Escapist role-playing and you.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
A thread has been merged with this one due to user requests for a sticky. Enjoy.

Edit: Hey Higs, mind putting a direct link in your OP? I'd do it for you, but it's more polite to ask. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/362.116378.4915965

DarkHuntress

Apr 8, 2010
How does one get involved in the RPG games listed here? Is there an "Introduction" manual or RPG 101 for potential players on the site somewhere?

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
DarkHuntress said:
How does one get involved in the RPG games listed here? Is there an "Introduction" manual or RPG 101 for potential players on the site somewhere?
Here you go, I hope this helps. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.174743-The-Walkthrough-to-Role-Playing-Character-Creation-and-Posting-Habits]

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Also, check out the stickied thread named "Role-playing thread guidelines." That should give you a good insight into how to join an RP and be as good a player as a seasoned RPer.

Galaktia

Jul 4, 2010
Hey I don't know if anyone here is intrested, but for those who want a bit more of a random way to determine the outcome of a set of actions in an RP or for those into classic dice based rule systems you can use only roller mounts to roll and record dice results to allow anyone to look up the roll history of a particular name/monicure.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ <--- is a free online dice roller that requires an e-mail sign up, but is safe and fine... it allows for rolling multiple rolls with ; dividing them, for repeating roll copies with "number of rolls", for disguarding lowest, highest, or rerolling those of specific numbers, and for adding or taking away bonuses with + or -

And this http://home.broadpark.no/~hfled/ is a forum table map maker, created by the talented coder Shanizar of Wizards of the Coast Real Adventures roleplay forums. And allows you to click create and then code export maps for Roleplay battles.

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
Galaktia said:
I just played with the second one and if I might say so myself it's incredibly convenient, I'm going to make sure my GM's see this.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Doctor_Insano said:
i like the idea of this thread, ive ran into the "mary sue" type in my last game: the GM's GF (shocker). i have always gone with the survival is winning approach, and have more flaws than anyone, after all adventuring isn't normal, neither are the people doing it. I play SEVERLY flawed characters, who tend ti end up being badass, mainly because i am seriously lucky with my rolls. Kudos on the info, it should help a lot.
Yeah, I've dealt with a lot of Mary Sues while DMing. Once (and I'm still not exactly sure how this happened) one of the players managed to con me into letting him play a werebear in D&D. He managed to hit on every roll (even on a 2!) and stole the glory from all the other players, who became inept because his template meant a higher CR for the entire group. To top it all off, he started parading around town acting like a badass and undermining the local authority for no reason other than "They won't let me into the super exclusive town council meeting even though I'm an overt tough guy with no political standing." This begged the question, "What's the point of being a badass if the NPCs, the PCs, and the DM all end up conspiring against you?"

Nov 25, 2010
All of these points are very usefull to me but the onlly issues i have is that nobody is telling me if i can post this alone after already writing the story and also how i acually post an RP anyway

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
DigimonReachOfficial said:
All of these points are very usefull to me but the onlly issues i have is that nobody is telling me if i can post this alone after already writing the story and also how i acually post an RP anyway
Posting an RP is pretty easy, just start a forum topic where you outline the plot and backgroud of the RP, any rules or regulations you would expect players to abide by, and a template for character sheets which potential players would submit.

GMing an RP is difficult and a lot of work however so if you're a new to RPing it's probably better to be a player in a few to begin with.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
kayisking said:
I wish I knew someone that played D&D so I could learn it.
I know 4th ed. Want some books?

OT: Thanks for this. I wish there was a bit more than forum games on here. Is it OK if I show this thread to some people elsewhere?

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
BeerTent said:
kayisking said:
I wish I knew someone that played D&D so I could learn it.
I know 4th ed. Want some books?

OT: Thanks for this. I wish there was a bit more than forum games on here. Is it OK if I show this thread to some people elsewhere?
Go ahead.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I have some commentary on an increasing trend on the forum that, personally, irritates me immensely.

When starting a new role-play, is it absolutely necessary to start a second thread to house the role-play's in-character posts? The original thread is right there, free to use. Nothing is stopping you from keeping everything together in the same place.

On that note, using the original thread for out-of-character discussion clutters the role-playing forum. The Escapist has usergroups for that. If you don't want to set up a usergroup, there is Skype, MSN, or plenty of other instant-messaging clients that could house that sort of thing. Just please, keep the number of threads you create, on the subject of a single role-play, to an absolute minimum.

Okay, rant's over.