ESRB to Valve: Mind Your Fingers - UPDATED

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
obisean said:
RikSharp said:
the two fingered salute as described above was invented by the english in medievil times. if the french caught an english longbowman, they cut off their index and middle fingers so they could not fire a bow. this led to at the start of any fight, the archers would all show the v sign to show insult to the french they were about to fire upon.

i (being born and living in the uk) do not and have never found this offensive in any way.

what puzzles me though, is the reason cited is that it looks like the missing fingers have been chewed/eaten off.
just like the thumb from the original then...?
Damn, I didn't realize how offensive this was in today's world. If it wasn't for all those French longbowmen they keep guarding the city today, I would be able to understand why they should just let such a stupid thing go.
lol, so true

garacius

Jun 16, 2009
So, considering that having the palm turned in whilst presenting the primary two digits is offensive, how about just have the palm turned out so it's now the victory symbol? That way it's no longer flipping the bird too the consumer and instead doing so too the zombies that think they can beat us (well, except those on expert the over-powered *****).

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
All this talk of gestures confuses me. I thought the Puritans were complaining that the fingers were bitten off.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I'm a firm believer of the "When in Rome..." quote. I personally find it offensive when I have to conform to your ethics when I'm in my own country. I made the reference to American business because that's what this is, a business call.

Now, if France made a game with just the middle finger poking up (let's pretend they see this as a good thing), most American's who even cared would more than likely just figure out why and be done with it. Some may go off on some stupid ***** fest out of ignorance, but, because of their ignorance they can be ignored.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Phlopsy said:
gof22 said:
Caliostro said:
Why does anyone even CARE about the retards at the ESRB? Why aren't we showing THEM the middle finger?

They're a completely useless entity. If anything they're a cancerous growth on the gaming world...
They were formed because there was no rating system for games back in the 80's and so a law was passed that required all games to have a ratings system on them.
No it wasn't. There is no law requiring ESRB ratings in the U.S., except a few state laws which have all been struck down through litigation. ESRB ratings are mandated through voluntarily-entered industry agreements.
I had the wrong information. I thought a law was passed but I guess not.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
orannis62 said:
The ESRB is better than the alternative. At the moment, it's a voluntary organization, and it's somewhat reasonable. Get rid of it, and we get a state-run organization, who's likely to be more draconian and limit creative freedom more.
The 1st Amendment will not allow the government to ban or restrict games based on their content. That's exactly WHY the ESRB is privately run and compliance is "voluntary."

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Plinglebob said:
If the palm is facing outward (such as the Peace sign) then we have no problem with it. The story goes that it became offensive because they are the 2 fingers used to pull a longbow and the French would cut them off any british archers they captured. The British would then stick them up at the French to annoy them showing they still have the fingers and could still shoot.

The best comparison would be a company using a hand sticking its middle finger up and thinking that's acceptable.
So if the British created the symbol to annoy the French, then why is it offensive in Britain?
Seems like France would have a much bigger problem with it. Also, the ESRB is American, so why would they have a problem with a symbol which is offensive overseas? Does not make much sense to me...

@ ESRB haters: It might seem stupid, but it actually does more good than bad. It's one of the reasons we don't have MORE of these stupid parent-sues-game-company-for-ruining-child cases. Smart parents know to at least read the rating, because otherwise they might not know that a game with a generic-sounding title (like Prototype, for example) is actually pretty violent.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
gmer412 said:
Plinglebob said:
If the palm is facing outward (such as the Peace sign) then we have no problem with it. The story goes that it became offensive because they are the 2 fingers used to pull a longbow and the French would cut them off any british archers they captured. The British would then stick them up at the French to annoy them showing they still have the fingers and could still shoot.

The best comparison would be a company using a hand sticking its middle finger up and thinking that's acceptable.
So if the British created the symbol to annoy the French, then why is it offensive in Britain?
Seems like France would have a much bigger problem with it. Also, the ESRB is American, so why would they have a problem with a symbol which is offensive overseas? Does not make much sense to me...

@ ESRB haters: It might seem stupid, but it actually does more good than bad. It's one of the reasons we don't have MORE of these stupid parent-sues-game-company-for-ruining-child cases. Smart parents know to at least read the rating, because otherwise they might not know that a game with a generic-sounding title (like Prototype, for example) is actually pretty violent.
If you can't figure out a game like Prototype is bloody just from the box art, I don't think the ESRB rating is going to do much.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Caliostro said:
Why does anyone even CARE about the retards at the ESRB? Why aren't we showing THEM the middle finger?

They're a completely useless entity. If anything they're a cancerous growth on the gaming world...
They care because their word is law. They are To videogames, what the mods are to this site.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
sylphmortem said:
obisean said:
Plinglebob said:
EDIT: Or peace. It can signal peace.
Not in england if the palm isn't facing your way.
What gmer412 said:

"... the ESRB is American, so why would they have a problem with a symbol which is offensive overseas?"

Why hasn't your (I forget the name) rating company gotten up in arms about it yet? Is it because they realize it is only signifying the number 2?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
First of all, American gamers should be thankful for the ESRB. The alternative, as others have pointed out, is far worse.

Second, with regards to English bowmen waving their fingers at the French, you missed the part about how English longbows were made from the strong, flexible wood of the yew, so as they waved their fingers at the French to demonstrate that they could still grasp and pull their bowstrings they also shouted "Pluck yew!"

(And I think you'll find that story has been thoroughly debunked.)

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
pimppeter2 said:
I don't understand. This game is rated M anyway, whats the big deal!
kids MIGHT see it thats why.

tbh ESRB are on the stuped side but its FAR better then a gov run body. I just love it when the BBFC decides there going to rate a game in the UK (BBFC ever1 knows what that looks like since its on all DVDs) and yet we also get an ESRB rating so pointless waste of black ink when printing the cover art.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
@ American ESRB: has anyone thought that they might just be ticked about the more noticeable chewed-off fingers? It's very unlikely, but it's possible that they just don't like the idea of a game being marketed this way.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
IGNORANT ESRB!

Thumb is not a finger!!

Those idiots are discriminating our thumbs and we are doing nothing!!

...now waiting for flames. xd