Escape to the Movies: Warm Bodies

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I'm expecting an Intermission article on this at some point, but I'll ask it now:

How much of the Justice League lineup are they going to be rebooting? I can't imagine they'll be bringing in Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern, and as far as I know Christopher Nolan's Batman has no part of a greater DC universe (But does that also apply to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character?)... So just how many possibly-too-soon reboots is it going to take for a Justice League to form?

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
I was intrigued by the premise of Warm Bodies...at first. But now I've had time to think on it, it just seems completely and utterly absurd. Doesn't help that I despise rom-coms to begin with though I guess.

Sep 24, 2008
erttheking said:
Mcoffey said:
I absolutely refuse to see this movie, no matter how good it is. I'm absolutely sick to death of the supernatural romance bullshit fad. Justice League looks good though. Good to keep the roster small at first. Hope they keep Ryan Reynolds as far from this project as possible.
Wait, what else has done this besides Twilight.
Underworld (Selene and Michael)
Let the Right One In (Oskar and the Vampire Eli... which on the surface gets a pass because of puppy love, but gets so much darker once you realize what it all means)
Red Riding Hood (spoilers)
Zombieland (kind of, but all Hollywood movies have to have a love interest, and it wasn't with anything supernatural)
Deadheads (zombie comes back to propose to the woman he loves)

There were a few.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Gizmo1990 said:
5 out of 6 is not bad for the JL movie but I would love it if they were to add the Manhunter in their. At least their is no Aquaman.
Not surprised Manhunter isn't there. Too many similarities with Superman, being the "last" of a dead alien race.

And what the hell is wrong with Aquaman? He's a badass in the comics. Seriously, the "Aquaman sucks" joke has gotten old.
I know he is a baddass. I have never been of the opinion that he sucks. I have just never liked him.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If Sasha Grey is in the Entourage movie, then it's something that I'm ok with.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
whelp, between this and twilight, I guess necrophilia is now considered tolerable, even encouraged, in movies today.
Lovely thought, ain't it.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
The movie seems amusing enough for me to want to see it, but it's hard to tug on the heart strings of a cynic, so we'll see how that plays out.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
Anyone else see the image on the front page and thought the lead guy looks A LOT like the new Dante?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
huh ... was kinda expecting Bob to rip this one apart ...

and since Entourage is on a channel we don't have, nor is something we'd watch if we did, it getting a movie means nothing to me.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
VanQQisH said:
What the actual hell? I seriously have no idea whether I want to watch this or not. Not sure whether I could make through the sitting if it's parodying Twilight, even if it's just a parody.
I'd pretty much try and avoid it. I'm kind of surprised MovieBob didn't get into there being all kinds of movies in this same basic vein. "Fido: Or Up With Dead People", "My Boyfriend's Back", "A Little Bit Zombie", and even the Japanese movie "Stacy" just to name a few.

The whole romance with a zombie, love bringing "alive" or being the same as being "alive" and the relationship with humans evolving around more humanistic levels is kind of old, with differant spins on the same formula. This includes movies both within the last few years, and some that go back a ways. The only thing that stands out here is this one apparently getting a mainstream theater release.

-

Also on an unrelated note (for anyone listening or who cares), I think Bob's "Why" question can be answered simply through popularity. "The Entourage" is one of those "hip" shows of the moment that has been deemed popular enough to get a movie, which is probably going to amount to a two hours episode of the series with a higher than normal budget. It's very similar to why "Sex In The City" got a movie, to which I had a similar reaction.

greyscarf

Sep 24, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
erttheking said:
Mcoffey said:
I absolutely refuse to see this movie, no matter how good it is. I'm absolutely sick to death of the supernatural romance bullshit fad.
Wait, what else has done this besides Twilight.
Underworld (Selene and Michael)
Let the Right One In (Oskar and the Vampire Eli... which on the surface gets a pass because of puppy love, but gets so much darker once you realize what it all means)
Red Riding Hood (spoilers)
Zombieland (kind of, but all Hollywood movies have to have a love interest, and it wasn't with anything supernatural)
Deadheads (zombie comes back to propose to the woman he loves)

There were a few.
Also, before Stephanie Meyer hit, a YA writer by the name of Amelia Atwater Rhodes was doing a series of similar books about vampire & werewolf clans in a New England town. And before there was Amelia Atwater Rhodes, there was Annette Curtis Klause, who did books like The Silver Kiss & the horribly-adapted-for-film Blood and Chocolate. EDIT--There was also a series called Twitches (get it, teen witches) and I think Silver Ravenwolf had a teen neopagan book out as well. Point is, lots of specific YA books led to Twilight.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
5 out of 6 is not bad for the JL movie but I would love it if they were to add the Manhunter in their. At least their is no Aquaman.
What's wrong with Aquaman? Super strength, can swim 100mph, can summon any sea life from anywhere? I know the cartoon made him into a joke but he's actually quite a good character. Seriously, once he made a whale just jump up out of a tank and smash somebody.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Milk said:
Bob, I think your way off with the "why the zombie craze is so big right now" thing.

It's nothing to do with fear of overpopulation, repressed racism or whatever other pseudo-intellectual silliness you mentioned. Rather it's simply an escapist fantasy where one can break free from the monotony of their day to day life, kill hoardes of mindless evil monsters (without remorse) and become the ruthless "hero of the wastes".

Why else would "Zombie Plans" be such a common thing.
Agreed, it's probably one of the main draws, but I do think it's not the only one. The points Bob took up probably goes into the zermbie cocktail as well.

One idea for a zombie film I'd like to see some day is one where we follow some people and their various zombie plans. Life is ridiculously unfair, and it'd be entertaining in a grim kind of way to see a well armed, well prepared individual get killed by tripping or springing a booby trap, and some sods who didn't prepare ends up taking care of his supplies. Luck or lack thereof would probably be a big deciding factor after all.

A lot of internet zombie plans seem to revolve around dressing up like Mad Max, ride around in a big car, picking up chicks and fleeing to an island/build a stronghold somewhere. It'd be interesting to take a few at random and see how they'd hold up.

It would probably recieve a few webforum broadsides, such a film, but I'd certainly see it.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Milk said:
Bob, I think your way off with the "why the zombie craze is so big right now" thing.

It's nothing to do with fear of overpopulation, repressed racism or whatever other pseudo-intellectual silliness you mentioned. Rather it's simply an escapist fantasy where one can break free from the monotony of their day to day life, kill hoardes of mindless evil monsters (without remorse) and become the ruthless "hero of the wastes".

Why else would "Zombie Plans" be such a common thing.
That argument fails when you consider the following question: But why is it big NOW and not before?
Zombie plans are relatively new. Before they were a thing the go to fantasy was world conquering plans.
The question is not why thing A is fun, it why thing A is popular in a particular place in a certain time.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Vausch said:
Gizmo1990 said:
What's wrong with Aquaman? Super strength, can swim 100mph, can summon any sea life from anywhere? I know the cartoon made him into a joke but he's actually quite a good character. Seriously, once he made a whale just jump up out of a tank and smash somebody.
I really need to change that post and explain better. I know that he is a badass but I have never liked him. Don't know why, just do not like the guy. I think it is more that I like the other members of the JL better.