Escapist User Guide to Posting Commands

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Shameless bump in the hopes that this will stay as one of the first topics in Off-Topic.

Thanks for the help man!

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I just made a thing like this and someone pointed me in this direction, It's a hell of alot better then mine so I'll give it a nudge.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Wow, I'm surprised how much control the forums here give users over content formatting. I am officially impressed. Thanks for setting this all down.

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
I'm still having problems posting images. Can I do it from my computers saved folder or must it be an outside source?

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
What do you mean "last part of the URL"?

I still can't figure out how to post videos, been trying for about 20mins mix/matching the freaking URL...

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
What the difference between bold and strong?
Wordless - Wordless
-
Is there a coding reason that these two commands do the same thing?

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
I'm not trying to be pretentious, but don't you people know that could just use the preview button to see how the post or letters will look?
Aren't these "code command tests" considered low content post? (considering the Topic, maybe not, derp)

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
Claymorez said:
That whole thing would've been a lot easier for you if this forum supported noparse tags. Then you wouldn't have had to type spaces in all your tags so people can see them.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
SPARTANXIII said:
I'm still having problems posting images. Can I do it from my computers saved folder or must it be an outside source?
It needs to be coming from somewhere on the internet, since this forum is linked to escapistmagazine's server, the only way to not have a urlfor it, is to have it on their server. Which you can't do.

Anyway, upload your images to imageshack.us to be able to post them. It's very simple.

Code:

Code:
[ img ]Image url here[ /img ]
Note that there should be no spaces in the img tags, I had to type them so you could see the tags.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
dead.juice said:
What the difference between bold and strong?
Wordless - Wordless
-
Is there a coding reason that these two commands do the same thing?

This is explained in html. HTML also has and tags. Bold is always rendered as bold, however Strong is almost always rendered as bold, but it doesn't need to be. The way HTML tags are rendered depend on the browser, and nowadays all the major browsers render 'strong' as bold. However, it doesn't need to be that way, since the strong tag only indicates stronger text than that surrounding it. Therefore, if a browser wanted to, it could render strong as underlined. Some older browsers do render strong that way, but all the major browsers render strong as bold.

The same information applies to BBcode, since BBcode is basically an extremely simplified version of HTML.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
Trippy Turtle said:
[#ffffff]amidoinitrite? [/#ffffff]
You have to type color=#ffffff in the opening tag and /color in the closing tag.

This is the proper syntax.

Code:
[color=#ffffff]amidoinitrite?[/color]
Note that the hexadecimal code #ffffff is white, so you need to highlight above to see it.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
Jay Parrish said:
What do you mean "last part of the URL"?

I still can't figure out how to post videos, been trying for about 20mins mix/matching the freaking URL...
Where are you trying to post a video from? Youtube?

You can't post a video from your own computer, there is no way to post videos to this forum. Some code has to be added to the forums to allow youtube videos to be posted.

This code would have to be added to the forum to allow youtube video to be posted here.

Code:
Code:

Then this code:
[ youtube]JcjoGn6FLwI[/youtube]

Would post this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcjoGn6FLwI