EVE Online Geniuses Blow Up Six Years of Game Time

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
PxDn Ninja said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I love EVE for thing like this. The lack of moderation is actually a feature. If someone hacked and stole someone's stuff in WoW there would be mod wrath and bans (in an ideal word). In EVE it's part of the game.
If you hack or anything in Eve you get the slap down as well, just like any other game, but unlock a game like Wow, where if you fall for a scam or just do something stupid, Eve will not help you if you are an idiot, only if a game mechanic actually fails to behave as intended. Nothing in this story did not work as intended, thus legal play.
Of course you can't hack in EVE without trouble, but if someone steals your stuff in game it's your own fault for not keeping a good hold on it. Are there Police in EVE?

spartan_0214

Apr 26, 2009
You make the pirates out to be the bad guys. Clearly you need to play more EVE. Flying PLEX in a kestrel, while one of the better ships to transport PLEX, is really asking for it. When you fly a ship in EVE, you have to remember one thing: EVE: Everyone Versus Everyone.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Asehujiko said:
So basically a griefer can now directly attack your playtime? That's a fucking retarded concept.
But only if you haven't got round to redeeming or trading it yet. And, as everyone else said, who the hell carries around 73 months worth of game time and not expect to be a prime target for theves. It's a bit like walking around in a coat made out of working iPhones. Never mind the fact that the duo attacked because they were at war with his/her faction.

And if you don't want to risk your play time, you can buy and redeem old-school game time codes the old-fashed way: via shops and the game's site.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
versoth said:
it might be better next time to do a quick Google search for loot drop rules in EVE.
... seriously? You want me to learn about loot drop rules in EVE so I can be sure I'm zinging the right people?

Keep making suggestions like that and I'll start making fun of you.

Most of us don't play EVE and we're not sufficiently interested to care about how things specifically work or who is responsible for one particular kind of silliness or another. From an outsider's perspective, these guys took a shot at a shitload of PLEX (I just about called it FLEX again) and came out with the short end of the stick. Maybe it's not entirely their fault but it's an amusing story and the "nice shooting" is nothing more than an amusing zing to cap it off.

I actually appreciate you explaining to everyone how it works because my assumption was that they just blew it. And I think that's pretty typical of EVE, there's always so much intrigue taking place that things are rarely as simple as they seem.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
now that is the EVE i know and love! to ability to lose real money! but man getting popped in HIGH Sec really sux! XD

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Andy Chalk said:
Had somebody actually BOUGHT that PLEX? Couldn't the buyer sue Eve for paying for a service and not recieving it?
Ehh, no. Pretty much any in-game item has zero value after purchuse, and the aforementioned HTFU video applies in this case.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hah next time the poor schmuck will transport the stuff in a ship that wont get insta popped in High Sec!

WolfSchwarzMond

Aug 8, 2008
IMO this article has it wrong. The idiot was not the one the fired, it was the MORON that moved 22billion isk worth of game time in a lightly armored easy to kill ship, in the the middle of a damn war. Or is that what we're meant to think?

Given the backstabbing nature of many eve players this may have been planned to hurt a Corp or alliance. It could even be a plan to work the Market Economy. We just don't know at this point. But I feel the author missed the point of this event, and wrote this from the wrong side

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Delusibeta said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Andy Chalk said:
Had somebody actually BOUGHT that PLEX? Couldn't the buyer sue Eve for paying for a service and not recieving it?
Ehh, no. Pretty much any in-game item has zero value after purchuse, and the aforementioned HTFU video applies in this case.
Also, whoever bought it did indeed receive it. It was just lost again. And it was a funny story and one that yet again makes me wish I played the damn game.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Asehujiko said:
So basically a griefer can now directly attack your playtime? That's a fucking retarded concept.
I have to agree, this is ridiculous. If the owner of that PLEX or Isk or space dollars or whatever keeps playing after this, then he's a shoe-in for the Darwin Awards.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
CCP, I love you. Can't wait to hear what you're going to do with WOD. Here's hoping there's at least a server where this sort of thing is possible.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Woodsey said:
Haha, hilarious!

I love the stories that come out of EVE: I remember reading about a corporation that spent 6 months infiltrating another, getting people in place at every tier in the corp, before finally getting the chance to attack the head of it who had a one-of-a-kind ship and a lot of money. An attack which they launched using a single word or phrase throughout every member of their corporation.

Some people just have too much time on their hands.
Yeah, but they did corporate espionage and *got away with it* in spectacular fashion. You have to admit that the badass quotient outweighs the time a little bit ;).

OT: Bwhahahahaha. Although, who the hell parks a ship with 74 plexes in it in the middle of space? That borders on clinically retarded.