Ever feel sorry for the enemies you've killed in a game?

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
999realthings said:
Why would I feel sorry for a bunch of 1s and 0s
Because representations of violent acts towards innocents STILL ARE CAPABLE of tugging our moral heartstrings, no matter how 'real' they are.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
I always felt kind of bad for the Grunts in Halo, seeing as most of them seemed to press-ganged into being in the Covenant, they run away from you yelling in terror and soiling themselves and there's something rather disconcerting about seeing a small, shelled alien wailing in woe for the death of his best mate.

That and Rana Theroptis (sp?) from the Mass Effect games is one of those NPCs in the game which, when given the option, I can never quite find the heart to kill. She keeps doing evil stuff but she's such a damn idiot, and a well-intentioned one that I can't help but want to let her go.

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
I actully feel bad about killing splicers in bioshock. I feel bad because they're like drug addtics going though withdrawal/a bad trip. they need help but that help will never come.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
Well sometimes i feel bad when that last straggler in the batman games is all like: "Don't hurt me batman! ... Please..."

But then i remember i don't kill them and they're likely to wake up later and try to shoot me.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Napoleon: Total War

The massive armies of Russian Militia who were shot to pieces and torn apart by my small, yet experienced British army. They sent four full armies packed with militia at me and lost thousands of men. I lost 42 overall. I then read the description for the Russian militia and realised that the futile hordes of corpses that were piled on the freezing fields of Russia were patriotic young men supposedly armed with pitchforks and whatever they could get their hands on. Sent by generals they revered as heroes to march for weeks across the frozen wastes of Russia that can decimate the most hardy of armies, they were normal people marching to their death against the best Britain had to offer.

Thousands of men, frozen to the bone and exhausted, underfed, underequipped and told to march over clear ground through a storm of artillery fire and being picked off by Riflemen then having to brave the guns of the British line, who are faster, more accurate shots than them and have more ammunition. Most of the Russians never got to fire a single shot. Out of respect for these brave men, when they turned to flee my cavalry did not chase them down, my artillery stopped and my riflemen helf back, allowing the majority of these men to survive. At least until the next turn when the Russian generals parked them on bridges and let the winter kill them off so that when the four armies were combined they numbered only 500. Poor guys only wanted to serve their country.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I am the N'th person to say this... But poor, poor colossi. They didn't deserve it. Especially that one flying snake-like one that's simply minding his own business til I blow his bubble.

Not that it matters, as no one in their right mind is going to read 5 pages into this thread and see my entry.

Charles McGuffin

Aug 4, 2011
I feel kind of bad for all the kills, that aren't actually neccessary, but make the game easier. Or the enemys in RE4 and 5, which are basically completely innocent people, which have been infected with a parasite who take control over their body.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
Recently in dark souls, I defeated Sif. He started limping around and falling over and shit, I felt like such an asshole.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Generic enemies? Definitely not. There are hundreds if not thousands of the same cookie cutter enemies in the average game. If I felt bad for every single one I killed, then I'd probably be suicidal or something.

Actual characters which have depth and character growth and all those fancy technical terms to define a good character? Possibly. It really depends on how well written the character was, and how attached to him/her I am.

Generally, however, my answer is no.

Jan 27, 2011
I tend to feel a bit guilty sometimes. Especially when the enemies are just hired mooks or guys with tragic pasts. But I usually put that aside right quick.

Xombiebubble said:
Who's the real bad guy here?
How about the asshat that killed the girl? >: ( I think he's the real bad guy here. Sacrificing someone because of a "cursed fate"?! ...Not cool, man.

But yeah, I did feel a bit guilty about slaying the collossi. But in the end, they were between me, and the girl I was trying to save. That's all I needed to know.

RaikuFA said:
Looks like it's up to me to post this:

YOU SPOONY BARD!! I wanted to post that....You beat me to it!

SeatedSkeleton

Sep 8, 2011
Totally agree on this one. I also felt bad about killing the Rakk Hive in Borderlands. It was just chillin' in its field until i came along and torched it because some mystical space woman told me to. Clearly the big animals (ugly or cute) tug at the heart strings.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
Crazycat690 said:
And, well when good characters are the enemy, anyone here who played Dark Messiah? Well anyway, you have this demon inside you, and she was with you all the way, when other human characters lost me or vice versa, naturally I bonded with this voice in my head. So, there's basically a interest conflict between the female demon and a good human female, late in the game the good girl says she knows about the dark presence inside you, and that you should stop by a church to get rid of it. Since I liked both characters, I thought about it, but finally I skipped it, keeping my inner demon. So what happened then is the good girl decided she couldn't let me go around with it and attacked me, being an otherwhise good person siding with her would come naturally, so killing her then really made me feel bad.

Ahh... Dark Messiah was actually pretty brilliant, I hope that the studios upcoming game "Dishonored" is equally good or better.
Weird, usually my "standard" behaviour in games is Good, being almost obsessive about getting 100% positive results whenever possible. It may be because the female mage companion in Dark Messiah was so damn useless and annoying, but I had no trouble siding with the bad guys. And joining the bad guys was encouraged even more by the voice in your head constantly ridiculing the companion and her efforts.

before leaving her to her own fate in the spider pit. Also I was happy to kick her ass a second time after she became a lich. It was like having a cake and eating it too!

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
The obvious answer would be Modern Warfare 2's "No Russian" intro, but that's a little unoriginal. I always felt a little sorry for killing Andrew Ryan In Bioshock, I mean YEAH he had pretty much lost his mind at that point, but I've always appreciated the principals of Objectivism, and never thought he was completely wrong.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Gulleko said:
The enemies that nearly break my heart are the wolves in Fable 2 & 3, they just look and sound so much like dogs...
Oh, and the Mabari! :(
Yeah... general animal killing is bad times for me, especially wolves what with the whelping.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I felt bad right at the end of the Darkness when they show a little montage of Jackie going completely berserk at his Uncle Mob Boss' troops and as they lay dying and afraid, they recognise you and plead with you. No other enemy in the game does that, and there's one pathetic man who's impaled on a fence and he begs for his life. Made me feel like a right bastard.

999realthings

Jun 23, 2011
Don Savik said:
999realthings said:
Why would I feel sorry for a bunch of 1s and 0s
Because representations of violent acts towards innocents STILL ARE CAPABLE of tugging our moral heartstrings, no matter how 'real' they are.
Maybe I been desentized to NPC violence due to GTA.

Kronoscar

Feb 18, 2010
Only a few times. MGS3 had the Boss, and The Sorrow. The Sorrow killed me inside. There was also Maiden Astraea in Demon's Souls, and Sif in Dark Souls.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls.
this, it was one of the few boss fights that left me uneasy after killing her, hard to explain if you haven't been there