Even the Floor Hates the New Dante

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
katsabas said:
TheDooD said:
katsabas said:
I really, really like the concept of the city being out for your blood. I only wish it wasn't like Uncharted. I want to go up against buildings trying to flatten me. I am sort of looking forward to the game.

They have to take this further. Give me an entire demonized Empire State Buliding to fight, damn it!
That was in DMC2 and that boss was badass. Hell people just didn't notice quite a few of DMC2 bosses were extremely badass just limited to the PS2's current power and also AI coding knowledge.

Hell I want my HD DMC2 with updated Combat controls for Dante, Lucia and Trish.
Oh, riiiiight. That giant monster thing that came out of a building on which Dante fought a helicopter. What was its name, Nefasturis ?

I've thought since I first saw this game that it is reminiscent of DMC2. Strange move, Capcom disowned that game

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Haakong said:
Say what you will about new Dante, but his initial reaction to the crushing buildings is the most honest one Ive seen in a game for a while :D
Although the games aren't made by the same dev, seems characters like this have a knack for honest reactions to things in game - comparing that to Bayonetta's reaction to turning into that panther-like creature for the first time...:)

Anyway, as for the combat, I'm guessing what we're seeing here are the basic cannon fodder enemies. Chances are there will be more later that can't be simply defeated by pulling them n close then beating them down, Nero style...

But yeh, the girl kindly "marking" the way out for Dante - couldn't she just have said "the window"? Though you think Dante would have been able to figure that out by himself.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Yopaz said:
So I am on of those who didn't jump on the bandwagon and hate this game before any information was released about it. Now that I see these trailers it looks like I should have joined sooner...
The graphics just doesn't fit the dark theme a DMC game is supposed to have and the combat looked quite boring. It's still a bit too soon to judge, but it doesn't look too good right now...
Yes, it is too soon.

Did you play Devil May Cry 4? It starts out bright and colorful, and gets darker as the game progresses. You can't judge the entire game's atmosphere by one environment.

Let us not forget Devil May Cry 2, where everything was so dark you could barely even see the environments most of the time. The muddy environments were one of the worst parts of that game. (Devil May Cry 3 is guilty of this as well, to a lesser extent.)

Now, if you had said that the environment doesn't seem very gothic, I could agree with that. The castle in the original Devil May Cry was just awesome, and I don't think that atmosphere has ever been repeated in the series.

The combat looks pretty standard for Devil May Cry so far. Maybe that's the problem, it's not enough of a change to be really wow-ing.

Personally, I'm going to keep my mind open about the reboot. So far, my biggest complaint is that now that the reboot is being called DMC, so when talking about the previous games I have to spell out Devil May Cry to avoid ambiguity. Pain in the ass.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Dead_Lee said:
katsabas said:
TheDooD said:
katsabas said:
I really, really like the concept of the city being out for your blood. I only wish it wasn't like Uncharted. I want to go up against buildings trying to flatten me. I am sort of looking forward to the game.

They have to take this further. Give me an entire demonized Empire State Buliding to fight, damn it!
That was in DMC2 and that boss was badass. Hell people just didn't notice quite a few of DMC2 bosses were extremely badass just limited to the PS2's current power and also AI coding knowledge.

Hell I want my HD DMC2 with updated Combat controls for Dante, Lucia and Trish.
Oh, riiiiight. That giant monster thing that came out of a building on which Dante fought a helicopter. What was its name, Nefasturis ?

I've thought since I first saw this game that it is reminiscent of DMC2. Strange move, Capcom disowned that game
I thought a lot of Devil May Cry 2's bosses and enemies were really cool, but it was held back by more than just the AI and graphics. The level design was flat and boring, the combat was less stylish and more button mashy than the original, and it was so dark that you could hardly ever tell what was going on.

If you could fix those problems, then Devil May Cry 2 would be quite good. Personally, I wonder what ever happened to desperation DT, though perhaps I shouldn't, since I hardly ever used it and only discovered it by accident.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Are you ready for your two minutes hate, citizen?
Hi hello there reference...

As for the topic... That's not Dante. That's my biggest complaint. It's not Dante. It never will be Dante unless they take it out and put in Dante. You can complain about Dante's character design, you could even say the new DMC simply had a new character, I'd be ok with that, but THAT, is not Dante.

Other than that, the complaint that "this isn't scary" seems a bit misguided to me. DMC never felt scary. It's very hard to be scared when the main character is by far the scariest thing in any room he goes through... And Dante was nothing if not a walking genocide.

30 FPS... Well it's not optimal, but hey, if they can do something useful with it 30 FPS is hardly unplayable (though not as smooth as 60, no doubt). Over all though, I can see some potential, but a lot of it feels either stale or uncharacteristic of DMC. When you change pretty much everything though, you gotta ask yourself, why even call it the same game?

2 days late ftw.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Makes me think of Prince of Persia 2008... a game I actually LIKED.

But in the fighting trailer OH LAWD THAT SOUNDTRACK PLEASE KILL IT

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
it looks like fun the new Dante not so but I,m pretty sure some modder is going to make a classic Dante replacement.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
I'll take new skinny, emo front-man Dante over the old insufferable tool Dante any day. I've never liked the series because I've always hate-hate-haaaaated Dante as a character (personality, design, everything), but I might actually give this a try.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
You could use any other motivation and it would be less cliche. You could say he hates demons because they took his Bar Mtzvah money, and it would be easier to take Dantes motivations seriously.
That actually sounds like a fantastic idea

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Warachia said:
OutrageousEmu said:
His place as a half demon who is out to kill them doesn't matter, then?

Okay, a good reboot that takes absolutely nothing from the previous? Conkers Bad Fur Day. A complete reboot of the character and the series.
Excuse me while I call BULLSHIT. Conkers bad fur day was a sequel to a gameboy game on an entirely different system, it might have changed themes, it didn't suddenly make Conker half alien or switch to focus entirely on the weaker aspects of the game.

That bit about Dante being half demon is still there, but now for some reason he's also half angel, removing any trace of the original character who was always proud of his humanity, and who started a demon hunting business because his human mother was killed by them.

Obviously the games aren't lauded for their story, but that's one of the first things you learn in the first game, and ignoring it shows you really don't give a shit about the source material.
The number of human demon hunters in media numbers in the dozens, possibly hundreds. The number of demons fighting demons? Dante. Him being demonic is what makes him unique. All being human does is give him motivation to fight demons. Oh geez, where are they gonna find a reason for him to hate demons. I mean, its not like they're, you know, FUCKING DEMONS! And "you killed my mother" is your great reason? Really? Its so fucking old and overused its nearly the oldest cliche in existence. You could use any other motivation and it would be less cliche. You could say he hates demons because they took his Bar Mtzvah money, and it would be easier to take Dantes motivations seriously.

And if you've ever actually played Pocket Tales, you'd know it was completely different on every single level, and did exactly what you said - it made Conker a horny alcoholic, and switched focus to a weaker aspect of the game - the humour. So, yes, this is exactly like Conkers Bad Fur Day.
The "You killed my mother" wasn't overused when the first game came out, not to mention the series parodying several tropes, it worked quite well, the rest of your argument just ignores the issues already brought so I won't bother explaining something to somebody who won't listen.

It changed a character and game that was barely established, this would be like Nintendo changing Mario into a drunk wife beater.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Warachia said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Warachia said:
OutrageousEmu said:
His place as a half demon who is out to kill them doesn't matter, then?

Okay, a good reboot that takes absolutely nothing from the previous? Conkers Bad Fur Day. A complete reboot of the character and the series.
Excuse me while I call BULLSHIT. Conkers bad fur day was a sequel to a gameboy game on an entirely different system, it might have changed themes, it didn't suddenly make Conker half alien or switch to focus entirely on the weaker aspects of the game.

That bit about Dante being half demon is still there, but now for some reason he's also half angel, removing any trace of the original character who was always proud of his humanity, and who started a demon hunting business because his human mother was killed by them.

Obviously the games aren't lauded for their story, but that's one of the first things you learn in the first game, and ignoring it shows you really don't give a shit about the source material.
The number of human demon hunters in media numbers in the dozens, possibly hundreds. The number of demons fighting demons? Dante. Him being demonic is what makes him unique. All being human does is give him motivation to fight demons. Oh geez, where are they gonna find a reason for him to hate demons. I mean, its not like they're, you know, FUCKING DEMONS! And "you killed my mother" is your great reason? Really? Its so fucking old and overused its nearly the oldest cliche in existence. You could use any other motivation and it would be less cliche. You could say he hates demons because they took his Bar Mtzvah money, and it would be easier to take Dantes motivations seriously.

And if you've ever actually played Pocket Tales, you'd know it was completely different on every single level, and did exactly what you said - it made Conker a horny alcoholic, and switched focus to a weaker aspect of the game - the humour. So, yes, this is exactly like Conkers Bad Fur Day.
The "You killed my mother" wasn't overused when the first game came out, not to mention the series parodying several tropes, it worked quite well, the rest of your argument just ignores the issues already brought so I won't bother explaining something to somebody who won't listen.

It changed a character and game that was barely established, this would be like Nintendo changing Mario into a drunk wife beater.
BULL! SHIT! It was overused! It was overused when it was the motivation for Magneto, in NINETEEN! FUCKING! SIXTY! THREE!

No, its taking an established douche and giving him something positive. So it would be like them taking Lara Croft, taking away the aloof sociopathic nature, and making her relatable.
They took an established character and made him likeable in the third game. If you haven't looked the series up, don't try to pretend you have.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
OutrageousEmu said:
BFD wasn't a reboot. It was a sequel.

and it isn't the half-demon part of dante thats important, its the half-HUMAN part.
No, the fact that he's a demon fighting demons is important. You're attributing artifical portance to him being human because they changed that.

And BFD was a reboot, as it openly contradicted everything from the first game.
no, it's a sequel, because it says it is, and just gives less of a fuck about continuity than banjo kazooie

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
No one cares about Dante's hair color, some fans like it black anyways.

Even with black hair you can still tell that's Dante. Some people don't like the new game because it's a completely different character posing as Dante, but the main reason people hate it is because of the slow gameplay and complete disregard to the tiny bit of canon that remained consistent. Congrats trolls, I mad. You have to be a troll or retarded if you seriously believe HURR DURR THEY CHANGED THE HAIR COLOR SO NOW FANS DON'T LIKE IT.

If you like slow tap triangle to win and sometimes O, go ahead and get this game. Just don't ask why the people who like crazy combos and cheesy one liners don't.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
I think it looks cool, everything that people have been getting angry about I`ve been okay with

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Umm, I guess the movement looks cool, and I like the effect they used for the extending wall.

The combat trailer looks pretty tight, should be fun to play, but a little slower than the franchise is known for.

Anyway, this is a little off topic, but they do realize that the abbreviation for this game will be: DMC:DMC right?

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
The whole 'they dragged me into Limbo' part reminded me of Bayonetta - you know, how she had to enter the Purgatory to see and fight the angels. Oh well. So far I'm starting to like the game, even though i'm still pissed at the new Dante's look. His voice actor is fine though. I really liked how he delivered those few lines that he had =D

Sadly the combat reminds me more of God of War than Devil May Cry =(

lacktheknack said:
Makes me think of Prince of Persia 2008... a game I actually LIKED.

But in the fighting trailer OH LAWD THAT SOUNDTRACK PLEASE KILL IT
Say whaaa?... What is this I don't even.

How does it remind you of PoP2008?

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
The combat seems to reliant on the "stretchy sword" mechanic. It is just "snatch" from DMC4, but I felt like it completely broke that game as well. If the changing surroundings happened mid-fight, then I would be interested. As it stands now, it tacks on more incredibly frustrating platforming, and stops the user from taking a break to admire the beautiful scenery (although we have yet to see any good scenery anyway), breaking flow.