Escape to the Movies: Transformers Revenge

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
Saw moviebobs review, thought oh shit (baring in mind this is the first review i had watched). None the less, I went to watch it last night, put it this way, I won't be watching another movie bob review again - it was a truly awesome film, sit back, turn brain off, and grin ear to ear going "mmmmmm explosions and shiny things"

Lightbunny

Jun 15, 2007
Jang said:
Wish he would stop his grudge against Bay. Haven't seen this movie yet, but heard from friends it sucked.

But even if it do, why the fuck this grudge agaisnt bay. Déjà vú was an okay flick, The island, was pretty damn good, The Rock is my favorite movie and is simply so chuck full of awesome that my mind nearly explodes.

Micheal Bay is okay!
Déjà Vu was Tony Scott.

estro_pajo

Dec 15, 2008
Pezzer said:
Y'know, Movie bobs opinions are becoming less and less valued by me. EVERYONE I know liked the Transformers movie and I've been told that the second is even better.
Oh, than I'm afraid to ask you about your milieu.
This is some scary thing you've just said about your life my friend...

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
Lightbunny said:
Jang said:
Wish he would stop his grudge against Bay. Haven't seen this movie yet, but heard from friends it sucked.

But even if it do, why the fuck this grudge agaisnt bay. Déjà vú was an okay flick, The island, was pretty damn good, The Rock is my favorite movie and is simply so chuck full of awesome that my mind nearly explodes.

Micheal Bay is okay!
Déjà Vu was Tony Scott.
Son of a... you're right.

My bad. Well insert Pearl Habour in there instead then ;)

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I like how there is no such thing as an average Movie Bob Review. He either praises a movie as a glorious treasure or a soul crushing dissapointment. A lot of movie reviews seem to hedge their bets saying you might like or you might not. I applaud Movie Bob for taking a stand one way or the other. While I rairly go to see movies, Movie Bob is fast becoming my seccond favorite escapist feature. ZP of course taking first.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Pankeyman said:
Spectacular review, Bob. Michael Bay DOEs indeed suck, they should give him the boot and get somebody more competent to diect next time.

Oh, and if you guys want to hear more bitching about the Transformers movie here's another excellent review don by The Spoony One: http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009/06/25/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-review/

Is it ok if I want to watch the movie just to see ho bad it is?
Thanks for the link. Haven't seen the movie yet but I'm not surprised

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
Thesreyn said:
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was an awesome movie.

Stop listening to this guy just because he tries to be the Yahtzee of cinema.

Form your own opinions, shit.
You know something? I did form my own opinion. Know how? By listening to the reasons Moviebob gave for not liking the movie (okay, he would put it more strongly than "didn't like", but whatever.)
At the same time, I had a friend who genuinely likes the movie and thinks it's far improved over the first one. More robots, more action, and he at least didn't think the plot was a pile of suck. I still don't expect to like it (though I am considering giving it a chance now), due to the fact that I agree with Moviebob that the robots look terrible (and this is said as someone who's never watched G1, so DON'T try and call fanboy on me), and from the fact that it was confirmed that it's still Sam Whitwicky's story, even if the robots got a bigger part in it. And I honestly don't care about Sam. At all. And I care less about his family. And even less than that about whatever Megan Fox's character's name was. If a Transformers movie ever wants to get above mediocre (on its own merits; as another poster has said, a movie for a great franchise like the Transformers fails unless it's at least as great on its own merits) it needs to stop letting humans take center stage. Support? Fine. Showing what the military's up to, how they're reacting to invasion by sentient robots from another planet? Allowable. Making the main focus some random teen's complicated home and love life? No. No. NO!
(Why the hate for the hackers, though? They were genuinely funny, and although the military subplot wasn't SO necessary, but still...)
... Thinking about it again, though... honestly in the first movie, I was disappointed by some (especially Optimus) but the only design I actually hated was Megatron. From what Moviebob showed us the new designs are horrible (especially that spindly Fallen thing), but maybe those guys won't take up so much of the screen that it detracts from the less suckish robot designs. So, like I said, I'll give it a chance, though I have misgivings about it.

I still argue that Bay horribly misused his shiny things. Optimus can't ace three Decepticons at once, even if the scene is hailed by my friend as absolutely amazing, Devastator existing solely as a hole-digger makes no sense, and even with super armor, Optimus should not take mere moments to destroy something capable of blowing up the SUN.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
A random person said:
Thyunda said:
Onmi said:
Thyunda said:
No, you simply don't like them. Stop trying to force your opinion onto other people. If you think the designs were bad, fine. Cry about them elsewhere. Otherwise, shut the fuck up.
Good god Thyunda would you please, Shut The Hell UP! IT is NOT good design, it is A. Impracticable design, B. UGLY design, C. IMPOSSIBLE Design, See you haven't yet told me how the design is good other than "Oh but I like it! you must just hate it" When I have gone on and on showing how the design is BAD.

Again for your fucking stupid mind to comprehend, this is an example of GOOD mecha design

This is an example of BAD mecha design

If you can't tell me why the second design is bad, then you do not have the RIGHT to comment on mecha design!

AGAIN! JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT DOESN'T MAKE IT GOOD! IT JUST MEANS YOUR TASTE AND OPINION ABSOLUTELY SUCK!

And that's the bottom line.
That first one is ugly as sin.
I'd tend to side with the second "bad" one myself. Also, ignore Onmi, he's just trying to pass off his opinion as fact.
Indeed, And I agree... the First one is f****** ugly.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Thesreyn said:
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was an awesome movie.

Stop listening to this guy just because he tries to be the Yahtzee of cinema.

Form your own opinions, shit.
Actually he's quite awesome and has his own style. No, I don't agree with him on this. The first movie was great, the second movie was great and I don't see the point in whining because they didn't make the movie the way he wanted.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
hamster mk 4 said:
I like how there is no such thing as an average Movie Bob Review. He either praises a movie as a glorious treasure or a soul crushing dissapointment. A lot of movie reviews seem to hedge their bets saying you might like or you might not. I applaud Movie Bob for taking a stand one way or the other. While I rairly go to see movies, Movie Bob is fast becoming my seccond favorite escapist feature. ZP of course taking first.
Watch some of the older ones from the Escapist Show. I'm fairly certain he gives Max Pain and My Bloody Valentine 3D an average score

estro_pajo

Dec 15, 2008
I find it amusing that people still say "This film was good". T2 is not even a film... You may like what you saw, but as a film, a piece of cinema, it objectively sucks. It's sooo bad in its every aspect. I don't know even where to start, so I suggest that instead some certin people would educate themselves what a film medium is and what it isn't.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I find it so amazing people are so defensive over this film, as if Michael Bay and Shia LeBoeuf might kill themselves if they found out that most of the critics absolutely hated it.

And they have hated it. Do not be confused. this is not a good movie, not even in the cult classic sense. I didn't see the first transformers, I won't see this one. I'm not even that big a transformers fan but these two films just offend my sensibilities and beliefs in what makes good cinema, which neither of these movies do.

And really, why are the people who do like the movie (who I have no problem with really), get so bent out of shape over people hating it? Clearly none of you have problems saying "it's a great turn off your brain movie" and none of you have problems setting your expectations low, so why do you get mad about people wishing there was something more to it beyond dogs humping, robots humping, and giant swinging robotesticles?

Speaking as someone who found the storytelling and characterization of the pre-film Transformers (well ok, I've only seen Beast Wars) to actually be pretty good, I agree with many that we shouldn't have to immediately think "oh I have to turn my brain off and enjoy the shiny robots and explosions". Especially when said robots are poorly designed at best and outright stupid at worst.

So, to put it succinctly, whiners: welcome to the Internet, people won't always like what you like, especially the critics, so sit down and deal with it.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
OK, this review has finally convinced me that Moviebob has little to no idea what he is talking about when it comes to film. Before I start, let me say that I didn't think that Transformers 2 was very good. At all. Every joke was frankly terrible and it was far too long and bloated, much more so than it needed to be. Did we really need to see Sam at college? What did his roommate bring to the film at all? Robot balls? And as for John Turturro's sagging arse... eurgh.

But really, to dismiss the notion that this was merely a dumb film based on a TOY LINE, and to dismiss anyone who subscribes to that notion as an idiot is asshattery of the highest order. Are you really so pretentious to think that a film about giant robots fighting is going to produce something other than a mindless boomfest? A FILM WILL ALWAYS BE LIMITED BY WHATEVER IT WAS INSPIRED BY, FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE. You want to stray from the source material, by extension straying from what the fans want? Go ahead. But in the entertainment industry, you don't fuck with the fans. An example of my point? Ang Lee's Hulk. Nothing technically wrong with it, but it was a film about the HULK, for God's sake! It veered off into totally irrelevant territory, alienating the fans and as such it was badly received. Michael Bay, with this film, was simply giving the fans what they wanted, making it bigger, brasher and louder than Transformers 1 in all areas. Unfortunately, this applied to the crap bits of that film too, but to all the people who are saying it's the worst film EVAR just because Spoony and co said so, you need to grow up a little.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Im willing to bet less than 1% of you were aware of moviebob's existance before the escapist. I've been a loyal follower for over 8 months, and You all should see his 'Game Overthinker' episodes on youtube starting from ep.1
He may have not pleased you all with this but 97% of his work is Great.
You'll like him alot more when he gives low scores to movies you hate as well.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I have no idea how MovieBob doesn't like the new design of the characters. They actually make sense... you know, A LOT of moving parts, not just like 6 squares with hinges. What's wrong with a design that actually looks interesting?

I loved this movie to death. I'm assuming MovieBob thinks that if a movie isn't extremely deep on every level it automatically sucks. Welcome to action movies. OPTIMUS PRIME TEARS A ROBOTS HEAD IN HALF WITH HOOKS FOR GOD'S SAKE! How can anyone not think that's bad ass? If you don't... I'm very sorry that your life is hollow.

I'm saddened to see that people won't go to this movie because MovieBob says so. Have your own opinion. DO YOU THINK IT LOOKS GOOD :eek:!? Meh, do what ever. Also, WHO THE HELL IS PAYING 20 BUCKS FOR A MOVIE TICKET?!?!??!?! Seriously, I went to this thing for $6:50. What crappy theaters are you guys going to?

YEYimeh

Jun 29, 2009
GuerrillaClock said:
OK, this review has finally convinced me that Moviebob has little to no idea what he is talking about when it comes to film. Before I start, let me say that I didn't think that Transformers 2 was very good. At all. Every joke was frankly terrible and it was far too long and bloated, much more so than it needed to be. Did we really need to see Sam at college? What did his roommate bring to the film at all? Robot balls? And as for John Turturro's sagging arse... eurgh.

But really, to dismiss the notion that this was merely a dumb film based on a TOY LINE, and to dismiss anyone who subscribes to that notion as an idiot is asshattery of the highest order. Are you really so pretentious to think that a film about giant robots fighting is going to produce something other than a mindless boomfest? A FILM WILL ALWAYS BE LIMITED BY WHATEVER IT WAS INSPIRED BY, FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE. You want to stray from the source material, by extension straying from what the fans want? Go ahead. But in the entertainment industry, you don't fuck with the fans. An example of my point? Ang Lee's Hulk. Nothing technically wrong with it, but it was a film about the HULK, for God's sake! It veered off into totally irrelevant territory, alienating the fans and as such it was badly received. Michael Bay, with this film, was simply giving the fans what they wanted, making it bigger, brasher and louder than Transformers 1 in all areas. Unfortunately, this applied to the crap bits of that film too, but to all the people who are saying it's the worst film EVAR just because Spoony and co said so, you need to grow up a little.
Try "There Will Be Brawl" on this site.And that was based on a fighting game. :)

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
GuerrillaClock said:
But really, to dismiss the notion that this was merely a dumb film based on a TOY LINE, and to dismiss anyone who subscribes to that notion as an idiot is asshattery of the highest order. Are you really so pretentious to think that a film about giant robots fighting is going to produce something other than a mindless boomfest? A FILM WILL ALWAYS BE LIMITED BY WHATEVER IT WAS INSPIRED BY, FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE.
And yet even Armada or Beast Wars kicks the crap out of this movie. This isn't Gundam, this isn't just giant mecha battles. This is epic intergalactic WAR brought to the surface of Earth. This is humans getting caught up in something far beyond their comprehension or ability to deal with (every time the US Military succeeds in actually taking down a Transformer, I weep a little on the inside.) This is a few brave souls working together with the "good" side in the war to desperately try and save the planet and the human race from annihilation by a group of alien machines (Decepticons) that could care less what gets smashed while they fight.
In short, this is Transformers. Nobody who really knows the Transformers would ever say that a movie based on them can't aspire to be more than an action flick.
That's what I think is really the problem with Bay. This movie could have been so much more than just a cheap summer action flick, but he didn't even try to make that happen.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Natsu_Blaze said:
That's what I think is really the problem with Bay. This movie could have been so much more than just a cheap summer action flick, but he didn't even try to make that happen.
Because this way is more profitable, and therein lies the problem