Escape to the Movies: This Means War

Penguinishka

Mar 19, 2009
Surprised he took the time to review this, but yeah not surprised it blows. It was one of those movies where even it's trailer seemed clunky and unappetizing.
But why all the Chris Pine hate? I know he's not THE BEST, but he's really the only reason I would watch this sort of movie anyway.
Also, hope you feel better Bob! :D

Trekkie

Sep 21, 2008
anyone noticed the double starndard about when bob will stand up and shout "this is misogynistic!" about a film at the slightest provocation. However when a film blatantly goes out of its way to be misandric and to say that all men are horrible and evil (like the girl with the dragon tattoo), Bob doesn't even bat an eye lid.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I guess Tom Hardy had to be in a shitty movie sooner or later now that his carreer in Hollywood is getting a boost thanks to the new Batman movie.

He'll always be Bronson to me though.
He was already in Star Trek Nemesis so it's not like he has a flawless past. Although it is odd that both leads in this film have played youger versions of the two most famous Star Trek captains in dissapointing, action focused films.

But overall Tom Hardy is pretty awesome, I can't wait to see him as Bane.

May 17, 2010
Trekkie said:
anyone noticed the double starndard about when bob will stand up and shout "this is misogynistic!" about a film at the slightest provocation. However when a film blatantly goes out of its way to be misandric and to say that all men are horrible and evil (like the girl with the dragon tattoo), Bob doesn't even bat an eye lid.
I can go one better. Remember when Bob did an big picture of girls posing in overtly sexual ways in games? He had a good point but regardless. Now watch his early review and watch what happens when a good lucking girl is mentioned. What picture will Bob put across the screen?

Also this film sounds like they are all horrible people, she is basiclly cheating on two guys and they are using her as a competition. That's not misogynistic it's just depressing.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Well at least Reese Witherspoon is still cute, I mean she's almost 40 and she still looks like she did 10 years ago

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Axolotl said:
Casual Shinji said:
I guess Tom Hardy had to be in a shitty movie sooner or later now that his carreer in Hollywood is getting a boost thanks to the new Batman movie.

He was already in Star Trek Nemesis so it's not like he has a flawless past. Although it is odd that both leads in this film have played youger versions of the two most famous Star Trek captains in dissapointing, action focused films.

I've only ever seen Tom Hardy doing what he does best; Being an insane roid raging madman (Bronson, and as Bill Sykes in Oliver Twist). This is why he'll be perfect as Bane, given he's allowed the room to unleash the crazy.

I've never seen Star Trek: Nemesis, but I figure Hardy isn't the best at playing calm and composed characters.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Nothing I wasn't expecting.

And I guess the point of forgetting this is a creepy situation and the fact the guys have all the power was established because the woman was portrait as the guilty on that situation, since she is the one in a double relationship.

She is hardly the victim here, and if it were genre-reversed nobody would bat an eye. Its like "John Tucker must die" but with the roles reversed... Many of the things the girls in that movie do would make them arrested or at least portrait as the villains of the movie but in the context it was meant to be ok because "hey, he had it coming". Yet movies like "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" still count as comedies when the reversed would be creepy as hell.

Is the movie misogynistic? Sure. We are talking about McG here (a director whose idea of empowered women is Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle), but many romantic comedies fall in this trope. The difference is that, while this was written by Quagmire, other "wacky comedies" are written by Alex Forrest and her friends...

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
Sovvolf said:
I thought Witherspoons characters was the villain of the piece. Unwittingly setting two best friends against one another and ruining their relationship as friends because she can't and won't decide which man she wants. Seemed a little selfish and misogynistic on her part just as much as it does on the two friends fighting against one another.
But she doesn't know they're friends, isn't that one of the main points of the film? You said it yourself, 'unwittingly'.
I don't see how that makes her misogynistic?

On Topic: I never expected anything from this film so it's not a surprise that it doesn't amount to much.
I was going from the trailer where it seemed that she knew both of them were friends, didn't know it was unwittingly until I watched this review. Which is why I said it may be a little unfair

The misogyny comes from two timing two lads cause she can't decide which to stick with... That's pretty low. I'm pretty sure if we reversed gender roles... That's not to say each character doesn't deserve it. With the sounds of things they're all as bad as each other. No one really to root for in the movie when each character is an unlikable prick.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Ah the action romantic comedy genre, why does kind of movie always suck? and why can't they find good actors and actresses that at least have an onscreen chemistry?

But then again whenever I see a movie like this, there always a voice in the back of my mind that says "This is gonna suck." which happens to be true most of the time.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Sovvolf said:
The misogyny comes from two timing two lads cause she can't decide which to stick with... That's pretty low. I'm pretty sure if we reversed gender roles... That's not to say each character doesn't deserve it.
That's not misogynistic, I think you mean something else.
Besides, they have guys stringing along girls in films all of the time, I don't see why it would make her a villain.

May 17, 2010
hermes200 said:
She is hardly the victim here, and if it were genre-reversed nobody would bat an eye. Its like "John Tucker must die" but with the roles reversed... Many of the things the girls in that movie do would make them arrested or at least portrait as the villains of the movie but in the context it was meant to be ok because "hey, he had it coming". Yet movies like "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" still count as comedies when the reversed would be creepy as hell.
I really like "John Tucker must die" and part of it is that those girls aren't portrayed as being enitrely innocent. They are just using the main character in the beginning, get really jealous when he starts to fail for him, and as the younger Tucker says, girls do know he is a cheat but still go out with him.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle reboot? Unless April O'Neil shows up with a bright yellow jumpsuit unzipped to the belt I WILL BE DISAPOINT SIRS AND MADAMS!!!

Come on Hollywood, I believe in you!!!

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Axolotl said:
Casual Shinji said:

I've only ever seen Tom Hardy doing what he does best; Being an insane roid raging madman (Bronson, and as Bill Sykes in Oliver Twist). This is why he'll be perfect as Bane, given he's allowed the room to unleash the crazy.

I've never seen Star Trek: Nemesis, but I figure Hardy isn't the best at playing calm and composed characters.
Actually he's pretty good as a calm guy, look at Layer Cake and Inception (although he doesn't really get to do much in those) and in Nemesis he's one of the few good things in a very bland movie. The reason I'm looking forward to Bane is because he can sound very intelligent and together and Bronson shows that he can still do great as a raging psycho, he's perfect for the part (aside from the minor problem of being English instead of South American).

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
It's hard to take Bob's criticism of Pine seriously since it seems to stem from "ZOMG NEW STUFF IS NEW AND BAD" fanboy rage which is becoming an increasingly common and overt theme in his content. But I suppose that's balanced against his monocle-polishing film-snob side which forces him to give Oscar-bait like Tree of Life movie of the year recognition while still condemning "Oscar season". He's quite the maelstrom of extremes and contradictions.

Also, does anyone really give a shit about yet another attempt to reboot the ninja turtles? It's been done, what, 5 times between TV shows and straight-to-DVD movies?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
Sovvolf said:
The misogyny comes from two timing two lads cause she can't decide which to stick with... That's pretty low. I'm pretty sure if we reversed gender roles... That's not to say each character doesn't deserve it.
Besides, they have guys stringing along girls in films all of the time, I don't see why it would make her a villain.
Well its treating them as objects for her own desires. You know "who is the better looking, better in bed" and other such things based on the dialogue in the trailer. She is judging them and basically setting them up to compete for her. Her only saving grace is that she doesn't think they know about it or each other. Though its still her little game and their still her objects to play with. Don't know what else you'd call it other than misogynistic.

When guys do it, they often get called out on it too, cause it's generally an unpleasant thing to do. How can I root for a person like that.

What makes the other two bad is cause they know the game being played and instead of walking away, thinking its not worth their friendship over a woman that is playing and two timing the both of them. They play the game out of pure jealousy for one another. To them, she's not so much the one as she is a trophy.

As said, neither character can be rooted for. I haven't seen much of the villain, he might not be too bad a guy...

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
WHY YOU NO ARRIETTY!!!

Seriously Bob, why waste your time with 2 garbage movies like Ghost Rider 2 & This Means War.
Studio Ghibli finally gets another movie released in the US, and you give it a complete snub.

May 17, 2010
Sovvolf said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Sovvolf said:
Well its treating them as objects for her own desires. You know "who is the better looking, better in bed" and other such things based on the dialogue in the trailer. She is judging them and basically setting them up to compete for her. Her only saving grace is that she doesn't think they know about it or each other. Though its still her little game and their still her objects to play with. Don't know what else you'd call it other than misogynistic.

When guys do it, they often get called out on it too, cause it's generally an unpleasant thing to do. How can I root for a person like that.

What makes the other two bad is cause they know the game being played and instead of walking away, thinking its not worth their friendship over a woman that is playing and two timing the both of them. They play the game out of pure jealousy for one another. To them, she's not so much the one as she is a trophy.

As said, neither character can be rooted for. I haven't seen much of the villain, he might not be too bad a guy...
Misogyny means a hatred of women. It can't apply to men, that word is misandrist.