Ever lose faith... in humanity?

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
A population of nearly 7 billion suggests that our nurturing side is stronger than our destructive side. To the point where over-population is a problem...we just can't kill eachother fast enough, can we?
A big population doesn't really make the species seem more fantastic if you ask me. Rather the opposite. There's plenty of rats and cockroaches in the world as well, but you don't see many people cheering over it now do you?

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
If anything makes me lose hope for humanity, it's this thread full of elitists...

But no. I haven't lost faith in humanity.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
Plenty of times. Bush winning the first time, Bush's second win, the fact that anyone likes twilight, the documentary "jesus camp," the list goes on.

Oh, and pretty much any time i hear about tea party things going on now. Though, i found it hilarious that they called themselves tea baggers for a while before they figured out tea bagging meant.

Apr 24, 2008
Housebroken Lunatic said:
A population of nearly 7 billion suggests that our nurturing side is stronger than our destructive side. To the point where over-population is a problem...we just can't kill eachother fast enough, can we?
A big population doesn't really make the species seem more fantastic if you ask me. Rather the opposite. There's plenty of rats and cockroaches in the world as well, but you don't see many people cheering over it now do you?
It doesn't have to be a positive or a negative. It can just be incidental. I was only disputing the implication that mankind is only being true to itself when it is being violent and destructive. I think that if you give most people the chance to be peaceful and friendly, they will jump at it. Does the severe lack of soldiers willing to fight our wars not hint that maybe we desire peace and aren't just looking for any excuse to destroy?

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
No faith in humanity, no reason to have faith in idiots.

I believe Yahtzee put it best, 70% of humanity isn't worth shit. I know from personal experience how stupid, racist, close-minded, manipulative, and corrupt people can be and I have no intention in putting faith in pissants until someone gives me a good reason.

This may sound a bit harsh, but the day that humanity is cured of the stupid virus is the day that I will have faith

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
If multi-million causality wars, omnibillionaire-dollar exorbitancies of greed and the TV program "My Sweet 16" haven't been strong indicators enough, not only would I warn you that within the year you might be needing Polysulphates to stimulate your tongue let alone your imagination, I have never really had faith in humanity alone.
Faith in God is the only resolution.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Every. Single. Day.

And especially when I realized that the media controls our life. At least here in America where it LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES Obama. And always did. Damn, all the media in America is left wing except for Fox, which is 85% Stupid, 15% Truth.

theklng

May 1, 2008
every single second of the life of my breathing body. i do not even want to associate myself with it.

Cheery Lunatic said:
If anything makes me lose hope for humanity, it's this thread full of elitists...

But no. I haven't lost faith in humanity.
why, kant? WHY DO WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH YOUR LEGACY?

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
My faith in humanity was wiped during my 2nd year of psychology classes at college when I learned about a famous study.

The study had a subject and a 'scientist' in a white lab coat. The scientist instructed the subject that he was going to help conduct a learning experiment. He was told there was an individual in the next room who had to take a test, and every time that subject got an answer wrong, a light would display and the main subject would have to press a button, delivering an electric shock to the person in the next room. Further, every wrong answer gave a harsher and harsher shock, with the most extreme (20 answers wrong) labeled as 'lethal shock'.

Now in reality, there was no 'test taker in the next room' there was not a human hooked up and receiving electrical shocks. There was, however, a very talented voice actor who would yell, scream about his heart condition and plead for mercy with every shock.

Now, the real subject would have complete control over the buttons. Further the subject was always assured by the 'scientist' that this was a officially controlled experiment and that he (the scientist) accepted all responsibility for what happened to the individual in the next room.

The test measured how far a subject would go down the shock severity scale before they would refuse to push the button again, even against the assurances of the scientist.

Nearly 70% of the subjects tested took the shock all the way to the 'lethal shock' level.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
It doesn't have to be a positive or a negative. It can just be incidental. I was only disputing the implication that mankind is only being true to itself when it is being violent and destructive. I think that if you give most people the chance to be peaceful and friendly, they will jump at it. Does the severe lack of soldiers willing to fight our wars not hint that maybe we desire peace and aren't just looking for any excuse to destroy?
"Lack of soldiers"? Forgive me for saying so but it seems there's always plenty of idiots you can trick into "serving their country", so I don't know if I agree with you there.

Second, people don't really jump at being peaceful. The persistent crime rate and domestic, everyday violence all over the world plainly shows what "fans of peace" people really are. And even in our so called "civilised" and "modern" industrial nations we still cultivate and nurture a culture that clearly promotes violent behaviour. We always talk about individualism and the importance of not allowing oneself become discriminated or "dissed" in any form or fashion and the demand of "respectz".

Of course, most individualists are going to excuse themselves by saying: "oh no, we never advocated violence at all. This ideology of ours doesn't in any way mention any advocacy of violence", but even a blind person can see how that doesn't work in reality. If you raise people in a manner that actually promotes conflict with people of different opinions, then there will be blood. History has shown us this over and over. So either our so called "modern society" isn't as smart/intelligent as it makes itself out to be all the fucking time, or the citizens of said society are just a bunch of flaming hypocrites.

Either way, it does not paint a pretty picture of mankind in general, and I for one don't see the reason in sticking by a bunch of hypocritical ideals of a better world. It's just not gonna happen, because the answer of how to achieve a better world is staring pretty much everyone in the face, but no one is really willing to work towards it.

So it doesn't really matter what a few people actually achieve in their pursuit of doing good, because their actions are ultimately turned to shit by the rest of the awful species. Any good deed will pretty much always have ten bad ones to counter-balance it, regardless of time or place.

So there's only two ways to give a satisfying conclusion. Either ultimate extermination, or simply dropping all the hypocrisy.

MastrChieaf

Mar 23, 2009
Hubilub said:
By asking if we have lost faith in humanity, you imply that we once had faith in it.

Which I never had.
Pretty much this.

You cant lose faith in something if you never had faith to begin with. Kind of like how you cant be betrayed by someone you never trusted

hellswarmglow

Mar 12, 2010
Perhaps if there were no longer blatantly stupid injustices being publicized, people would become complacent and we would have no progress. Or maybe it would be heavenly... I'm just glad someone besides me sees that the world isn't making sense, despite having iPods and other achievements.

angergod

Feb 28, 2010
Humanity truly hasn't earned faith. It's been nothing but a fuck up since the beginning. every day I hate people more and more. I always manage to hear or read something that tops what I thought was already as bad as it gets.

I know if I was god I would have abandon humanity too.

Maybe we should just blow the whole damn world up. Not like there's much to miss.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
In my late teens I was a bubbling cauldron of misanthropy. Then I grew up a little. Also I taught myself to pay attention to my immediate surroundings first, then the rest of the world.

Yes things are rather shit-shaped at the moment, always have been and always will be in one way or another. If it's not people being brutally murdered or youth crime occurring at younger and younger ages it's money this and expenses that. Yeah it's all shit, we've proved we are a vicious species and will continue fucking each other over at every opportunity to be the one on top.

However consider this: for every 1 person doing something awful, just remember there's at least 2 people doing something nice for their fellow human. Unfortunately, every time someone does something smart there's someone doing something stupid to balance it out. We haven't yet figured out how to beat that one. Anyway, my point is humanity is a strange thing. It's messed up for sure, but it can also be beautiful. Remember the news only reports the bad things that are happening because it sells, not everyone is a dipshit who will actually believe that videogames are to blame for crime and governments spending money they don't have... well that's a great thing because now the point is proven, once you go down the road of politics as a career you are corrupt by default and now everyone can see.

Remember the glass is half full. Yep, it had to be empty at some point otherwise how could you fill it? But don't lose faith in humanity just yet.

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
Yes, whenever threads like these are published.
Honestly, if people have lost faith in humanity enough to post a three new threads about it every month, then they need to do something about it. Bitching and moaning in the Escapist forums is not a good way to go about it. /wrists or GTFO.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
No not really.

Sure there are some pretty stupid and horrid things out there, there are plenty of good things out there. You just have to look carefully.
Agreed good sir.

As for all the horrible and stupid things in life, why not work to change them?