Ever Watched A TV Episode That Pissed You Off So Much You Quit Watching The Series?

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
Hannibal942 said:
Happiness Assassin said:
Hannibal942 said:
I'm American and I don't understand ginger jokes. I really don't fucking get why they're reviled. Because....they have red hair and freckles? To be fair, the show you describe seems to be making fun of this attitude, ridiculing ginger hatred by presenting the logical extreme. It's hard for me to take that scene seriously from my point of view.
Really? You don't know. It is because of South Park. There is no real reason beyond the fact that Cartman said gingers don't have souls. It really is that simple.

OT: I quit watching the Walking Dead for a while part way into season 2, though I did get back into it with season 3. Considering the fact that I have a full grasp of everything going on now, it seems I didn't miss much.
I always assumed that episode was symptom. So you're telling me that this joke about gingers didn't exist before South Park? I have a hard time believing Matt Stone and Trey Parker created that joke in a vacuum.
Ginger jokes have existed for a long time. It has always been light harted though.
My favourite is Tim Minchin's Prejudice

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Hannibal942 said:
I always assumed that episode was symptom. So you're telling me that this joke about gingers didn't exist before South Park? I have a hard time believing Matt Stone and Trey Parker created that joke in a vacuum.
I think it may have ties with sentiments that go back as far as the middle ages, but South Park popularized for a new age without any such sentiments. Without them the term ginger wouldn't have come into popular usage. So either blame them or wider British culture for the constant mockery.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I used to like Wilfred, until the episode about Wilfred's previous owner. My friends were watching it one night, while I was really paranoid. It was just a little too much, so I didn't go back.

I had a similar problem with Breaking Bad, except it was always the morning after and it was just too dark for hung-over me.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
The last Star Trek TV series, Enterprise, started off really, really bad. It wasn't the actor's faults, they were all pretty good really, but the writing was just god awful. So pitiful, it made me sad and angry, it really did, and I usually don't get so passionate about TV.

Well there was some episode where Archer condemned a species to likely death through inaction, pre-prime directive, because he didn't want to interfere or some nonsense. It was an episode that was trying to show the evolution of the prime directive, but it was so ham-fisted and forced, it was totally out of character for Archer, and just put me off a series I already was really starting to despise.

I actually went back and watched the end of the third season and all of the fourth season after hearing it was much better and I am glad I did, as it WAS much better. Such a shame that show got cancelled right after it found itself.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Although I still like the series, one episode of Adventure Time pissed me off and I stopped watching episodes for a while.
This is the anticipated episode where Lady gives birth to her and Jakes kids, the kids themselves are cute enough and the episode was going well, but then they pull a fast one by the end, Jake was planning on moving into Lady's house to live with her and the kids, but at the end of the episode, he goes back to the treehouse, claiming the kids are old enough to take care of themselves, therefor, keeping the status quo.

The reason I am pissed was that I was looking forward to seeing this episode and how much impact it would have on the series. The writers obviously did not like the idea and axed the kids out of the show as quick as possible, the episode itself was rushed (needed 2 episodes) and I doubt the kids will even appear again.

Which annoys me because very little would be changed. The episodes usually started with Finn and Jake in the treehouse, the episodes could have started with Finn visiting Jake, or vice versa. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll start watching the series again, but that was tremendously disappointing. If they wanted to keep the status quo, why make such an episode in the first if they bunked out of the idea?
Adventure time is not supposed to have any real kind of continuity. It is little 11 minute snippets of fantastical happenings with a simple, emotional theme to them. The show would have been ruined if Jake had stayed with Ladycorn for the rest of the series.

Kevin7557

May 31, 2008
Hagi said:
Most Anime I (try) watching.

Usually around the second or third episode, when it becomes clear the series has absolutely no interest in telling an actual story or present actual characters but is simply ticking off stereotypes.
I'm sorry, but this threw me for a loop. What anime do you actually try watching, because I maybe could only think of a few that do that and they're all in the Slapstick/comedy department. I take it you never watched Fruit Basket or any other story based anime.

For me it was Baka and Test. To begin with I didn't have much fondness for this anime for two reasons. 1) I can't stand it when men don't stick up for themselves. 2) It was in no way, shape or form how it was advertised. This really irked me that they throw out the advertised plot after episode 2 and drift into repeating the same tired bs over and over again. Around Episode 5 or 6 the stalker finally has a character changing revelation and I'm like owe okay finally some character change here, I guess this could actually turn out to be an okay show after all. Nope next episode right back to the same tired bs. After that I pretty much just stopped watching it.

Gogo 13 is another but this only only lasted till episode 3. The series was never very good from the start, I always always thought it was so full of itself, but then in Episode 3 or 4 they introduce a gun that can virtually never miss and guess how Gogo 13 survives that episode? That's right the gun misses an unmissable shot that anyone could make with a regular gun. After that I told my brother I was done and wouldn't be downloading (Anime Network on Direct TV) any more episodes as i considered the show garbage. I was shocked to learn the show went on for 26 episodes.

Gennaroc

Jul 30, 2011
Hunter85792 said:
Lost. I decided I might as well give it a chance a couple of months ago (despite knowing about the shit finale that was plastered everywhere on the internet half a decade ago)and got up to the start of season 3. Nope. Nope. NOPE. God damn it Abrams, you could have had it all... but you fucked it up. You fucked it up real good.

Plenty of animes too. I usually last one or two episodes before leaving them alone forever.
Abrams wasn't even involved past the pilot, and the show gets a hell of a lot more interesting and way more tightly paced starting season 4, when the writers were officially given the number of episodes they had left to wrap things up in.

Victory of the Daleks springs to mind for doctor who, that was just god-awful in literally every way conceivable, but season 6 in general kinda kickstarted my interest in the show again, with the inclusion of the Silence as the primary recurring villains. Still though, I really dislike a lot of what Moffat has done to the show as a whole, and I'm always close to the edge of just giving a giant fuck you to it all and leaving.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Kevin7557 said:
Hagi said:
Most Anime I (try) watching.

Usually around the second or third episode, when it becomes clear the series has absolutely no interest in telling an actual story or present actual characters but is simply ticking off stereotypes.
I'm sorry, but this threw me for a loop. What anime do you actually try watching, because I maybe could only think of a few that do that and they're all in the Slapstick/comedy department. I take it you never watched Fruit Basket or any other story based anime.
Eh...

Just random anime I see recommended, mostly here on the Escapist. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all anime. There's some good stuff. Just most...

But hey, I'm a guy who thought Death Note was little more than an immature dickintelligence-waving contest between two ridiculous marty sue protagonists designed for viewers to self-insert into, so what do I know?

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
SuperSamio64 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So I just watched the season finale of The Clone Wars, and the reveal was just as moronic as I thought it would be. Barriss turns to the dark side because "The Republic is corrupt, and the jedi are nothing but murderers who started this war!"

So the obvious solution is to then blow up the Jedi temple, murder your friends and family and then try to blame it on your best friend while you run around cackling like a madwoman? For fuck's sakes, nothing about this whole plot had anything to do with Barriss as a character. It could have been any Jedi and it would still be fucking stupid. Making it Barriss was just an insult to anyone who knows about her character. It isn't like she was defined by anything in the tv show. She hadn't shown up since season 2 for goodness sake.
Hang on, don't you see her die in Revenge of the Sith though? You know, as a Jedi and not a Sith/Dark side person? I know Clone Wars and RotS don't really mesh very well in terms of continuity, but that's a pretty big thing to retcon.
Barriss Offee does not appear in Revenge of the Sith, however, she was shown dying in the ROTS comic.

Another offender on The Clone Wars was how they killed off Adi Gallia. In the comic Obsession, this happened.

But in The Clone Wars, she is killed by Savage Oppress, robbing Grievous of another Jedi kill. By the time the show is over the only kill Grievous will have is that damn Mon Calamari from Season 1 and Captain Tarpals.
Huh. I was sure Bariss was in RotS. Maybe I'm thinking of Luminara then. Doesn't Grievous kill loads of Jedi in that other 'Clone Wars' series? The 2D one that sort-of led into Episode III. Mind you, that's probably been blitzed out of continuity as well.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Scrubs season 9 episode 1. Didn't even get a smile out of it except for the small part with the janitor.

Megalodon said:
I gave up on that show part way thorugh series 3, "Chuck Verses the Other Guy". By the end of that epidose it looked like the entire plot of the show was resolved. This had already happened once before (end of series 2), I gave up on the writers ever allowing a satisfying plot resolution to stick, and so stopped watching.
Probably not a bad choice to stop there, the show went really downhill in season 4.

AVeryClassyCat said:
Family Guy for me was an okay show that every now and then got somewhere near quality comedy, but there was a scene wherein Brian vomited for at least a minute after learning that he had slept with a transgender woman that was just played in this really uncomfortable way that I couldn't really forgive the show for. I mean, there didn't even seem to be a punchline (not that there'd be a good chance that any joke Seth could have made would have been much better)...it was just really disappointing.
The part that completely killed the show for me was the Conway Twitty thing. I mean I hadn't genuinely enjoyed the show in a while, I was just sort of begrudgingly watching it. Then they threw in several minutes of a guy singing, hoping to get a couple of cheap laughs because "LOL IT'S SO RANDOM" and I gave up.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
I feel ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I watched such a show, but I watched South Park for a while. I probably saw only three seasons worth, but the episode that crossed the line for me (out of the billion and one lines that they had already "crossed") was the episode called "Ass Burgers" in season 15. All the mocking of a behavioral disorder/mental health problem, the idea of alcohol as a solution, the most blatant example of a show reversing character development I've ever seen... It just made me too angry. Either that episode or their parody of "Human Centipede" made me hate the entirety of that show forever. That may just be because merely reading the wikipedia article for that monstrosity of a movie nearly made me vomit, but I just don't care.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Haven't stopped watching it but "The Fly" in Breaking Bad was a fucking awful episode.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Aqua Teen Hunger Force, or whatever the series might have actually been called at the time. It was the episode where dogs continuously rape the next door neighbor. To the extent that there were any jokes in the episode, the punchline would have been, "Ha ha! He's being physically forced to have sex he doesn't want to!"

Rape is not a punchline.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Your Gaffer said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Although I still like the series, one episode of Adventure Time pissed me off and I stopped watching episodes for a while.
This is the anticipated episode where Lady gives birth to her and Jakes kids, the kids themselves are cute enough and the episode was going well, but then they pull a fast one by the end, Jake was planning on moving into Lady's house to live with her and the kids, but at the end of the episode, he goes back to the treehouse, claiming the kids are old enough to take care of themselves, therefor, keeping the status quo.

The reason I am pissed was that I was looking forward to seeing this episode and how much impact it would have on the series. The writers obviously did not like the idea and axed the kids out of the show as quick as possible, the episode itself was rushed (needed 2 episodes) and I doubt the kids will even appear again.

Which annoys me because very little would be changed. The episodes usually started with Finn and Jake in the treehouse, the episodes could have started with Finn visiting Jake, or vice versa. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll start watching the series again, but that was tremendously disappointing. If they wanted to keep the status quo, why make such an episode in the first if they bunked out of the idea?
Adventure time is not supposed to have any real kind of continuity. It is little 11 minute snippets of fantastical happenings with a simple, emotional theme to them. The show would have been ruined if Jake had stayed with Ladycorn for the rest of the series.
How so?

Like I said, all adventures could begin with Jake visiting Finn, Finn visiting Jake or have them already walking towards the next adventure, I can't see how the show would be ruined if they simply didn't live together, nothing is stopping them from hanging out.

As for having no continuity, Ice King (Simon) and Marceline have an unknown history together and will be explored further (an upcoming episode called Simon and Marcy) and lets not forget them bringing Lemongrab back.
I didn't say there was no continuity, just that it isn't a show that has plots that span multiple episodes (I know there were a couple multi-episode stories). I should say it would have ruined it, as that is hyperbole, but it would have been a distraction from the core of the show.
You see either the kids and Ladycorn would feature more prominently, throwing off the balance of the show, or they would be window dressing, only appearing when Finn comes to get Jake and in that case why are you bothering to keep them around anyway?

The way they handled it leaves open the possibility of more episodes featuring his kids. I think they handled it just right.