Escape to the Movies: The Expendables

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Meh, i got half way thru and decide dnot to watch the full thing. Its like listening to someone complain that theres nothing on TV..

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Heh...as much as I chuckled the moment I heard where this was gonna go...eh.

Seriously, I loved the 3rd Twilight movie review a lot more than this or Transformers Revenge. I mean...it's one thing to let your rage fly at select moments and another to just indulge in it wholly.

...alright fine, it is entertaining in a trainwreck sorta way...but really, it isn't anything memorable or valuable to me.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
Not something I'm going to remember later but I still found the action enjoyable. Maybe if you let yourself enjoy it you could of had a better time.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
FargoDog said:
Blue-State said:
FargoDog said:
And yet I'm still going to see it.
Traitor! >(
Why? Because I'd rather make up my own mind than just listen to some movie-critic who I could completely disagree with, which I probably will in this case?
Cool story, bro.

OT: Someone might have gone overboard with the fucks and the shits.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
That bad huh, thats a shame. It did look entertaining but you made it sound completly horrible.

Its also a shame that Scott Pilgrim didn't do as well, but compared to a fruit salad made of 80's muscle men and the latest book turn movie that women are going crazy about I kind of suspected this.

I wouldn't call people stupid about this. They are simply just not familiar and/or not interested with it.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
run_forrest_run said:
Blue-State said:
Data East Arcade Collection.AWESOME
It's funny he's Talking about Gore in Rambo when spoiler Rambo doesn't actually kill anyone in that film.
He's talking about the recent entry in 2008. He blows people to chunks in that one.
More like, Rambo used bullets to magically fuse all the human bits with the forest around them.

And it was AWESOME :D

Unlike THIS *eye twitch* movie.
I guaranteed that this would be a poor film. He's an opinionated ****, no doubt, but I'd assume he's correct. My friend actually wants to go see it with me.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
ive seen both scot pilgrim and expendables and honestly i liked scott pilgrim WAY WWAY WAY MORE
than expendables. i mean expendables was meh, worth it but nothing memorable or special really.

WHAT really bothered me about expendables was that it advertised all the big action stars, but really the movie FOCUSSED on stallone and statham, and everyone else kinda sorta does their thing at the end... doesnt really make me care about the other "expendables"

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Congratulations Movie Bob you are now a card carrying member of the movie critics club.
From now on your opinion means [HEADING=1]Excrement![/HEADING]

Now go take your place next to Roger Ebert and be ignored.

Sep 14, 2009
Nincompoop said:
Well. I have lost almost every respect I had for you Bob. The action in this movie was absolutely great. I have numerous times agreed with you (never really on any action, as you rarely discuss it), but this was so f**king opposite of what I thought that it's absolutely f**king ridiculous. There were plenty of memorable kills in the movie.

How about how Stallone used a pistol as a f**king machine gun? (he seriously shot fast and reloaded fast. Absolutely a cool feature).

Most of the action was well executed as well. I would really like to sit down with you and watch it and point out some awesome scenes.

F**k this. I feel so disappointed. Sh*t...

I will not stop watching your reviews as they are always worth watching, but God f**king damn I have never disagreed so much with you before, and I get the sense that you have absolutely no feel whatsoever for action.
basically this. usually i agree with whats under rated or over rated with bob but i went to this movie and really enjoyed it, i dont know what he was expecting walking in but the action in the movie was awesome, i'd love for him to tell how that movie could have been better with those actors in it.

seriously it sounded like you were more piss mad that scott pilgrim didn't do good and your raging on expendables because of that.

if you like any kind of big explosions or gun games, this is a definite must see, the action it is is great, each of the actors have a sweet action scene at least once (most of them have at least 4-5 but a few only have a couple)

sailor_960

Jan 12, 2010
So, question. How do you tell the difference between a homage of action movies, a parody of them and an actual piece of the genre? Totally serious here, I am legitimately confused.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I watched The Expendables and fucking loved it! It was funny in places OTT and cheesey as all hell.

Which made it great!

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Hubilub said:
He dropped the ball on this review. Insulting a film is one thing, insulting someone for liking it is another, but insulting people for thinking the premise sounds like a fun idea?. That's a new low. I won't even go into how much I disagree with you on the quality of the film.
I beleive he saying that this movie has no appeal as an action movie other than it only relies on its machismo pandering and actor-fame to pull it through. I don't think he has a quirk against masculinity as a cinematic concept.

"Just Sayin" (TM)

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
run_forrest_run said:
I guaranteed that this would be a poor film. He's an opinionated ****, no doubt, but I'd assume he's correct. My friend actually wants to go see it with me.
OH DEAR GOD HOW DARE HE.

Seriously, don't listen to everything Bob says. Whilst he's right on a lot of things, you need to make your own opinions. Otherwise you are the 'sheep' he referred to at the beginning.

For example - Daybreakers? Not that good. But, Sherlock Holmes is fantastic. You see? You need to take your own views on things, give it a try. What's the worse that'll happen?

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Best nerdrage I've ever seen, and completely justified IMO. Running movies on the fame of the cast is a money-grubbing suicide mission that works horrifically well, and it doesn't sound like this turned out any different. It's honestly depressing that a genuinely good story like Scott Pilgrim will end up fiscally forgotten because the majority of the audience can't tell the difference between geek culture and geek motif.

I'll probably end up seeing it anyway so I can compare it to A-Team, but at least I know what to look out for.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Seriously, some of you all are taking his insults a little personally.

I think he is insulting the movie based on the fact that it panders to hyper-masculinity and uses its actor-fame to pull it through. Those sound like reasonable complaints to me. I've heard Bob speak highly of movies that present masculinity. It seems The Expendables do not meet his standards of intelligent masculinity. The fact that it overshadowed Scott Pilgrim was injury added to insult.

I considered seeing this movie because of Stalone, Li and Statham. The others are just extra players in an 'all-star' cast movie. 9 out of 10 times All-star cast movies SUCK because they DO rely on actor-fame to pull it though. Seeing how I don't have enough money to see both, now I don't have to worry about regreting to see Scott Pilgrim.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
Nincompoop said:
Well. I have lost almost every respect I had for you Bob. The action in this movie was absolutely great. I have numerous times agreed with you (never really on any action, as you rarely discuss it), but this was so f**king opposite of what I thought that it's absolutely f**king ridiculous. There were plenty of memorable kills in the movie.

How about how Stallone used a pistol as a f**king machine gun? (he seriously shot fast and reloaded fast. Absolutely a cool feature).

Most of the action was well executed as well. I would really like to sit down with you and watch it and point out some awesome scenes.

F**k this. I feel so disappointed. Sh*t...

I will not stop watching your reviews as they are always worth watching, but God f**king damn I have never disagreed so much with you before, and I get the sense that you have absolutely no feel whatsoever for action.
are we forgetting Gunners "warning shot"? ;)