Ever Cheer For the Bad Guy?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Have you ever been watching a movie, reading a book or playing a game and found yourself hoping the villain succeeds? Be it due to you agreeing with the morals of the villain or just that the protaginists are complete dicks or douchebags, have you ever just wanted the bad guy to get away with it all?

Personally, I just watched the film Orphan for the second time and it centers around a young girl who turns out to be a psychotic murderer (don't worry, I'm not spoiling anything big) and I just thought the whole time "I really want her to get away with this" mainly because the enitire family she was trying to kill were a bunch of idiots.

So, Escapist, am I the only one who sometimes roots for the bad guy?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
First off, high five for watching Orphan!

I often root for the bad guys, just because movies nowadays are too predictable. I'd like to see the bad guy win once and a while, so I cheer for them.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I at least found my self sympathizing with VIKI in i robot.
I was sitting there genuinely thinking that the protagonist was being illogical and irrational.

Edit: Does this mean that the normal person would perceive me as evil?

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I wonder how long it takes for Death Note and Code Geass (up to interpretation mind you) get mentioned.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
As long as the evil guy actually has a brain then I always root for him.

By no brain I mean the idiots that put the protagonist in some sort of silly machine that will kill them in 5 hours when they could just shoot them in the forehead to avoid risk, retards...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Lets see... out of all the movies I've seen have I ever rooted for the bad guys?

Pirates of the Caribbean, rooted for Davy Jones

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
I also rooted for the orphan in Orphan. Huh.
OT: I don't necessarily always root for the bad guy to win, but I always find myself hoping that every good guy in the movie (or TV show) will just die.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Definitely, if the bad guy is the kind of bad guy who won't brag about his victory for too long afterwards.

Like in Ninety Nine Nights, I so desperately wanted Dwykkfario to achieve his goal, as the two main protagonists basically cleave their way through thousands of innocent goblins just for the sake of getting revenge on ONE Goblin.

Nouw said:
Lets see... out of all the movies I've seen have I ever rooted for the bad guys?

Pirates of the Caribbean, rooted for Davy Jones
I felt so sorry for Davy Jones when I found out about his relationship with Calypso. After that scene, I was desperately hoping he kicked the pirates' asses.

Aug 25, 2009
I rooted for the truck that nearly crushed Bella Swann at the beginning of Twilight if that counts, but I also see Bella as being the villain of that series so the truck driver is in fact the good guy so it may not count.

Aside from that I very rarely root for the villain. I may feel sympathy for him, and want him to achieve his goals, but that's not exactly the same. Rooting for him would imply that instead of wanting the hero to win I wanted the villain to win. Given that it takes a really awful hero to make me want them to fail it doesn't happen so often, and even then it's more a case of wanting the hero to fail than the villain to win.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I might sound silly but: Lord Voldemort from the Harry Potter books. I mean, seriously, that guy had nothing in his life. No friends, no nice teacher, no reputation, no endless vault of money, he just sat down and studied, he actually worked for his stuff.

He just didn't trip over his destiny one day and everything went well from there on, more ore less by chance.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
All the time. In fact, I often root for the bad guy more often than the good guy.

I'm sick of movies and games with happy endings. It's not realistic!

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
star wars: what did the empire ever do wrong? i didn't see any slave labour or death camps
half life 2: when Breen is offering freeman to work with the combine, second time I wanted to join them

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
On several occasions, yes. The ones that most prominently stick out in my mind involve Chaos in W40k and some of the Decepticons in Transformers.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
One Piece. Most of the time because the "evil" protagonists are so damn awesome.

That's all.