Escape to the Movies: Transformers Revenge

kpalz

Jul 4, 2009
Thank you very much. I saw the movie and I liked it. A lot. Do you know why I liked it? Because when I go see a movie, I don't care who the director, writer, producer, or key grip is or what they have done in the past. I don't care if the actor was arrested for DUI or the hot chick just realeased a playboy spread. I am interested in only one thing.

Will I be entertained? Will this be enjoyable? I don't care if you like it, I care if I like it! Do you really know why I liked it? Because I got to see a movie with my son who wanted to take me to see the new TRANSFORMERS movie instead of his friends. Maybe this makes me a douche bag, but I am a 45 year old one pursuing my Masters in Education.

Movie Bob, I would like you to do another video, please. This time, if your up to the challenge, pretend that I am giving you the $200 million budget. Anyone can point out what's wrong. I challenge you to give us your input of what your "vision" is. Obviously, you had an expectation of what you wanted to see, so share that with us.

P.S. I usually agree with your oopinions on video games, but I noticed you tend to be off the mark on the movie stuff. Maybe you should just focus on bashing the X box 360 and stay out of the film genre.

I know you probably just tell me to "F%$K off" or use some other colorful colloquialism (go look it up, I'll wait), but I'm just telling you that I think your off base on this one.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
kpalz said:
Thank you very much. I saw the movie and I liked it. A lot. Do you know why I liked it? Because when I go see a movie, I don't care who the director, writer, producer, or key grip is or what they have done in the past. I don't care if the actor was arrested for DUI or the hot chick just realeased a playboy spread. I am interested in only one thing.

Will I be entertained? Will this be enjoyable? I don't care if you like it, I care if I like it! Do you really know why I liked it? Because I got to see a movie with my son who wanted to take me to see the new TRANSFORMERS movie instead of his friends. Maybe this makes me a douche bag, but I am a 45 year old one pursuing my Masters in Education.

Movie Bob, I would like you to do another video, please. This time, if your up to the challenge, pretend that I am giving you the $200 million budget. Anyone can point out what's wrong. I challenge you to give us your input of what your "vision" is. Obviously, you had an expectation of what you wanted to see, so share that with us.

P.S. I usually agree with your oopinions on video games, but I noticed you tend to be off the mark on the movie stuff. Maybe you should just focus on bashing the X box 360 and stay out of the film genre.

I know you probably just tell me to "F%$K off" or use some other colorful colloquialism (go look it up, I'll wait), but I'm just telling you that I think your off base on this one.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Your nearly half a century old! That's cool.
No one will curse you out as long as you state your opinions intelligently and without malice, which you've done. You really think Bob will curse you out over this post?

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
Allow me to just add to what was written above. You are judging Transformers too harshly!

Was ROTF stupid? Yeah, it was pretty stupid. Was it fun? SURE! If you went into this expecting it to be a serious, thought-provoking experience, you're most assuredly going to be disappointed.

Not every movie is going to be the next "The Dark Knight" or "Watchmen". Coincidentally, Dark Knight was not my favorite movie (it was good, not my type of movie), and I have yet to see Watchmen. I personally loved both Transformers movies, but I'm not going to force my opinion onto you, and I would really appreciate it if you would stop pressuring your seething hatred of Mr. Bay onto us.

Now there were some things I didn't like about ROTF (Sideswipe had only two lines, Devastators...erm, what shall we call them?, none of the new autobots besides the twins were utilized much), yet I was willing to overlook those problems because I went in there with no expectations, was able to turn my feeling of disbeleif off, and enjoyed the movie for what it was: a 2 1/2 hour popcorn flick.

That's your problem, Mr. Moviebob. You expect far too much. If you could just see the movie for what it was, and put your bias against Mr. Bay aside, you might actually enjoy yourself! That's what you need: fun.

Just an FYI, when my dad and I went to see it, we didn't pay $20 to see it. We paid $8 each. :D

There, I threw in my two cents. Now I'm flat broke. :)

Joey245 out.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I liked the movie, and I understand how people could dislike it but... Come on. Worse than Batman and Robin? That's a little overboard.

theeman2000

Feb 21, 2008
movies are measured in how much money they make, not on the quality of their reviews. and since transformers revenge of the fallen is doing what only 8 movies before have done ($400 million domestic gross), then it is a success.

money talks, and it always tells the truth. :D

theeman2000

Feb 21, 2008
EnzoHonda said:
This is a baaaaad movie. There are a whole lot of 13-17 year-olds who are going to watch this movie, love it, then watch it again in 5 years and wonder what the hell they were thinking. (I had the same experience with Godzilla '98)

The movie is just awkward. From the inappropriateness of the monkey-looking black robots to the leg-humping robot, to the close up of the guy's ass in a jockstrap. It is squirm-inducingly awkward.

To those who watched it: What's the plot? Yeah, didn't jump out at you, did it?
I agree with you on the quirky sexual innuendos that were used. they were used far too often and detracted from the point of this movie. action.

however, if you want to see an action movie based on a toy line that has a compelling story, you're gonna be disappointed. This movie was made to wow us with explosions and fighting and it worked.

Bookmen777

Jul 6, 2009
I feel like I just watched a low-quality rage-filled version of Yahtzee. I really like Yahtzee's style and this looks like MovieBob watched some ZeroPunctuation and said "I should copy him." Nice idea, but unfortunately Bob messed it up by going twice as fast and having large amounts of text show up on screen for less then a second. He messed up more by having said text be vitally important to understanding what he was saying. Without looking at what he says about Transformers 2 I can already say I don't like this review as it looks like it was thrown together not merely the night before it was due, but 10 minutes before it was due.

As to his problems with the movie itself:

"[The robots are ugly! They don't look like they used to!]"
We are talking about giant robots that live off a quasi-magical substance that are older then all of humanity and the things it evolved from. Do you really expect all of the robots to look like cars?
The Fallen is from a time when Transformers didn't copy things and hide. As well the Fallen hates humans and wants to kill us all. Why in God's name would he copy one of our cars?
"[There are humans!]"
Yes, the movie that takes place on Earth, the homeworld of humans, has humans in it. I am sure the viewers were really caught off guard by that.
"[Soundwave didn't do anything!]"
Soundwave is a giant robotic telephone. Since when does the sole form of communication for a whole army jump in the middle of the fight and risk his life? If he died that would cripple the Decepticons.

This review was a pure Rant is a perfect example of the "Anger Monkey" style of gaining site hits. "If I scream and cry enough people will watch the spectacle that is my hate filled ranting :D "

IMO, it was an enjoyable movie and do not regret the money I spent on tickets and snacks to see it.

McFisher98

Jun 20, 2009
The action was good the amount of camera jerking was very minimal and you seem to consider it a big flaw why didn't you mention the amount of camera jerking in public enemies

coren79

Nov 29, 2008
i disagree with this review AND NO I'M NOT A TRANSFORMERS FANBOY ive only seen the two movies by micheal bay and i like this movie cos it's different for the fans of the cartoons maybe not because it doesn't go into full details of all the transformers but what people need to remember is that the movie is FOR ALL AUDIENCES not just the fanboys of transformers and i'm afraid i have to quote someone from the site here

Pezzer "Y'know, Movie bobs opinions are becoming less and less valued by me. EVERYONE I know liked the Transformers movie and I've been told that the second is even better."

in my opinion the second is better i enjoyed it's one of the movies where you can come out and think i really enjoyed watching that unlike say spider man 3 where you think MEH

and to back pezzer up a little more i think movie bob is trying to go over the top with the whole yahtzee croshaw thing so i'm sorry to say bob but you've lost a fan here and a few others probably

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
The first one wasn't that bad, but the second brought problems of its own, plus went on for several days.

Worst movie since Seven Pounds, though this one went on even longer.

coren79

Nov 29, 2008
i also get the feeling bob doesnt like michael bay cos if watch closley most of the arguement is about HIM AS A PERSON NOT A DIRECTOR

theeman2000

Feb 21, 2008
coren79 said:
i disagree with this review AND NO I'M NOT A TRANSFORMERS FANBOY ive only seen the two movies by micheal bay and i like this movie cos it's different for the fans of the cartoons maybe not because it doesn't go into full details of all the transformers but what people need to remember is that the movie is FOR ALL AUDIENCES not just the fanboys of transformers and i'm afraid i have to quote someone from the site here

Pezzer "Y'know, Movie bobs opinions are becoming less and less valued by me. EVERYONE I know liked the Transformers movie and I've been told that the second is even better."

in my opinion the second is better i enjoyed it's one of the movies where you can come out and think i really enjoyed watching that unlike say spider man 3 where you think MEH

and to back pezzer up a little more i think movie bob is trying to go over the top with the whole yahtzee croshaw thing so i'm sorry to say bob but you've lost a fan here and a few others probably
I like people like this who get it. reviews that slam a movie by solely ripping on its director is not fair at all. Transformers was an enjoyable experience for me, and the 5.50 USD i spent to see it was well worth it. What ever happened to people enjoying movies instead of searching for its flaws, or hating it just because of the people who made it. If I'm not mistaken, michael bay does not have a single line in the movie.

Brad873

Jul 2, 2009
Bobs reviews seem to take all the negative and hide any possarives, so if he says its a bad movie, i usualy go to see it and expect a great one. I loved transformers 2. It was funny, but a childish, slapstick funny, it had a 'fair' story, and the acting was slightly better than the first. Yes, thefilm is about transformers, but if the movie was JUST them, jokes would get old, action would be repetative and you would get sick of seeing the same damn robot for two houres. My biggest problem with the film was how they would not explain something, or how they could just happen to have an experimental rail gun that could take down the devistator.

But all in all, Bob and his reviews are far too negative, but not in the comical way like zero punctuations.

Bane_Star

Dec 4, 2008
I have alot of patience for movies with bad scripts, bad logic, enjoy the movie for what its worth, provided the suspence of reality stays that way long enough to forget that I'm seated in a cinema or at home on my couch for the main point of the movie.

If it can raise an emotion from me, then its definitely a decent movie.

But my Main concern with this, and the previous..

"THEY DON'T TRANSFORM, THEY MORPH!!"

If I or my kids, can't move the parts on the toy, exactly the same way as in the movie, I cannot identify with them as toys and they lose the very essence of WHAT they are.

I grew up with the toys, Watching them change from car to person, that was the point. seeing HOW was the clever part. But in these movies?? WTF? that's not transformation, that's taking apart the bits on a molecular level and putting them back again.. morphing..

Movie Franchising is about identifying with its audience, connecting people to the products to the movie. This movie rips the audience from its already existent understanding of the ideas so that they cannot enjoy the movie for what its worth, because the whole time, they are seething about how WRONG it is.

This movie is to Transformers, As Twilight was to vampires.. a sick misrepresentation.

As pointed out:
Onmi said:
Okay lets compare, lets say I make a movie based on Okami. but I make Okami a busty female who appears as a dog for all of 10 minutes and instead of a paint brush she uses a whip. And then I set it in present day america, against a corrupt government.

Does that sound like a good movie? does that sound enjoyable? Gamers would be in an uproar about how a game they loved got bastardized! well it's the same thing here! Except I hate the movie cause it's SHIT.

as a Mecha fanatic these designs are terrible on the eyes, the narrative is horrible, and the characters are flat. if all it has going for it is the action I'll sit down and watch the Mazinkaiser movie or the final episode of GaoGaiGar FINAL or Gundam 0083 or anything else! action with mecha is NOT hard to find!

This is a disgrace to cinema and it's a disgrace to mecha. Wanna know how you make it so the cast consists entirely of robots and nobody will get sick of them? with good writing. No one is saying humans have to be absent it's not Beast Wars after all but god DAMN they should not be the focus of the plot!

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
Hmm, personally, i rather liked it.

Theres plenty of good actors, the script could have done with a bit of cleaning up, the transformers, as last time, are fecking awesome in the design, and concept - sorry, I don't give a damn about what they looked like in the 90's. Watch many a 90's cartoon now, and you'll cringe, and i don't really see why anyone would want to watch 3D versions of neon red and blue robots instead of the new modern versions - it'd look shite.

I also like the idea that the "robots only turn up in a 1/4 of their own movie". Actually, they're far, far more present than the first one, nearly every single scene has one - probably about 90% of the film, actually.

Plus, what the hell is this hate for Megan Fox? Good lord. Shes a perfectly good actress, and also looks great without makeup - something which is rather lacking for most actresses. Shia La Beouf, as much as I think hes hideous, yet again is a good actor.

The whinging about what the matrix of leadership looks like is quite hilarious - for gods sake, its modernised now, and looks far cooler - the same with pretty much everything else. The combat, compared to the Bourne movies, and Batman... Hah, thats nothing. Its the same in the majority of movies now - action is all over the place, and you can't see a damn thing. Transformers actually doesn't have a great deal of that, and is rather clear.

Accusations of racism, are quite frankly hilarious. They could be black, they could be hispanic, they could be white. They're gangbangers. Its funny either way, and anyone claiming racism needs to climb down from their ivory tower, and enjoy a nice saltwater enema.

Personally, I rather liked the movie, and would gladly see it again. I don't particularly care what the critics say here, as quite frankly, I found it enjoyable, and an improvment over the first, mainly due to the comedy, and quicker integration of the transformers.

(The giant robo testicles.. perhaps overkill, but I did half expect someone to hit them, or something like that. Perhaps one of the twins.)

One saving grace of your review was that I found some small parts funny, except when I had to keep pausing to get what you put in graphics.

On a final note, what on earth is with the Yahtzisms? If you're going to try and emulate him, heres a few pointers:

1) Get a good mike.
2) Actually make the graphics fit a bit, so we're not having to pause every second to get something. Please, learn to use them properly - you've got a good 5 minute slot there, its not too difficult to do.

Make sense, and actually critique the damn film properly - all you've really done is just expounded your hate for the actors, for no other reason than that you can, and you that you loathe Micheal Bay. For whatever reason, I don't know, or care.

I think this is pure fanboism, along with you trying to emulate Yahtzee. Its been done. Find something new, that isn't just a blatant rip off of someone with far more talent than you, and is considerably more likeable.

Good day sir.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
I never understood the rage against human characters in transformers. I strangely like Shia I think he's a good actor. I couldn't make it though the review cause it seem hate for hates sake. My personal opinion was it was the most fun movie i've seen this summer. But i'm not a critic or cynic....
Its pretty much because the human characters are shallow. Just ask what personality each character has. You can answer what jobs or age they have, but you would not know their backstories nor their motivation nor their likes and dislikes.

Those are just my opinions though, but the sex-related jokes were horrendous and overdone in this movie.