ESRB to Valve: Mind Your Fingers - UPDATED

andrat

Jan 14, 2009
obisean said:
Plinglebob said:
I doubt that ESRB care about the number of fingers, but more the fact that swearing of any kind is pretty much banned in any sort of advertising and the 2 finger gesture in Europe is fairly bad (not sure about the US though)
In the US it literally signals the number 2. We don't blow such things out of proportion here. There are very few gestures here that really piss us off.

EDIT: Or peace. It can signal peace.
Maybe ESRB is against peace
Did anyone ever think of that?

bigorexia

May 16, 2009
Just be glad we have the ESRB, it was either them or government intervention, and do you really want the government getting involved?

(Answers no btw)

I wish we could get beyond this silly rating system and just have come parental responsilibty. Watch what yours kids are playing parents!

.[B@lL15T1C].

Apr 15, 2009
obisean said:
Plinglebob said:
I doubt that ESRB care about the number of fingers, but more the fact that swearing of any kind is pretty much banned in any sort of advertising and the 2 finger gesture in Europe is fairly bad (not sure about the US though)
In the US it literally signals the number 2. We don't blow such things out of proportion here. There are very few gestures here that really piss us off.

blow out of proportion? what?

its just like the middle finger expression, but means 'fuck you'

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
obisean said:
Plinglebob said:

If the palm is facing outward (such as the Peace sign) then we have no problem with it. The story goes that it became offensive because they are the 2 fingers used to pull a longbow and the French would cut them off any british archers they captured. The British would then stick them up at the French to annoy them showing they still have the fingers and could still shoot.

The best comparison would be a company using a hand sticking its middle finger up and thinking thats acceptable.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Thumbs are OK becuase its not like we need them or anything but bite off the precious ring fingers and pinkie, oh no its suddenly a humongous no-no!

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
the two fingered salute as described above was invented by the english in medievil times. if the french caught an english longbowman, they cut off their index and middle fingers so they could not fire a bow. this led to at the start of any fight, the archers would all show the v sign to show insult to the french they were about to fire upon.

i (being born and living in the uk) do not and have never found this offensive in any way.

what puzzles me though, is the reason cited is that it looks like the missing fingers have been chewed/eaten off.
just like the thumb from the original then...?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Why is everyone complaining about the ESRB?

Granted this is stupid, but we need them. Their rating system is a major counter argument against many video game protesters.

Jul 9, 2008
Freakout456 said:
ESRB sucks I hate them just let games be games. But I do love how they rate some games they consider like people kissing as SEXUAL CONTENT and just a guy without a shirt is PARTIAL NUDITY and if someone is like paper cut it's BLOOD AND GORE finally if someone is like drinking beer it's USE OF ALCOHOL and USE OF DRUGS.
The ESRB is better than the alternative. At the moment, it's a voluntary organization, and it's somewhat reasonable. Get rid of it, and we get a state-run organization, who's likely to be more draconian and limit creative freedom more.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
the middle finger is another medievil invention. if you met the king, as a mark of respect, you would kiss his finger. although it was usually the finger he used for all the nasty things like scratching himself and picking his nose, use your imagination...

incidentally, i have never really found this offensive either.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
orannis62 said:
Freakout456 said:
ESRB sucks I hate them just let games be games. But I do love how they rate some games they consider like people kissing as SEXUAL CONTENT and just a guy without a shirt is PARTIAL NUDITY and if someone is like paper cut it's BLOOD AND GORE finally if someone is like drinking beer it's USE OF ALCOHOL and USE OF DRUGS.
The ESRB is better than the alternative. At the moment, it's a voluntary organization, and it's somewhat reasonable. Get rid of it, and we get a state-run organization, who's likely to be more draconian and limit creative freedom more.
Oh noes that would be bad

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
.[B@lL15T1C said:
.]
obisean said:
Plinglebob said:

American business always has to bite the bullet. When we go to Japan, we bow, give cards with two hands face up and towards them, etc, etc. When a person from Japan comes here, we bow, give cards with two hands face up and towards them, etc, etc. People always expect American business to conform to their standards of business, even when it comes to things like bribing, which is not always considered a terrible thing in other countries, even if it can get you arrested here. We have to find a way to do it on the books. In America, that symbol means nothing but good things, I'm sorry it means bad things to you, but to me it's the number 2 and the symbol for peace. Quit trying to shit on my parade, or get a game developer that develops in your country and will actually give a shit.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Plinglebob said:
obisean said:
Plinglebob said:

If the palm is facing outward (such as the Peace sign) then we have no problem with it. The story goes that it became offensive because they are the 2 fingers used to pull a longbow and the French would cut them off any british archers they captured. The British would then stick them up at the French to annoy them showing they still have the fingers and could still shoot.

The best comparison would be a company using a hand sticking its middle finger up and thinking thats acceptable.
If this is true then this all makes a lot more sense and is perfectly reasonable.

Jul 9, 2008
Freakout456 said:
orannis62 said:
Freakout456 said:
...was that sarcastic?

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
RikSharp said:
the two fingered salute as described above was invented by the english in medievil times. if the french caught an english longbowman, they cut off their index and middle fingers so they could not fire a bow. this led to at the start of any fight, the archers would all show the v sign to show insult to the french they were about to fire upon.

i (being born and living in the uk) do not and have never found this offensive in any way.

what puzzles me though, is the reason cited is that it looks like the missing fingers have been chewed/eaten off.
just like the thumb from the original then...?
Damn, I didn't realize how offensive this was in today's world. If it wasn't for all those French longbowmen they keep guarding the city today, I would be able to understand why they should just let such a stupid thing go.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
orannis62 said:
Freakout456 said:
orannis62 said:
Freakout456 said:
...was that sarcastic?
no it was serious that would suck if gaming would become policed....oh wait it is so MORE policed would suck

.[B@lL15T1C].

Apr 15, 2009
obisean said:
.[B@lL15T1C said:
.]
obisean said:
Plinglebob said:

American business always has to bite the bullet. When we go to Japan, we bow, give cards with two hands face up and towards them, etc, etc. When a person from Japan comes here, we bow, give cards with two hands face up and towards them, etc, etc. People always expect American business to conform to their standards of business, even when it comes to things like bribing, which is not always considered a terrible thing in other countries, even if it can get you arrested here. We have to find a way to do it off the books. In America, that symbol means nothing but good things, I'm sorry it means bad things to you, but to me it's the number 2 and the symbol for peace. Quit trying to shit on my parade, or get a game developer that develops in your country and will actually give a shit.

chill mate.

you just said there are negative gestures in US society, how is this any different? nice rant btw

Phlopsy

Nov 21, 2008
gof22 said:
Caliostro said:
Why does anyone even CARE about the retards at the ESRB? Why aren't we showing THEM the middle finger?

They're a completely useless entity. If anything they're a cancerous growth on the gaming world...
They were formed because there was no rating system for games back in the 80's and so a law was passed that required all games to have a ratings system on them.
No it wasn't. There is no law requiring ESRB ratings in the U.S., except a few state laws which have all been struck down through litigation. ESRB ratings are mandated through voluntarily-entered industry agreements.