Even the Floor Hates the New Dante

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I will give these trailers one thing, the music. Or at least the combat trailer, being a Combichrist fan makes me give them props on using 'Never Surrender' in a video where it works. Too bad they didn't use 'Never Surrender(Remix by MELT)' rather than the original since the remix is so much better.

Still not liking the new look.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Nightmarish platform elements with a dynamic changing level that expresses its hate for you?

That's probably worth discussing NO WE CAN'T DANTE HAS A HAIRCUT.

People take DMC way too seriously. As in, they take it seriously at all.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I love how random pieces of masonry insult you along the way. Also that platform that keeps moving away with camera tilting left/right at the end of the first video is really impressive (if a bit nauseating). I foresee many motion sickness warnings :D

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Even if every fan was hating on the platform design when Dante's trying to escape the buildings.. I must say that was seriously legit. Looks epic, amazing, and I loved how they made it look like the world was out to get you.

Except my only complaint was that they never seemed like a threat. I wish there were buildings almost crushing you or you'd get hurt a bit to actually think, "Oh crap, the buildings ARE able to kill me. Best to avoid- CRAP barely dodged that spiked building."

Also I miss Dante's look. His new one in this game makes me sort of frown, but... heck, it's trying to do something new so props to it. If every character stayed the same for generations then it'd get boring honestly. Glad it's mixed up especially considering the past to be the case.
What's this? A rational opinion? About the new Devil May Cry? Are you sure you're a human?

Honestly, the only thing I can say in response to all of the "IT LOOKS SO BORING" and "I HATE THE NEW DANTE" comments (going even so far as to passive aggressively hate on the new aesthetic? DEVIL MAY CRY WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE "SCARY"! The first one was about as "scary" as it ever got, 3 and 4 were basically weird carnival rides and even "fans" consider 2 to be absolute crap. But Dante looked like Dante in that one, so what's your excuse?) is this:

Also, most console games these days run at 30 FPS anyway. I bought Arkham City for the PS3 on release and played through it, and I've recently been going through the PC version and I can definitely feel the difference between the 30 FPS cap and 60 FPS. However, I don't really believe that a 30 FPS cap would render the game unplayable. It could certainly account for why people are thinking the combat looks slower, though.

Oh, actually, one more thing.

How is this:

Not any worse than this:

If this were any other game series in existence (see: Metal Gear Solid), the first image would be shouted off by fans for the character to go back to whatever jRPG he crawled out of. If they hadn't called him "Dante", would any of you actually have an issue with the character? Yes, fine, he doesn't look exactly like old Dante. But how does that automatically ruin the game? Michael Gambon doesn't look exactly like Richard Harris, but that didn't exactly ruin the Harry Potter movies, now did it?

Sonic Doctor said:
Then it is rather stupid that they are calling it Devil May 5. If it is alternate universe than it is a new franchise altogether.

Why not call it Devil May Cry: Alternate, or Devil May Cry: New Beginnings, or DMC: New Universe DMC:NU for short.

The five will make new people think it belongs with the other four games.
-------------

With how stupid and awful Capcom has been getting with it's games and ideas, I think it is time they just went away or somebody buys them out and guts out all the morons that seem to be running the company.
They're not calling it Devil May Cry 5. In fact, I don't think they have even released an official title for it. It's being called "DmC: Devil May Cry". I think that fits quite nicely into your alternate title bracket. And Capcom has always been stupid and awful with ideas, just making fairly silly and solid games out of them. Resident Evil is one of their most-grounded-in-serious titles, and even that is silly and over-the-top. You can't tell me that Megaman, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Marvel vs. Capcom (which had Phoenix Wright of all characters added to it), Dino Crisis, Monster Hunter, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Bionic Commando, Ghosts N' Goblins, and Viewtiful Joe are actually meant to not be silly and over-the-top franchises?

Ugh. I told myself the last time a DmC trailer popped up that I was going to just ignore all of the future ones. I'm going to hold true to that this time because nothing is going to make the stubborn "fans" think that the franchise isn't ruined FOREVER!!!!! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER]

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I really don't understand the hate.

It looks stylish and fresh, they HAVE announced it is not within the same universe and kinda serves has a prequel, the movement and combat seems fluid and cool.

So the teenage dante has a punk look. That's the reason why you hate this.... really?... either people have weird standarts or they are really
stupid

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I'm perfectly happy with the new Dante. I guess I miss grey, long hair a little. But I can get over it.

Jun 11, 2008
I like how half the people don't know it is supposed to be set in a different universe and serves as an alternate origin story to DMC. Anyway the only problem I have with the new character is the whole Angel/Demon thing and as I do know it is a retcon it just doesn't seem to fit in the general theme of the universe to me.

Combat wise while I am not happy about the 30FPS limit it won't make the game unplayable just slow and sluggish which isn't exactly a good thing. I am also not liking the idea of the new Devil Trigger where you need to stay airborne and whole move towards a Nero style combat. I was kinda hoping that would stay unique to Nero and let Dante have his own style.

Although you have to love people complaining about fans and bringing up an argument/opinion they like as someone having sense on the internet. I'm sure no one here has ever complained about new editions to a series except it was completely justified. The fans are the bread and butter of something it does not make sense to alienate the people who otherwise will buy. Whether or not this does this remains to be seen but that should be noted.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The world looks awesome, freakishly moving like that!
Dante, however, looks like a mega twat; puke!!! :(

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
That is one angry floor! Did somebody not get it's second coat of wax~?

So after thinking about this, even though I don't like Dante's new design, I will give it a try and buy this game. Can't judge a book by it's cover! Right?

Sep 24, 2008
We like things because of a feel. How is CoD different than BF? A lot of you will cite reasons, but at the root of it... each game just has a different feel to you. That's not wrong. Liking and supporting something is based on opinion. Facts are what you use to justify to someone else why you do. But your gut tells you this one or that one.

When I look at this Dante, I feel like I'm looking at the Chinese rip-off of it (too soon?). When I look at the combat and don't see a ranking system... I don't know WHY I won't just spam one move that will do the job. Yes, it was fun to do insane weapon switch combos in 3, but most importantly my style meter went up. The game was rewarding me for being bad ass. Now, it feels like the game is ignoring me because I look like a prat.

Lastly, those people complaining about us not liking the look of the new Dante and how we need to get over ourselves... I agree. Why don't you show us the way by going outside, finding what you consider an unattractive member of the gender of your persuasion, and start lusting after that person because it shouldn't matter what they look like.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
I honestly can't tell the difference between the 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

You know, just once, I'd like to see enemies permanently crippled if not dead when a sword goes RIGHT THROUGH THEIR BODY ONCE.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
I'm not a huge DMC fan but I do enjoy the series. I'll be keeping an eye out on this. I'm rather fond of Dante's original style and am ambiguous to this new one but, ultimately, it's the combat that's going to decide things for me. If they manage to add a great story to it, even better.

I just feel this new Dante lacks visual character. Hate him or not, you can spot the old Dante a mile away. Same thing with any iconic character. It's not just familiarity but also identifying traits. This guy looks like an average joe, and that's fine, but Dante is not an average joe.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
Totally going against the stream on this one. I like the new design, and I honestly couldn't care less about the framerate. The game looks good enough for me. I also dig the more varied aerial combos. We should all try to return to the days of child-like wonder when we first discovered in DMC 1 that you could toss enemies into the air and shoot to keep them airborne. How cool was that?

EDIT- Reading through the thread properly, I noticed a 50-50 between haters and lovers. Guess my "going against the stream" comment was a bit uncalled for.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I love how all the so called lovers of this series are freaking out about the fact they changed his look yet had nothing to say about just how bloody boring number 4 was... ooooooooh the same bosses BUT BACKWARDS!!! And I liked DMC2!!!

Dantes main visual traits were white hair, red coat, big sword... and belts, not exactly original due to how simple each individual piece was. I did still like him though as he was an absolute mug but was so powerful he refused to die. You know if he acted like that without his powers he would have died years ago but his Demon jojo kept him tap dancing on torpedos!

Dante: "LOOK HOW AWESWOME I AM"

Me: "Yeah... alright Dan, lol."

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Denariax said:
I kinda fail to see the logic with some of the complaints; primarily the 30FPS, as to my knowledge, the original didn't even work on 60FPS. And if it did it cut out a lot of what the game was about (The combat) by making the enemies less frequent and rather boring. Don't get me wrong, I still love the games, but I'm thinking this may be my favorite solely BECAUSE it's working on 30FPS. Means more enemies to slice through, and honestly thats all I want.
Actually all of the previous games ran at 60FPS and, with the exception of 2, threw out more enemies at once because of the PS2's simpler shading.
So I'm guessing by that statement, there will be less enemies on screen and less frantic combat!?

Eeeeeeeeeeehhh. Sad thing is that this game feels TOO much like Devil May Cry 4 again if we got the chance to explore more of the city section with a few added elements of M.C. Escher.

Color me skeptical, but what I wanted to change in Devil May Cry was more enemies thereby increasing my chances to pull off better combos at a faster pace rather than look like I'm playing the male counter-part to Heavenly Sword.

*Sigh* I'll buy it, but I can more than likely tell that I may end up returning it. Probably should just stick with renting it.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
PunkRex said:
I love how all the so called lovers of this series are freaking out about the fact they changed his look yet had nothing to say about just how bloody boring number 4 was... ooooooooh the same bosses BUT BACKWARDS!!! And I liked DMC2!!!

Dantes main visual traits were white hair, red coat, big sword... and belts, not exactly original due to how simple each individual piece was. I did still like him though as he was an absolute mug but was so powerful he refused to die. You know if he acted like that without his powers he would have died years ago but his Demon jojo kept him tap dancing on torpedos!

Oh don't get me wrong. I couldn't STAND DMC4. It was just a cop-out fan service to deliver a half-assed finished game and then give us a taste of Dante at the end.
This game feels too much like DMC4 again only with less frantic combat and even less enemies...

Secondly the Half Angel and Half Demon idea just sounds like something you'd see on fanfiction.net

Then again Ninja Theory is worse at telling a compelling and potent story than Capcom.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Madara XIII said:
PunkRex said:

Oh don't get me wrong. I couldn't STAND DMC4. It was just a cop-out fan service to deliver a half-assed finished game and then give us a taste of Dante at the end.
This game feels too much like DMC4 again only with less frantic combat and even less enemies...

Secondly the Half Angel and Half Demon idea just sounds like something you'd see on fanfiction.net

Then again Ninja Theory is worse at telling a compelling and potent story than Capcom.
You just made me think of Little Nikki.

Dante: "Say my name, say Mr.Beefy, say it, say it."
Lady: *sigh* "Mr.Beefy"
Dante: Aaaaaand I love you.