Even the Floor Hates the New Dante

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
everyone knows bayonetta was the better dante anyways

Seriously tho, DMC took a dive after the first one, to the point where they ditched the main character... and the best game of that style and substance was made by a completely different company with a completely different--female--character.

Change it up, for fuck sake it needs it.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
WHOOOSH! INCEPTION!

Okay...I'm not even sure what's going on. NT better come up with a good story to make up for this alternate reality and how it ties up with the original story. Because right now, it's not making any sense to me. Yes, I know the game isn't out yet so it's normal we're all confused. But...I'm just saying.

I'll admit the game looks okay so far. And I am oh-so trying my best to ignore the new look but...whenever I look at Dante's dumb haircut, I just can't contain myself. I don't care if he has black hair, it's the haircut that bothers me. If he had a cooler hairdo...well, I don't know. If I compare the original Dante with this one, well, even if this new Dante was way more badass and stuff, the haircut still wouldn't do it for me.

..If only this game was named anything but DMC, it would be a highly expected game. But...it's not.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
1. Who the hell was that? He's Dante? He looks so...normal...kind of...boring...
2. The combo counter must be gettin' really high. That last one looked like it hurt.
3. The scenery looks nice. Has color. That's always a plus.
4. Dante's not as cocky as he was before. Sad face.
5. Really, why does he look like that? Who was the brainchild behind his new look?
6. Where's the chick? Did she just float away? Is this a virtual world or something?
7. WHY DOES DANTE LOOK LIKE THAT?! DX

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
FieryTrainwreck said:
For those of you who haven't seen it, there's video out there of the new Dante in devil trigger form (or whatever they're calling it now). His hair turns white and his coat turns red. Kinda puts a damper on all the hate.
OutrageousEmu said:
I've often wondered how trivial a change a designer could make to a character to have people say they were ruined forever.

DMC fans have set a new record, claiming that the series is ruined because Dante now has black hair.
Urgh....Ok, look, I'm sick of having to explain that the reason people got pissed isn't just "DURP! THEY CHANGED HIS HAIR AND COAT!" So, just read this and you'll get why people got mad: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/7475/1320195833245.jpg

It wasn't just about the hair. I might more or less no longer be paying attention to "The adventures of Angry Kevin" here but i just thought i should point out that there were more reasons then just the character appearance.

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
Color me interested. It looks like fun, I think. And Ninja Theory is known for its textured characters and beautiful level designs (I'm going off critics, here, since I never played one of their games). The combat looks pretty repetitive, though, but the level design is cool. I don't have an attachment to the old Dante, and this one seems like he has a good voice actor, with a buddy dynamic that might not be annoying.

Still too damn early.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
I've often wondered how trivial a change a designer could make to a character to have people say they were ruined forever.

DMC fans have set a new record, claiming that the series is ruined because Dante now has black hair.
Yes, because its all about the hair color, not the 30FPS cap, not that the developer has said the old combat system shouldn't be used and changed it to a floaty buttonmasher, and certainly not because Ninja Theory has yet to make a game that has good, solid combat when DMC has always been about the combat.

I'm just gonna get the HD collection and then wait on whatever Platinum makes since if anything Bayonetta has been more of a successor to DMC than DmC looks like it'll be.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
DracoSuave said:
everyone knows bayonetta was the better dante anyways

Seriously tho, DMC took a dive after the first one, to the point where they ditched the main character... and the best game of that style and substance was made by a completely different company with a completely different--female--character.

Change it up, for fuck sake it needs it.
Or do what 3 did.
- Add more Depth to the Character
- Made it more challenging
- Better Environments
- Very Discreet Backtracking
- Better and well designed enemies that come by the thousands
- Put Villains in the game that people actually CARE ABOUT!!

Seriously. Vergil and Mundus were the only villains anyone cared about and the only reason Mundus was relevant was because he was the Devil.

Finally Bayonetta was a game that just felt so anti-climactic in its storytelling that you honestly didn't know WTF happened even after several playthroughs.
Sorry Kamiya, but storytelling is not your strong suit

DMC 1 had a good premise for its time, but is overly cliche'd considering it was supposed to be a Resident Evil Spin Off

DMC 2 was alright in its story about a man trying to become the Devil, but copied #1's formula of creating a woman to lure in Dante (Learn from your past mistakes idiot)

DMC 3 sort of copied 2's story with another Human wishing to be like the Devil, only he's aiding Dante's Evil Twin who's hellbent on achieving ultimate power. (Strongest story out of the two, even with it's many cliches)

DMC 4's story is basically DMC 1 mixed with 2 with a new kid who dresses a little too closely to Dante. Only Difference is that the villain achieves ultimate power and poses as God

This new DmC while thank god it's an alternate universe strangely has one of the more interesting story premises. Guy can go in and out of limbo where Demons are constantly hunting him down (Cough BAYONETTA Cough) and he's aided by a chick who I swear reminds me of something you find in the nearest BDSM and Hot Topic Dumpster labeled with hundreds of Dead Kennedy Stickers "Ironically".

Still this is Ninja Theory and with less enemies and even less frantic combat I can anticipate this game on being a cross between Ninja Gaiden and God of War.....cept with LOADS LESS ENEMIES.
And no style meter!?!
WTF!? The whole point of that style meter is for not just instant gratification, but for helping evaluate a player throughout the mission which is a staple of the DMC series.
The fact that a Capcom game is not grading you on your performance is quite disturbing and somewhat disappointing.

After all I didn't just juggle five enemies in mid-air while switching between a Bazooka Briefcase, a Katana and two pistols coupled with gauntlets just to have the game look away and go, "OK They're Dead"

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:

I think it's more along the lines of the Smug Arrogant Jackass who deemed himself "cool" enough that he actually designed the Character in his own Image.

There are just levels of Self-Insertion you just don't cross.

But whatever.

[HEADING=2]Coming in 2012[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]Little Nicky May Cry[/HEADING]

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I thought the escape trailer looked pretty cool, now all they have to do is change the name away from a series it clearly is not and I'll be interested.

EDIT: Damn, I thought people were joking when they said the lead designer designed the character to look like himself. Now I probably won't get the game just out of disgust.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Grey Carter said:
Denariax said:
I kinda fail to see the logic with some of the complaints; primarily the 30FPS, as to my knowledge, the original didn't even work on 60FPS. And if it did it cut out a lot of what the game was about (The combat) by making the enemies less frequent and rather boring. Don't get me wrong, I still love the games, but I'm thinking this may be my favorite solely BECAUSE it's working on 30FPS. Means more enemies to slice through, and honestly thats all I want.
Actually all of the previous games ran at 60FPS and, with the exception of 2, threw out more enemies at once because of the PS2's simpler shading.
So I'm guessing by that statement, there will be less enemies on screen and less frantic combat!?

Eeeeeeeeeeehhh. Sad thing is that this game feels TOO much like Devil May Cry 4 again if we got the chance to explore more of the city section with a few added elements of M.C. Escher.

Color me skeptical, but what I wanted to change in Devil May Cry was more enemies thereby increasing my chances to pull off better combos at a faster pace rather than look like I'm playing the male counter-part to Heavenly Sword.

*Sigh* I'll buy it, but I can more than likely tell that I may end up returning it. Probably should just stick with renting it.
Actually your first statement is correct, you will get less enemies and the combat won't be as frantic, and if you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, play this combat video alongside a combat video of either DMC1 or 3, and you'll notice a big difference (mainly that one appears fast paced and the other slow and sluggish).

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Warachia said:
I thought the escape trailer looked pretty cool, now all they have to do is change the name away from a series it clearly is not and I'll be interested.

EDIT: Damn, I thought people were joking when they said the lead designer designed the character to look like himself. Now I probably won't get the game just out of disgust.

Almost as bad as Adam Jensen from Deus Ex Human Revolution

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Combat looks kinda slow but at least they got rid of that kill cam interrupting you every minute BS. The shifting environments look visually impressive, but not only don't I not feel the "threat" it looks pretty boring to actually play. Also the writing on the ground is the definition of trying too hard to be edgy.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
The concept art was TERRIBLE but this? This is ok! He doesnt look like a crack addict! He just looks younger and a little douchier, thats actually fine :D Impressed actually. Combat looks a bit stale but twas an opening demo so eh, maybe it will improve later. Ill be interested to give this a shot actually. Loved DMC 3, almost finished on hard mode. Might pick it up later.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Well, the platforming looks overly simplistic and kind of boring, but then again it is a Ninja Theory game...
The combat looks less broken than their last two attempts, but I'm worried that the enemies still don't seem to be doing nearly as much as they did in the original Devil May Cry. I realize that these are pretty basic enemies we're seeing in the trailer, but they just don't look like they pose enough of a threat to be interesting and I'm not seeing enough variety in the combat on display for working through waves of easy grunts to be any fun.

What really worries me, however, is the writing. I don't really care what they do with the character design as long as he still looks silly (which he does), but the generic stoic-action-hero dialog is really off-putting to me. I'd be okay with them departing from the high-camp of the original as long as they kept some spark of liveliness or personality in the character, but I'm not seeing any. And before someone says "it's just the trailer, it will be different in the game", I would just like to say that that is exactly the kind of thing that trailers exist to show off. If the trailer can't give me something as basic as an accurate idea of the protagonists personality, it is a bad trailer and the people who made it should feel ashamed of themselves.

I just hope this isn't a "new take" on DMC the same way Enslaved was a "new take" on Journey to the West. As a fan of Chinese literature I am still incredibly bitter about the complete absence of anything resembling the Monkey King (you know, the most recognizable part of the original story? The character who's been incredibly popular with children throughout east asia for centuries?).

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Shark Wrangler said:
Are you guys judging something that isn't even out yet, what are nerds from the future.
You may wanna look up and study the word 'speculation'. Amazingly enough, it's actually a pretty common phenomenon.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Shark Wrangler said:
Hobonicus said:
Shark Wrangler said:
Are you guys judging something that isn't even out yet, what are nerds from the future.
You may wanna look up and study the word 'speculation'. Amazingly enough, it's actually a pretty common phenomenon.
You might want to keep your opinions about something you no nothing about to yourself. Your not on the development team, nor do you have access to a early copy. You know I am familiar with the word, who isn't. I am just sick of people bitching about something that they are probably going to buy when it comes out. It seems like trailors are just an excuse for nerds to make a thread and then cut the game that they have not played to ribbons.
You don't like it, then ignore it.

The world doesn't conform to your standards.
You know what I'm sick of? People bitching about people bitching and then assuming that they know what they are going to do.

You're not me, nor do you know me.

You might want to keep your opinions about something you no nothing about to yourself.