Evangeliowned

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
So the counter argument you are raising is that because of marketed products that fall outside the shows story line have some way of affecting that storyline? You should have taken the high road, but this is such horrible argument that one must simply pull a pin and watch it fall.

Aug 31, 2012
1337mokro said:
I think I can One Up everyone else here, if you known what it is, congratulations, you have spent enough time on the internet to lose most of your soul :)

If you want they have the other female types as well. Sadly ladies and gents no Shinji version.
Ok, I'll bite. What the fuck is it?

Also captcha: no means no...heh, captcha has been reading your post.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
canadamus_prime said:
Wait... people got upset over the previous comic? Really? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
People get upset over anything.

In fact, at this moment, people are getting upset over the fact that I said people get upset over anything.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Seeing Shinji smiling and being happy in that burger advertisement would be enough to make me check if I was sent to some kind of bizarre alternate reality.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Zykon TheLich said:
1337mokro said:
I think I can One Up everyone else here, if you known what it is, congratulations, you have spent enough time on the internet to lose most of your soul :)

If you want they have the other female types as well. Sadly ladies and gents no Shinji version.

Right now I can't decide if its a sex doll or some kind of ice tray for drink bottles. Could go either way on this one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Geez, is it a law that webcomic creators aren't allow to make joke/ stab at things they don't like? I pretty sure many webcomics out there have done something similar (not necessary toward an anime he/ she doesn't like).

Either way the more the merrier toward Evangelion gags (well ok not all the time as I do like to read the usualy stuff that goes on with Erin).

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
Zykon TheLich said:
1337mokro said:

Right now I can't decide if its a sex doll or some kind of ice tray for drink bottles. Could go either way on this one.
Considering it says something along the lines of "Link connected lotion" in the left bottom corner of the box, I'd say you're closer with the sex doll/toy theory. 0_0

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
The whole "We aren't taking the high road" was perfect. Wearing the kitty slippers with that outfit was downright hysterical.

KeikakuKat

Feb 10, 2011
Oh man, I love you guys.

I'm not a fan of Evangelion, and my brother outright hates it, so I'm sure he'll laugh at this too.

I DO own a hugging pillow of a certain character from Madoka Magica though, so I feel like I don't have the right to criticize EVA in that regard. Lots of anime have those, actually.
Still, this is funny.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I kind of expected this comic to be making fun of the comment I made, but making fun of excessive merchandising is always nice.

Even so Last week joke was still disgusting and you should feel bad for it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Right, thats it!! I'm buying me an Asuka love pillow. It gets cold up north you see....and lonely.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
TheFinalFantasyWolf said:
Gordon_4 said:
Zykon TheLich said:
1337mokro said:

Considering it says something along the lines of "Link connected lotion" in the left bottom corner of the box, I'd say you're closer with the sex doll/toy theory. 0_0
You are indeed very warm with the last guess.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
...I don't get it?

No, seriously, I don't get what this strip was supposed to be about. I didn't see all that many people blasting the last strip because "OMG Evangelion is teh deep!" or anything. I just remember myself and a few others commenting that it relied on the oldest Eva punchline going, one you guys had already used once.

And anyways, what isn't marketed and merchandised these days? I'm not going to criticise the themes of society and chaos in The Dark Knight just because Christian Bale was slapped on a few lunchboxes. I'm not going to ignore the genius of the first few Alien films just because they spawned a media franchise. Stuff gets popular, it gets merchandised.
The fact that fans talk about how deep it is, but it's used to sell Doritos, fast food and body pillows.

A poor line of argument, but considering it is satire, and the comic mentions they aren't taking the high road, I doubt many will take it seriously. It's meant for humour after all.

Like me, you also didn't see a lot of people apparently using "You don't get it, it's deep" as a response either. The way people are reacting, I half expected to see the comments section was akin to the Bioware forums after Mass Effect 3 was released. I looked back and read them today and am still unsure on what the hell people are talking about.

Although, I do find it kind of funny that so many people are commenting about how great it is to rip on NGE and the fans, when I'd say it is very likely that Grey is actually a fan of the show himself.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
You know, I think Grey is taking all the outrage, and I just can't have that. So, I would like to advance the theory that NGE is the Call of Duty of the anime industry. Think about it, it's a shallow work of 'art' that tries to seem deep and serious and meaningful, but it's about as easy to figure out as 2+2=4. Both never seems to die no matter how many times it gets made and remade. Both seem to be some kind of standard that all others in its genre are compared against, and genuinely interesting and better shows/games end up receiving relatively little press and praise despite their quality because they're up against this massive, overhyped, overrated drivel.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah, same as last time, while I definitely LOVE EVANGELION, I have to 100% AGREE with Grey's point, here. Watching (and buying) the original series, the director's cut, and the two End of Eva movies was all fine and good. However, the further spates of remakes after that definitely began to feel more "cash-cow" driven as opposed to trying to push any sort of deep philosophical meaning. You get it the first couple of times; the deep meaning being Eva is loneliness and lose. The deep meaning behind the further mass commercialization of Eva is "Give me all yo' money!". As an artist, if you want to preserve the mystique and deep hidden meaning of your work (spawning innumerable mental masturbation sessions, fan-fiction, and other derivative works from others to elevate you to the status of creative genius), you need to know when to quit while your ahead (learn from Lucas and his damnable midichlorians).