Escapist's Day Jobs

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
My main job is a sales floor team member at a Target in a business park near me and I'm a substitute teacher for two different daycares. Although I have a feeling they might be letting me go or firing me from Target soon. They'rre always giving me shit for not being fast enough (and I'm "not fast enough" for medical reasons) I've been there for more than a year now so I'm kind of not upset if they do let me go.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I've shifted from professional student to missionary-in-training.

Other than the location change, subject change and actually having to interact with people (positively, no less!), it's not really all that different.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
anthony87 said:
Colour Scientist said:
anthony87 said:
Just started a job this week at Eircom. The biggest national communications network in Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work in a call centre.
Yeah but you work in a call centre for the people who run the phones.

Call centre extraordinaire!
Good point.

To be honest I can't really complain. Tenner an hour and that's not counting commission or bonuses, frequent karaoke nights on Friday, people are chill as fuck. It's totally not what I expected
Actually the one time Eircom fucked up my internet, every person I talked to about it (I was a confused 14 year old) was unexpectedly patient, nice and not a massive pube, considering how obtuse I was about following their instructions. I really feel like myself and Eircom Dude who was going to a BBQ that night really built a connection that can never be broken.
Ehm, I just started college. I'm studying Business and German, which, should I struggle through it should make me pretty employable. In the mean time I'm weary of taking a job with dodgy hours because it could swamp me, but I've thrown around a few CV's. No joy as of yet.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I work as a Cashier in a Grocery store. People ***** about retail, but as far as jobs go what I have is a really easy job. It helps that it's a union job, though to be frank our union is terrible in terms of getting us benefits (we've actually lost more than we've gained)

I graduated college last December with my English degree, and I said I would give myself one year to just be a bum. But now that time is almost up. Going to need Health insurance, and a new car.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I've been a movie critic for the past 5 years. I like the job. You can watch anything you want weeks ahead of release, you get the movie theater practically to yourself and seat anywhere you like, if it's in 3D then you get to watch it in 3D, you usually get treated to breakfast (press screenings take place in the mornings) and sometimes there's swag. Five years later and I can't imagine a life where I can't go to the movies for free. I also love having passes to film festivals and interviewing celebs, moreso when I'm a personal fan of theirs. The biggest win of my career so far has been getting invited to film fests in Spain and France, everything from the plane trip to the hotel included. It's an amazing job.

Also I don't get paid any money for it. Not a single penny :p

So I manage a film studio's Twitter page and work at a bookstore on weekends.
But if you're managing a Film Studio's twitter page, isn't that a conflict of interest! Ethics! JARNALIZM! #MOVIEGATE!!!!! :p

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
TheArcaneThinker said:
Is there anyone here with a good paying job ?
Would you say that six figures is good paying? I could make more but I dont do overtime as I have a young family. And i'd rather spend time with them than be at work.

I'm a Workplace Driver Trainer in Sydney. I teach people how to drive passenger trains. It can be quite stressful depending on what your trainee is like. Most of them are pretty good. But sometimes you get someone who shouldnt even be allowed to look at a picture of a train let alone be behind the controls of one.
The shift work is hell. I finished work at 1:30am this evening. Which is a saturday night. So goodbye social life.
I'm also one of the youngest driver trainers that we've ever had. I got the job when I was 31, i'm now 32. I joined the job as a driver at age 22. I've just gotten my 10 year long service leave today.
So if anyone ever has any questions about the Sydney train network, just ask and i'll pretend I know the answer. :)

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Dalisclock said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
That depends on a lot, which leads me into a kind of rambling rant....

I don't get paid that much by the Navy, and I'd get paid a lot more for doing my same nuclear job(and working fewer hours) in the civilian power sector. The military paid me some nice bonuses and I had extremely fast promotion because of how undermanned(and stressful and how long the hours are) the job is, which meant I was earning more money earlier in my career then most people. Also, the military can pay for a lot of your stuff, such as health care, moving your stuff, not having to pay state income tax(if you set your home as being a state without income tax, even if you've never lived there) and don't to pay income tax when on deployment. Not to mention getting your college paid for

OTOH, I work with people who make a lot more then me, have been in a lot longer....and routinely have no money to spend, or are in outright debt up to their eyeballs. Because I paid off all my debts ASAP once I had the money, bought a honda instead of a camaro(which I paid off immediately) and I really don't spend that much. I buy most of my games on steam sales or from GOG.com(and my backlog is so insane that I won't buy games anymore unless they're really cheap or I really want them. Not because of the money, but I just hate adding to the backlog). I don't have a mortgage or kids or feel any need to buy flashy expensive stuff just to show off. I also don't drink my paycheck away like some people I've worked with.

Would I mind making more money? Not at all. Am I killing myself to get promoted to the next paygrade? Hell no. I'm satisfied with how much I'm getting now. I'm happy with my working hours for the first time in a long time right now, even if I took a small pay cut to work at my current duty(AKA I had a pretty decent monthly bonus for doing a really stressful job, and when I came off the stressful job I'm no longer getting the bonus).

We could probably start a whole new thread on how much money is enough.
Hey, a fellow navy nuke! You're right, civilian side is so much better man. Currently making $38 an hour, and if certain conditions are met, it can get to $97/hr (although those are rare, and don't really last long). Biggest thing though is it's just so much more stress in the navy compared to civilian side. Tons of paperwork, but when I tell someone I can't do something because of reasons, they listen. The only time it seems we rush is during outages really. Keep up the good fight and I'll see ya on the other side!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I'm studying paleontology, which will offer all kinds of job opportunities, I'm sure.

My actual paying jobs have been translating and editing-related.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Work at home part-time telecommunications rep. Currently I'm contracted with AAA/CAA emergency roadside. It's a sweet job but it's also pay per call so it's not uncommon for me to earn less than minimum wage.

Poor but happy, works for me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
I work mostly night shift at a gas station/convenience store.
I make good money (few bucks more than minimum wage) considering I barely do any real work but its more or less a "baby's first job" thing. I was going to college to become a teacher to satisfy my family's wishes but then I remembered that I hated school and didn't want to be a teacher and dropped out.
Current plan is to schmooze my way up the ranks to become a GM of one of the stores and make a lot of money while doing even less work than I do now.
We must kindred spirits you and I.

I went to university to b ecome a teacher to appease family pressures, was fine with the academics but actually teaching is horrible and I hated every second of it.

Dropped out and am currently an assistant manager in a chain bakery, the pay is good, the hours are terrible, but it fills a gap while I find better things.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I bill charges to insurance companies for an MD and a psychotherapist, and do the accounting for co-pays/deductibles. I get to work at home sometimes, but it's as absolutely riveting and exciting as it sounds. As they say, there's mouths to feed though. Ideally I'd love to be able to make a decent income writing about video games or running a Youtube channel, either that or being a full-time musician. I can dream.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I own a company in supply chain management(logistics, warehousing, customs affaires, fiscal representation etc) for the chemical and pharmaceutical industry. Before that I had an import- export business in milksugar(lactose) and laxatives(both raw ingredients) for the Russian and Central Asian market. Unfortunately that went bust. My supplier was undercut by corporate competitors so my profit margins evaporated and to make it worse my biggest client stopped paying the bills(lost over 100k in just a few short months). A subsequent global rise of milksugar prices made me change focus to a different branch of business. Fortunately I was able to do that(or atleast make a start) using my former contacts.

I never liked school and I don't like a 9 to 5 job either so having always had a keen sense for business was the way to go. I started small with no more than a laptop, old cellphone and 15k in savings I earned from a crappy job. My logistics company I have since 2007 or so and is a pretty decent success with an annual increase in revenue of 20-25% The only downside is that the profit margins aren't as high as they were for my trading business. But well, atleast its sustainable. :p I'm already exploring opportunities to re-establish my former business though. Can't take too many risks with my logistics company considering people working for it have families to sustain(that includes a couple of relatives). I have..responsibilities now. :p

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I am HR guy. And this [http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/assets/news_articles/2012/06/1338564175_the-john-radcliffe-hospit-006.jpg] is my HR. She hires 11,000 people, and I have recruited over a thousand of them...it costs £100,000 to hire one consultant for one year.

oh my... WHO TOUCHED MY DESK?!

Doctors think they can outsmart me. Maybe, maybe. I am yet to meet one who can outsmart a P45.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Customer Service Advisor at a call centre which is just a fancy title for "phone answerer".Even better the section I work in deals with a fairly unpopular tax so I get to deal with lots of happy,polite customers.....no wait I meant to say pissed off,rude people

Oct 2, 2012
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
I make good money (few bucks more than minimum wage) considering I barely do any real work but its more or less a "baby's first job" thing. I was going to college to become a teacher to satisfy my family's wishes but then I remembered that I hated school and didn't want to be a teacher and dropped out.
Current plan is to schmooze my way up the ranks to become a GM of one of the stores and make a lot of money while doing even less work than I do now.

I went to university to b ecome a teacher to appease family pressures, was fine with the academics but actually teaching is horrible and I hated every second of it.

Dropped out and am currently an assistant manager in a chain bakery, the pay is good, the hours are terrible, but it fills a gap while I find better things.
Which teaching field were you studying for?
I was studying to become a History teacher.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:

Primary Education, so a bit of everything.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
I work a a board game cafe. but i spend most of my time reading and writing history.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
TheArcaneThinker said:
Seems there is a lot of good paying jobs here. As for myself, it varies month to month. Sometimes I luck out and get a bunch of logo designs back to back ($60 an hour, and sometimes the more complicated ones take forever) on top of my normal salary. I don't particularly worry about the money so much though, it's the benefits that makes it worth it. I get paid time off every major holiday (with Thanksgiving including black Friday, and Christmas including the day aft too), and two weeks paid vacation on top of that. Oh, and use of the 60 inch printers.

Oct 2, 2012
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:

I went to university to become a teacher to appease family pressures, was fine with the academics but actually teaching is horrible and I hated every second of it.

Ah I see. I was thinking of doing that but I realized I didn't want to deal with kids that young and the parents of those young kids.
I was aiming for secondary. At least I think thats what its called in your neck of the woods.
Are you looking to get into anything specific now or you just shopping around?

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
maninahat said:
I am HR guy. And this [http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/assets/news_articles/2012/06/1338564175_the-john-radcliffe-hospit-006.jpg] is my HR. She hires 11,000 people, and I have recruited over a thousand of them...it costs £100,000 to hire one consultant for one year.

oh my... WHO TOUCHED MY DESK?!

Doctors think they can outsmart me. Maybe, maybe. I am yet to meet one who can outsmart a P45.
...I wish this was Facebook so I could like this post a million times. Bravo sir, just bravo.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
The White Hunter said:
Beffudled Sheep said:

I went to university to become a teacher to appease family pressures, was fine with the academics but actually teaching is horrible and I hated every second of it.

Ah I see. I was thinking of doing that but I realized I didn't want to deal with kids that young and the parents of those young kids.
I was aiming for secondary. At least I think thats what its called in your neck of the woods.
Are you looking to get into anything specific now or you just shopping around?
No just anything that isn't retail. Retail is god awful. Especially food retail.

I've had the flu 4 times this year because customers are fuckign disgusting mouth breathers that sneeze and cough everywhere.