin story, it's actually normal, since tintin have no origin. he just start as a reporter and we know nothing of him. at no point in any book we see his family, or why he became a reporter.

it's also funny to note that in the first half of the books, milou is actually a talking caracter. he can talk and tintin can understand him, and when haddock get there, milou became a very intelligent but regular dog.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Zoroastres said:
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, Sherlock Holmes 2 suck? You got to do a review on that next week explaining why it suck!

Also danm I knew that film is worth checking, well I think I still got some time left to see it.

Yes, Cumberbatch and Freeman make the perfect pairing in that series. Ritchie's efforts just look like a PotC knockoff.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I understand that he does more "cynical" entertainment reviews rather than metric reviews, and understand that it's largely opinion, but I'm really beginning to doubt his credit as a reviewer. And I've been watching him ever since his first reviews here.

First Red State apparently became one of the worst movies of all time, despite being one of the freshest adaptations to film we've seen in a while, yet he loves Sucker Punch. This kind of cycle has been repeating for the entire time that he's been here.

I don't know, it's just been bugging me how (for lack of a better word) wrong he's been about some of these movies.

I'm gonna watch the Sherlock Holmes movie next week, and if it's decent than I think I'll have officially lost faith in him. Just a small little rant.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Zoroastres said:
Scarim Coral said:

What's low quality about it? I've seen the trailers, and it actually seems to be the exact opposite of that.

Great visuals, great acting, plenty of action, and an above par story (judging from the last one).

Sure, not that great to the source material, but in terms of entertainment value, much more interesting.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i was really surprised with tintin. was pretty true to the comics. or as i know it in german "tim und struppi".
me and my wife had a good time watching it. i agree with bob that it has some minor flaws, but you really can overlook them.
looking forward to part 2. :)

i had a feeling sherlock holmes 2 will suck. already part 1 sucked. this is not the sherlock i know.

GI trailer looks nice. might watch it. already enjoyed part 1.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Marmooset said:
How on Middle-earth is The Hobbit aimed overwhelmingly at audiences outside of the United States?

(And please, somebody say because of the author. I dare ya.)
It isn't, but The Hobbit is not the movie Bob was talking about. In the review he said that the second of the films aimed overwhelmingly at audiences outside of the United States would be directed by Peter Jackson after he had completed The Hobbit. From this I can assume that he is talking about a different movie, though I do not know what that movie is.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Marmooset said:
How on Middle-earth is The Hobbit aimed overwhelmingly at audiences outside of the United States?

(And please, somebody say because of the author. I dare ya.)
okay, because of the fact that Tolkien is the author, lol :p