Escape to the Movies: X-Men: First Class

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Fantastic movie. If you haven't seen it yet and are at all remotely interested in it, go see it for sure. Moviebob was right about this one.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Ok, Don't believe this hype. This movie is -VERY OK-. It's good, really. But The Dark Knight? ahahahhahaha no. No it's not that good by far.

Things that are great: Xavier, Magneto, Kevin Bacon, Wolverine Cameo, Moira McTaggart kindof.

Things that are OK: The Story, Ratachak from Starship Troopers, cliche Russians

Things that are terrible: The remainder of the supporting cast not mentioned. All of them. All of them all of them are terrible. The Makeup- Mystique looks terrible, Beast looks fine until he talks. Did I mention every other actor is terrible?

Bottomline: B- through B+. No better, no worse.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
Just saw it tonight, loved it. The nifty little cameo's by Storm and Jackman were awesome, and almost all the characters felt very real (not a fan of the chick playing "Angel", nor am I all that impressed with Mystique's performance. She came off very flat-faced most of the time). I also have to say that I could have done without Emma Frost in there at all, though I suppose they did need another telepath for some of the scenes to work.

Other than that, fantastic film.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
It was a movie with high points, and low points, mostly marred by an unnecessarily slow burning first act that spent way too long establishing the characters and not long enough playing them off each other, which is what it really got right. But once that training montage got rolling, everything after that was totally awesome. Including the training montage itself, in fact. though the main focus was obviously on Magneto and Xavier, in overall character dynamics Mystique really stole the show; her acting fell flat at times, to be sure, but she was so well written and directed that every scene with her was surprisingly touching. James McAvoy really stole the show in the acting department, though. Strong stuff. Was it quite on the level of Dark Knight? Maybe, and if it is, it's for other reasons. Not without its flaws, but a hearty recommendation nonetheless.

It was, however, somehow, the only movie to ever make me properly cry. Tears, streaming down my face and all. No idea why, but there's that.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Movie is completely average, it is just as good/bad as wolverine, not worth a movie ticket to see in cinemas, especially after seeing Thor

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
I wasnt going to go to see this, as the last few films were so poor, but after Bob's rave review I was quite excited. I mean, he compared it to Dark Knight!

Anyway, the film was absolutely fantastic, couldnt believe how good it was. Loved it loved it loved it

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
So we've got two out for this summer that have been good. Very good in fact. But can Green Lantern keep up the streak?

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
Amazing movie. It reslly blew me away. Sat until after the end credits eagerly awaiting something to hint at the next movie, but alas, there was none.

rwege

Nov 12, 2009
370999 said:
jovack22 said:
Everybody is too harsh on the last stand.
It was fine for what it was.
True, it wasn't my favourite, but it's not a terrible abomination.
Agreed. It was flawed but still enjoyable for me.

I saw this film today and while I didn't enjoy it as much as Bob did, it is deinetely a very good film.
Finally 15 posts in I find someone to agree with. I enjoyed both origins and last stand. No they certainly weren't epic by any means, but both belong on my bluray wall.

coconut_buyer

Nov 21, 2009
I enjoyed the film, but something really bugged me in the second act...

Why did they kill the black guy?

I know it was necessary to kill one of the new recruits to move the plot forward but why did it need to be the only black character in the film? Not only that, but the other racial minority, Angel, sides with the bad guys in the same scene. In the end this leaves us with a cast of beautiful white people as our protagonists.

Its the year 2011, do movies really need to keep doing this? I really wished Bob brought this up, It would have made the review a lot more interesting.

.[B@lL15T1C].

Apr 15, 2009
Did anyone else notice fassbenders accent turned into a crappy northern irish one at the end? When he says that bit about being at the mercy of those following orders

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
coconut_buyer said:

I know it was necessary to kill one of the new recruits to move the plot forward but why did it need to be the only black character in the film? Not only that, but the other racial minority, Angel, sides with the bad guys in the same scene. In the end this leaves us with a cast of beautiful white people as our protagonists.

Its the year 2011, do movies really need to keep doing this? I really wished Bob brought this up, It would have made the review a lot more interesting.
Because it's Hollywood in the Obama era. Black guys have to either die or be embarrased and black chicks are always being fucked by some douchey white guy, it's the law apparentley because fuck Obama. It's okay though, because the audience is rejecting this bullshit.

Let's look at this movie, for all the glowing reviews it really underperformed. No Wolverine: lost at least ten million right there. No Storm: so no 'urban' money. None of the other well known characters that we grew up with like Cyclops, Jean, Gambit, Rogue, or Nightcrawler. Instead the X-men, who are usually known as the badass rebel outcast, are now represented by some boring looking white dudes in the 60's(looking back instead of looking forward).

Also the average not-super-duper-comic-fan liked Xmen 3. They really didn't need to reboot the series. Yeah you have to find some way to resurrect Jean and Cyc but it's Hollywood they can find a way.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
coconut_buyer said:

Both Darwin and Angel Salvadore are two very newcomer characters to the x-universe. In fact Darwin existed for a time just a flashback character during the Gabriel Summers/Vulcan arc. Their addition here I found pretty throwaway. Moira, Beast, Banshee, and freaking Havok (who is my main peeve about this movie, why the heck is Scott Summer's younger brother alive and into his late teens in the 60's, is he going to become Scott's father or what?) have much more history for them to remain alive. Their characters just happen to be white. Remember Storm? Yeah, ultrapowerful mutant that isn't just Black, she's originally from a Muslim country. And she's a staple of the good guys.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I have to say, before seeing it, I didn't have high hopes. But it was actually really good.

coconut_buyer

Nov 21, 2009
shiajun said:
coconut_buyer said:

Both Darwin and Angel Salvadore are two very newcomer characters to the x-universe. In fact Darwin existed for a time just a flashback character during the Gabriel Summers/Vulcan arc. Their addition here I found pretty throwaway. Moira, Beast, Banshee, and freaking Havok (who is my main peeve about this movie, why the heck is Scott Summer's younger brother alive and into his late teens in the 60's, is he going to become Scott's father or what?) have much more history for them to remain alive. Their characters just happen to be white. Remember Storm? Yeah, ultrapowerful mutant that isn't just Black, she's originally from a Muslim country. And she's a staple of the good guys.
I realize these characters don't have a lot to work with but why not expand on them anyways. Besides, the movies don't need to mirror the comics exactly. Better yet, why not switch ethnicities with someone from the main cast. Why couldn't Havoc or Banshee be black and Darwin be white? Their race doesn't have any impact on the story so it shouldn't really matter.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Optimystic said:
Smokescreen said:
Random Argument Man said:
Roggen Bread said:
Am I the only one who actually liked Origins: Wolverine?
You're not the only one. I thought it was of a "So bad it's good" movie.
I couldn't even manage that.

My problem with this film, which I haven't even seen, is that THE TRAILERS GIVE FUCKING EVERYTHING AWAY.

Jesus. I don't even need to see the goddamn film because the trailers have told me all I need to know!

/grumbles more

//will still probably see this because, if it's good, it's good

///but GODDAMNIT
Um, it's a prequel. You kind of know what's going to happen, no huge twists or revelations there. The journey is the point, not the destination.
Um, no I don't. And 'kind of' knowing what is going to happen is vastly different than 'knowing what happens because you've shown me all the cool shit that's in the movie'.

The journey might be the point, except they've shown me every signpost.