Escapist hate towards CoD and Halo?

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Meh I love both Halo and the COD series and I don't really give a shit if people call me a fangirl over it. I enjoy them, I'm certainly not "fangirl" for them.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not so blind that I can't see they are both made by money grabbing corporations ;) x

Kristoff Chester

Nov 18, 2010
see i think its a mix of fanbase (who are 85% dickweeds, 14% mute and 1% ok people) and the fact that the games are just not really interesting. i mean unless you worship halo and know all the details it comes off as being well yeah "power rangers in space with guns" and CoD well... its a WW2 shooter i mean you can close your eyes and bump into a dozen of those things. over all both can be described as "same old same old and defended with a passion and bad spelling"

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I never played Halo, so I am neutral towards it.

CoD on the other hand. The games basically hate Russia, and I happen to be Russian.
Also the gameplay is not-as-stellar as it's supposed to be considering the sales.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
ultrachicken said:
Zaik said:
They never build on anything that they have. Just churn out the same crap with one or two added features at best.

It was slightly less relevant for Halo until that piece of shit about the marines who drop down in those pods that just amounted to a Halo 3 expansion sequel, that earned it full fledged disgust.
The fact that you can't even call the game's protagonists as they're classified (It's in the title!) shows that you don't know what you're talking about.
Halo: ODST.

That took me three seconds to find with google, why would you base your entire reply on something so trivial?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I like Halo because it's not just about shooting people when they pop out of cover. As far as I can tell, that's something it has over just about every game out there these days.

I hate CoD because it tries too hard to be realistic, and it forgets that games are supposed to be fun. People like running up to enemies, dodging their bullets, then delivering an uppercut that sends everyone flying.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Changes made to the FPS genre, for me... I liked shooters in the late 90s/early 2000s. I liked running at 60mph, carrying 700 guns and being able to turn 180 degrees in a few hundredths of a second while also being able to aim at and hit a dime perched on a tower 400 meters away while falling off a cliff.

FPSes are boring, nowadays... and most of the blame can be laid at the feet of Halo. Call of Duty has just followed trends set by other franchises. Sort of a non-entity in my eyes.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
I guess you could call me a fan of both. I have no problem with either of them, aside from COD's storyline appearing as if it was directed by Michael Bay. Halo is fun too I guess.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Apart from the fact the games are released too frequently and the communities are full of people that hate gamers, I actually have no problem.

I just think TimeSplitters ruined other FPSs for me.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
That's a million dollar question right there. For CoD, they're online multiplayer fanbase is what most people hate most. Same goes for Halo (especially those fucking 10 year olds). But when you look at them objectively as a game they stand out as magnificient masterpieces. Seriously folks, play CoD4 or black ops and tell me those arn't awesome campiagns. Again, same goes for Halo 1,2, and 3. Sure they have they're flaws like uninteresting characters and the length of the single player mode, and don't even get me started on the numerous multiplayer flaws, but the simplicity of CoD's "shoot people and stay alive" is fun and Halo has a massive amount of game modes that try to appeal to most people (FFA, Team Slayer, Firefight, Forge, etc). Maybe you see this comment as me rambling on about two games you don't like but you have to take in account the fact that THESE FRANCHISES ARE VERY SUCCESSFUL and games are usually successful because they're good!

Caprice0083

Jun 24, 2009
Denamic said:
CoD has terrible online gameplay mechanics.
Sure, it looks great and the gunplay is pretty damn good, though guns are supposed to have recoil.
Guns in Black Ops are more like bullet lasers.
More to the point: Kill streaks.
I haven't played Black Ops online that much, but what I have experienced were generally negative.
Sure, first few minutes are fun, then a chopper gunner mow me down at my spawn point like 10 times in a row.
And people not dying when you kill them.
That's really fucking annoying.

And as for Halo... None of them really put that much of an impression on me.
I mean, they're good games, and the Halo theme music is among the best I have ever heard.
I'm just not impressed.
I hate that crap in Black Ops too! Never have played a game where you are killed the very second you respawn!!! And got to empty a clip on certain guns you know are strong (even at point bank range) to kill somebody! BS!

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Because a lot of us here enjoy singleplayer focused games [hence all the Bioware love around here].

Hell i dont care about Halo at all, but Call of Duty 1 was the first real game i ever played, and the series has a special place in my heart. At least everything up to World at War in the series.

The problem i had with MW2 and Black Ops was that they were now multiplayer focused games which is quite sad. The problem i see is that besides these two missions...

The problem being there is no way this would ever happen in real life and

Which only the part that involves the PT Boat is unique. [and even then only because you have the badass Rolling Stones in the background].

... there has been no real innovation that has come out of the singleplayer apartment that didnt feel like its been done before.

Right now Activison is just riding on the profit of the multiplayer and the fact that people will pay 15 [!] dollars for 5 new maps.

EDIT: Although on the other hand you have one of my favorite levels of all time in United Offensive

And the famous "All Gillied up" level in Call of Duty 4. These two alone more than make up for the sloppiness for the singleplayer in MW2 and Black Ops in my opinion.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Zaik said:
ultrachicken said:
Zaik said:
They never build on anything that they have. Just churn out the same crap with one or two added features at best.

It was slightly less relevant for Halo until that piece of shit about the marines who drop down in those pods that just amounted to a Halo 3 expansion sequel, that earned it full fledged disgust.
The fact that you can't even call the game's protagonists as they're classified (It's in the title!) shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

That took me three seconds to find with google, why would you base your entire reply on something so trivial?
Because it is a monument to how little you paid attention to the game.

Caprice0083

Jun 24, 2009
I hate the all the Fat Nigg3r jokes on Black Ops and Modern Warfare. I don't hear that crap in any game but those. I don't believe everybody playing these games are white rednecks but could have fooled me by the ignorant crap that comes out of some of their mouths. They even insult their own teammates, losers.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Zaik said:
ultrachicken said:
Zaik said:

Because if I called the newest Call of Duty "The one with sort of darkish missions" people would be able to quite logically presume I probably hadn't even touched the game.

Besides ODST (which, frankly, I still enjoyed very much) all the Halo games I've played have been very fun and entertaining in both single and multi player modes.

Call of Duty, though, has been downhill for me after World at War. It's like Treyarch and IW have just forgotten that the first two games were almost innovative, and have stuck to the formula as if they were made of glue. And as someone who has played all the games, Black Ops is pretty abysmal compared to its predecessors as far as balance goes. And in a twitch-based game like CoD that's saying something.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Selvec said:
Lets see. The majority of CoD games have no innovation and a 4 hours story. Multiplayer often tries to take away what was good, and replace it with rehash, but leave the bad. It's also usually exactly the same as the last game, just with a few extra guns.

The people who play CoD have a reputation for being tards. Where that it was only a nasty reputation started by rumor mongers, then I'd personally pay it no heed, but unfortunately it's often proven true the moment one logs into any type of multiplayer match.

It's also heavily overrated, and over-hyped. Two things which generally aren't liked by those who have played games for a while. I think I can say that a large percentage of the escapist forum is made up of those whom indulge in nostalgia.

CoD 1 was excellent, but those that followed where just clones of the first one. CoD: Modern Warfare was great to, but once again, all that followed where clones of that other one. So that's 2 innovative, fun games in the CoD series I can count. But not amazing. Which probably causes a lot of hate to be directed their way as lots of people see them as undeserving of their over-hyped and highly rated status.

As for Halo. Its overhyped and overrated, I've also heard to much about it and just want it to stop. Personally however, I hate it because it tore Bungie away from making a sequel to Oni.
Well I guess it's good that Bungie stoped making them eh? Wait, Microsoft hired 343 industries to start ruining the franchise? NOOOO!

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Well, considering that most of the people playing CS:S anymore are hardened "pro's", it's really not surprising that you get that feeling. Same goes for Killing Floor; griefers and idiots can't stand to play it because of the sheer difficulty level, so they are usually non-existent.

CoD and Halo, on the other hand, seem to cater to new-comers. Therefore, n00bs abound, and MP is ruined.

Desfox

Apr 1, 2011
People hate Halo and COD because they are currently overrated. And the fanbases can be extremely annoying at times. Every COD fanboy I have met and discussed a new shooter set in modern times repeatedly bombard me with how it is just a sucky COD clone. This is why COD fans are hated. They can't admit COD may no be completely utterly awesome and sent from God. And they claim that every game is just a COD clone but worse(which is ironic when you look at the past 2 COD games).

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
InfiniteJacuzzi said:
MiracleOfSound said:
InfiniteJacuzzi said:
Hipster-only forum?

'Hipster only'? Lol!

I feel like the word 'Hipster' is being massively mis-used these days.

It doesn't describe a minority of organic food eating, jean short wearing 'The XX' fans anymore but more like 'anyone I don't agree with'... same way 'troll' gets flung around in here all the time.
U mad, newfag?
... you almost had me there for a second :D

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Skorpyo said:
Well, considering that most of the people playing CS:S anymore are hardened "pro's", it's really not surprising that you get that feeling. Same goes for Killing Floor; griefers and idiots can't stand to play it because of the sheer difficulty level, so they are usually non-existent.

CoD and Halo, on the other hand, seem to cater to new-comers. Therefore, n00bs abound, and MP is ruined.
Since when was making the game approachable to new players a bad thing? Especially when you are implying that it is the inexperienced players themselves who ruin the game.

So what you're saying is this: you don't like the games because they're popular.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Oscar90 said:
FreelanceButler said:
I suck at them. If all you do is join an online game to die a whole lot, it gets pretty dull pretty quick. After that, it just gets frustrating.
That's my reason for disliking them, anyway. I guess I could play the single player, but I just have other things I'd rather be playing.
yes but you suck less and less the more you play. Patience brother.
Well, I could play more. The I would get better, and probably enjoy it more.
Or.
I could go and play something I already enjoy and don't have to waste hours working just to enjoy it.

You see why it's not difficult for me to choose what to play.