Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I just got back from seeing this and I enjoyed it a lot more then the original film and while its not up there with the Avengers and Thor, its very entertaining. I felt all the main characters were better handled then in the 2002 film with the change from from dork to Superhero feeling a lot better paced and the small changes to the origin story, I felt, improved it. Dr Conners motives were believable if a little crazy (but then who isn't after turning into a giant lizard?) and I thought the CGI was fine.

However, I like a lot of character development/relationship moments in my films and the more cheese it has the better. I also grew up with the height of CGI being the tv show Reboot so I admit I often can't see what everyone is complaining about when they say a piece of CGI looks crap.

Andronicus said:
but the worst part was the awkward period of muttering between Gwen and Peter when trying to ask her out on a date. One of the weirdest, idiotic things I've ever seen in a movie.
I probably shouldn't admit this, but for me that was the most realistic part of the film as I've had attempts to ask people out end up just like that (though sadly I got a no).

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
After having got back from seeing it, I'm very perplexed. Did I watch a completely flick? Granted it had flaws but I thought it was alright. Maybe it's simply a case of whether you think a Spider-Man film should break tradition or not.

Unlike Green Lanturn which everyone hated, this one hasn't received a critical lashing despite Bob's rage... weird.

yatterman1

Nov 17, 2009
actually from what i seen so far of it outside theaters it looked more like they tried to recreate the feel of the way the old T.V. show from the 70s and failed at it badly, which is not saying it was a bad show back then it was really good for the time up there with Batman (the Adam West version). but still i probably just rent it over Netflix or get when Red Box has it out for a night.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Wow, just got back from seeing this and I gotta say I completely disagree with moviebob on this one. If you're into superhero movies then give this a chance. Don't get me wrong it's not the best one out there but it certainly isn't as bad as Bob suggests (I'm calling him biased for this review). As a matter of fact I'd call it a good movie.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
...A guy Spider-Man helped paying him back by giving him a clear path to webswing is a worse scene than this:

?

Bob, we are clearly on veeeeeeeeeery different wavelengths here.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Sis said:
Whenever someone asks me why I think your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt half the time, I'll point em to this video. You've been against this movie since before anything got announced besides that it's going to happen. And it shows. Even if this movie was The Dark Knight levels of good, you'd probably still say it was bad.
Bingo! Bob's laughable levels of desiring self affirmation ring completely true here. Why I didn't bother to watch this before watching the film today.

I love Spider-Man, have for twenty years.

I HATED the three previous films.

And? I liked this film.

It was not perfect, it had issues, but it felt honest, genuine and truer to the source material and distinct in a modern adaptation. I will watch this again, which is more than I can ever say for the previous three train wrecks.

I liked this Peter/Spider-Man, I liked this Gwen, I liked this Uncle Ben and Aunt May. The villain has its issues, but I am fine if the hero I love is finally done justice on the screen.

Oh, and I do agree about the crane scene being poor and should be cut, much like the HORRIBLE "You mess with New York!" garbage scene of Spider-Man 1 on the bridge.

Simply put, this is groundwork for something great, even if it was simply good. I hope it does gang busters and get to see where this series goes in the future.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Bob, did you even watch this movie?

It was fantastic, and now I see page after page of "Thanks Bob, I won't see it."

No. It was a good movie, give it a shot for yourself.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
ITT: Free thinkers, people who think they're free thinkers, then explain themselves annoyingly, and people who blindly agree.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Nope, not seeing this film, I was never going to because it's always looked retarded and everything Bob mentions makes complete sense to me.
I'm skipping this to wait for The Dark Knight Rises

Ramzal said:
And yet I still love him, oh well.

ImProvGamr

Feb 2, 2012
While I think I would have wanted to see a Marvel adaptation of the Spider-man in movie form rather than another Sony one, I'm going to have to say that I REALLY liked the movie when I saw it. Almost as much as I liked Spider-man 2, which is one of my favorite films.

I thought that Garfield and Stone did great jobs as Peter and Gwen, and the transformation from Peter Parker to Spider-man was much more natural than in Raimi's film. The Lizard was only a so-so villain, and the crane scene was so unnecessary that I forgot about it almost as soon as it was over, but those were my only major complaints about the movie. I'm definitely going do strongly disagree with MovieBob this time around.

Celi

Jun 23, 2012
I really wish people would see the gap between business and art. While the businesspeople who pay for the creation of somethimg can and often do meddle with it, and are sometimes responsible for ruining something that could have been great (KotOR II, I Am Legend's ending, and so on), but publishers and artists are two different groups with very different motivations. A businessperson decided to have this movie made for a totally asinine reason, but it was crafted by a team of filmmakers who had nothing to do with that decision.

I haven't seen the movie yet--I'm not defending its quality. But deciding a movie is bad before you see it due to a busoness decision related to its creation is unfair and only serves to rob you of a potentially enjoyable film.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
*Sigh* And here I was actually hoping that Sony wouldn't ruin this one. But when I read somewhere that this particular film was taking inspiration from Twilight, I knew things were going to be bad. Wasn't quite expecting the lambasting it received from Moviebob though.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Just saw the film. It was better than The Avengers and kicks the shit out of the last 3 Spiderman films. As a comic book film (not counting Batman films because they're more hyper reality) it was the best I've ever seen. Loved it. Bob what are you on about?

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
It's happened, people. Bob has made the "Escape to the Movies" equivalent of "Heavens to Metroid" in being a video that marks the end of the golden age of his videos. Took him a little bit longer to ruin this series, but hey, kudos for finally ruining the only series of videos you do that remained watchable while all the others grew unsalvageably horrid. And they said this day would never come.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Gitty101 said:
*Sigh* And here I was actually hoping that Sony wouldn't ruin this one. But when I read somewhere that this particular film was taking inspiration from Twilight, I knew things were going to be bad. Wasn't quite expecting the lambasting it received from Moviebob though.
Well considering that many people in this very thread are saying that Bob is talking out of his ass and that they loved it, why not watch it yourself before just writing it off? As for the Twilight stuff? Bullshit, I've seen Twilight and there's nothing even close to that bad in Spiderman, unless we've gotten to the stage where every single piece of romance in a movie now means that that film has taken inspiration from Twilight?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Gitty101 said:
What... How about you see if for yourself and there is nothing twilight-like in this movie. Unless you count romance sub-plot twilight which then everything is like twilight.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
anthony87 said:
Gitty101 said:
Well considering that many people in this very thread are saying that Bob is talking out of his ass and that they loved it, why not watch it yourself before just writing it off? As for the Twilight stuff? Bullshit, I've seen Twilight and there's nothing even close to that bad in Spiderman, unless we've gotten to the stage where every single piece of romance in a movie now means that that film has taken inspiration from Twilight?
I saw no Twilight. I saw awkwardness between Peter and Gwen, Peter fumbling his words at first but eventually maturing into a better person and it being a proper relationship. It was actually a love story I enjoyed in the film rather than being fisted in awkwardly. The chemistry between Andrew and Emma really helped.

Andrew kicks the crap out of Toby Maguire's version of Peter Parker. I hated Toby in the role, he was so unlikeable. Andrew's version is much better, feels more true to the comics and it's the first time I've come out of a Spiderman film thinking "YEAH SPIDERMAN IS AWESOME" as opposed to being like "Meh, Wolverine/Batman is still cooler".

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
endtherapture said:
anthony87 said:
Gitty101 said:
I saw no Twilight. I saw awkwardness between Peter and Gwen, Peter fumbling his words at first but eventually maturing into a better person and it being a proper relationship. It was actually a love story I enjoyed in the film rather than being fisted in awkwardly. The chemistry between Andrew and Emma really helped.

Andrew kicks the crap out of Toby Maguire's version of Peter Parker. I hated Toby in the role, he was so unlikeable. Andrew's version is much better, feels more true to the comics and it's the first time I've come out of a Spiderman film thinking "YEAH SPIDERMAN IS AWESOME" as opposed to being like "Meh, Wolverine/Batman is still cooler".
Damn straight man. It actually felt natural after whatever the hell it was that Kirsten Dunst and Toby Maguire were trying to do....huh, I just remembered something that Bob mentioned in the review. The "muzzle flash" of the web shooters, what the hell kind of complaint is that? As far as I could tell, that was just the compressed air or whatever it was that actually fired the webbing out of the device along with a little red light to indicate when it's active.